* Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20  3:22 Linus Torvalds
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2005-09-20  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahoy landlubbers!

Here be t' Linux-2.6.14-rc2 release.

Not a whole lot o' excitement, ye scurvy dogs, but it has t' ALSA, LSM,
audit and watchdog merges that be missed from -rc1, and a merge series
with Andrew. But on t' whole pretty reasonable - you can see t' details in
the shortlog (appended).

Arrr!

		Linus

---
Abhay Salunke:
  dell_rbu: enhancements and fixes

Adam Kropelin:
  ibmphp: Use dword accessors for PCI_ROM_ADDRESS
  pciehp: Use dword accessors for PCI_ROM_ADDRESS
  shpchp: Use dword accessors for PCI_ROM_ADDRESS
  qla2xxx: Use dword accessors for PCI_ROM_ADDRESS

Adrian Bunk:
  SECURITY must depend on SYSFS

Al Viro:
  epca iomem annotations + several missing readw()

Alan Cox:
  ide: clean up the garbage in eighty_ninty_three

Alexander Nyberg:
  Fix fs/exec.c:788 (de_thread()) BUG_ON

Alexey Dobriyan:
  [8021Q]: Add endian annotations.

Alok Kataria:
  Fix slab BUG_ON() triggered by change in array cache size

Amy Griffis:
  AUDIT: Prevent duplicate syscall rules

Andi Kleen:
  Fix MPOL_F_VERIFY
  Make BUILD_BUG_ON fail at compile time.
  x86_64: Export end_pfn

Andrew Morton:
  [WATCHDOG] driver-for-ibm-automatic-server-restart-watchdog-fix
  i2c-keywest warning fix
  set_current_state() commentary
  schedule_timeout_[un]interruptible() speedup
  s2io warning fixes
  x86_64: e820.c needs module.h
  x86_64: desc.h-needs smp.h
  seclvl-use-securityfs tidy
  dell_rbu tidy
  joystick-vs-x.org fix

Andrey Panin:
  [WATCHDOG] driver-for-ibm-automatic-server-restart-watchdog.patch

Anton Altaparmakov:
  NTFS: Fix various bugs in the runlist merging code.  (Based on libntfs
  NTFS: Fix handling of compressed directories that I broke in earlier changeset.
  NTFS: Fix ntfs_{read,write}page() to cope with concurrent truncates better.

Anton Blanchard:
  hvc_console: start kernel thread before registering tty
  ppc64: build fix

Antonino A. Daplas:
  fbdev Kconfig fix
  nv_i2c oops fix
  savagefb: Fix load failure of the Twister chipset
  vgacon: Fix sanity checking in vgacon_resize
  vc: Use correct size on buffer copy in vc_resize

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo:
  [DCCP]: Check if already in the CLOSING state in dccp_rcv_closereq
  [DCCP]: Handle SYNC packets in dccp_rcv_state_process
  [DCCP]: More precisely set reset_code when sending RESET packets
  [DCCP]: Introduce DCCP_SOCKOPT_SERVICE
  [DCCP]: Add MAINTAINERS and CREDITS entries
  [DCCP]: Move the ack vector code to net/dccp/ackvec.[ch]
  [CCID3]: Introduce include/linux/tfrc.h
  [DCCP]: Don't use necessarily the same CCID for tx and rx
  [DCCP]: Introduce CCID getsockopt for the CCIDs

Arnaud Patard:
  sata_sis: Fix typo in sata port2 initialisation

Arnaud Patard (Rtp):
  [WATCHDOG] s3c2410_wdt.c-state_warning.patch

Badari Pulavarty:
  AUDIT: Fix definition of audit_log_start() if audit not enabled

Bart De Schuymer:
  [BRIDGE-NF]: Fix iptables redirect on bridge interface

Cal Peake:
  Even more fallout from ATI Xpress timer workaround

Chris Mason:
  reiserfs: use mark_inode_dirty instead of reiserfs_update_sd

Chuck Ebbert:
  i386: Ignore masked FPU exceptions

Clemens Ladisch:
  [ALSA] ad1889: add AD1889 driver
  [ALSA] ad1889: add AD1889 driver docs
  [ALSA] hdsp: always initialize card name
  [ALSA] usb-audio: add SNDRV_PCM_INFO_BATCH flag
  [ALSA] sparse address space annotations
  [ALSA] opti93x: optimize a register access
  [ALSA] rtctimer: add option to make RTC timer the default sequencer timer
  [ALSA] set owner field in struct pci_driver

Con Kolivas:
  vm: kswapd cleanup: use pgdat

Dave Hansen:
  fix mm/Kconfig spelling

David Hardeman:
  [WATCHDOG] i6300esb.patch
  [WATCHDOG] i6300.h-removal-patch

David L Stevens:
  [IPV6]: Fix per-socket multicast filtering in sk_reuse case

David S. Miller:
  [NETLINK]: Reserve a slot for NETLINK_GENERIC.
  [COMPAT]: Fixup compat_do_execve()
  [LIB]: Consolidate _atomic_dec_and_lock()
  [NET]: Do not leak MSG_CMSG_COMPAT into userspace.
  [TG3]: Add AMD K8 to list of write-reorder chipsets.

David Woodhouse:
  AUDIT: Allow filtering of user messages
  AUDIT: Drop user-generated messages immediately while auditing disabled.
  AUDIT: Really exempt auditd from having its actions audited.
  AUDIT: Report lookup flags with path/inode records.
  AUDIT: Spawn kernel thread to list filter rules.
  AUDIT: Optimise the audit-disabled case for discarding user messages
  Add audit subsystem to MAINTAINERS, for my sins.
  AUDIT: Wait for backlog to clear when generating messages.
  AUDIT: Remove stray declaration of tsk from audit_receive_msg().
  AUDIT: No really, we don't want to audit auditd.
  AUDIT: Return correct result from audit_filter_rules()
  AUDIT: Clean up user message filtering
  AUDIT: Use KERN_NOTICE for printk of audit records
  AUDIT: Fix definition of audit_log() if audit not enabled
  AUDIT: Stop waiting for backlog after audit_panic() happens
  AUDIT: Really don't audit auditd.
  Fix positioning of audit in MAINTAINERS.
  AUDIT: Exempt the whole auditd thread-group from auditing
  AUDIT: Avoid scheduling in idle thread
  AUDIT: Fix compile error in audit_filter_syscall
  AUDIT: Fix livelock in audit_serial().
  AUDIT: Reduce contention in audit_serial()
  AUDIT: Fix task refcount leak in audit_filter_syscall()
  AUDIT: Speed up audit_filter_syscall() for the non-auditable case.
  Fix missing audit_syscall_exit() on ppc64 sigsuspend exit path
  [AUDIT] Allow filtering on system call success _or_ failure
  Fix build failure on ppc64 without CONFIG_AUDIT

Davide Libenzi:
  [ALSA] hda-codec - Bring the Vaio's RA826G HDA (82801) to life ...
  epoll: fix delayed initialization bug

Deepak Saxena:
  [ARM] 2917/1: Make IXP4xx mach_desc's depend on config options

Denis Lukianov:
  [MCAST]: Fix MCAST_EXCLUDE line dupes

Dipankar Sarma:
  Fix the fdtable freeing in the case of vmalloced fdset/arrays
  files: fix preemption issues

Domen Puncer:
  Remove arch/arm26/boot/compressed/hw-bse.c

Dominik Brodowski:
  pcmcia: warn on IOCTL usage

Florin Malita:
  [BOND]: Fix bond_init() error path handling.

Frank Pavlic:
  s390: ctc driver fixes
  s390: TSO related fixes in qeth driver
  s390: qeth driver fixes

George G. Davis:
  [ARM] 2896/1: Add sys_ipc_wrapper to pass 'fifth' argument on stack

Greg KH:
  add securityfs for all LSMs to use

H. Peter Anvin:
  RAID6 Altivec fix

Harald Welte:
  [NETFILTER]: Fix oops in conntrack event cache
  [NETFILTER] Fix Kconfig dependencies for nfnetlink/ctnetlink
  [NETFILTER] move nfnetlink options to right location in kconfig menu
  [NETFILTER]: Solve Kconfig dependency problem
  [NETFILTER]: Add new PPTP conntrack and NAT helper
  [NETFILTER]: Export ip_nat_port_{nfattr_to_range,range_to_nfattr}

Heiko Carstens:
  s390: bl_dev array size
  s390: show_cpuinfo fix

Herbert Xu:
  [TCP]: Compute in_sacked properly when we split up a TSO frame.
  [TCP]: Handle SACK'd packets properly in tcp_fragment().

Hidetoshi Seto:
  [IA64] mca_drv cleanup

Hugh Dickins:
  error path in setup_arg_pages() misses vm_unacct_memory()

Ian E. Morgan:
  [WATCHDOG] New SBC8360 watchdog driver (revised)

Ingo Molnar:
  Fix spinlock owner debugging

Ivan Kokshaysky:
  yenta oops fix
  Alpha: ISA IRQs fixup for dp264

James Chapman:
  [WATCHDOG] mv64x60_wdt.patch

James Courtier-Dutton:
  [ALSA] snd-ca0106: Tidy up volume controls
  [ALSA] snd-ca0106, snd-emu10k1: Add symlink in the sys tree.
  [ALSA] snd-emu10k1: ALSA bug#1297: Fix a error recognising the SB Live Platinum.

Jan Beulich:
  free initrd mem adjustment
  minor fbcon_scroll adjustment
  fbcon: constify font data
  matroxfb adjustments
  x86_64: NMI watchdog frequency calculation adjustments

Jaroslav Kysela:
  [ALSA] version 1.0.10rc1

Jay Vosburgh:
  bonding: plug reference count leak

Jean Delvare:
  i2c: kill an unused i2c_adapter struct member

Jeff Dike:
  uml: _switch_to code consolidation
  uml: breakpoint an arbitrary thread
  uml: Remove an unused file
  uml: Remove a useless include
  uml: Remove some build warnings
  uml: preserve errno in error paths
  uml: move libc code out of mem_user.c and tempfile.c
  uml: merge mem_user.c and mem.c
  uml: return a real error code
  uml: remove include of asm/elf.h
  uml: UML/i386 cmpxchg fix

Jeff Garzik:
  [libata] fix PIO completion race

Jens Axboe:
  fix pf request handling

Jens Osterkamp:
  net: fix spider_net media detection

Jimi Xenidis:
  ppc64: Fix recent regression

Jiri Slaby:
  [WATCHDOG] removes pci_find_device from i6300esb.c
  [WATCHDOG] i6300esb.c-2-bugs-little-cleanup.patch
  [ALSA] pci_find_device remove
  drivers/base/*: use kzalloc instead of kmalloc+memset

John W. Linville:
  e1000: correct rx_dropped counting
  e100: correct rx_dropped and add rx_missed_errors
  ixgb: correct rx_dropped counting
  pci: only call pci_restore_bars at boot

Jose Miguel Goncalves:
  [WATCHDOG] w83977f-watchdog-driver.patch

Julian Anastasov:
  [IPVS]: Really invalidate persistent templates
  [IPVS]: ip_vs_ftp breaks connections using persistence

Karsten Keil:
  i4l: Sedlbauer speed star II V 3.1 exist with various subversions
  Add PCI IDs for Sitecom DC-105
  cleanup whitespace in pci_ids.h
  Fix ST 5481 USB driver

Keith Owens:
  Correct xircom_cb use of CONFIG_NET_POLL_CONTROLLER
  [IA64] Add Documentation/ia64/mca.txt

Komuro:
  pcmcia: add another orinoco_cs id

KOVACS Krisztian:
  [NETFILTER] CLUSTERIP: introduce reference counting for entries
  [NETFILTER] CLUSTERIP: use a bitmap to store node responsibility data

Krzysztof Halasa:
  [WAN] hdlc_cisco: Fix regression introduced by skb->tail changes.

Kumar Gala:
  ppc32: remove use of asm/segment.h

Lennert Buytenhek:
  [ARM] 2911/1: ixp2000_reg_{read,write} accessors
  [ARM] 2909/1: remove IXP2000_PROD_ID
  [ARM] 2904/1: update ixp2000 defconfigs to 2.6.13
  [ARM] 2905/1: enable the ixp2000 i2c bus driver in ixp2000 defconfigs

Linus Torvalds:
  Fix up more strange byte writes to the PCI_ROM_ADDRESS config word
  Fix yenta error message when unable to find a bus assignment
  Partially revert "Fix time going twice as fast problem on ATI Xpress chipsets"
  x86-64/smp: fix random SIGSEGV issues
  Make fsnotify possibly work better for the inode removal case
  Linux v2.6.14-rc2

Marcel Holtmann:
  [Bluetooth] Add support for extended inquiry responses
  [Bluetooth] Prevent RFCOMM connections through the RAW socket
  [Bluetooth] Add ignore parameters to the HCI USB driver

Marcelo Tosatti:
  relayfs documentation typo

Mark J Cox:
  raw_sendmsg DoS on 2.6

Martin Habets:
  [ALSA] Several fixes for the Sun DBRI driver

Martin Schwidefsky:
  s390: default configuration
  s390: crypto driver patch take 2

matthieu castet:
  airo : fix channel number in scan

Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
  v4l: experimental Sliced VBI API support
  v4l: fixup on cx88_dvb for Dvico HDTV5 Gold

Michael Chan:
  [TG3]: Fix 4GB boundary tx handling

Michael Kerrisk:
  PR_GET_DUMPABLE returns incorrect info

Michal Piotrowski:
  dontdiff: add asm_offsets

Mike Miller:
  cciss: new controller pci/subsystem ids
  cciss: busy_initializing flag
  cciss: new disk register/deregister routines
  cciss: direct lookup for command completions
  cciss: bug fix in cciss_remove_one
  cciss: fix for DMA brokeness
  cciss: One Button Disaster Recovery support
  cciss: SCSI tape info for /proc

Mitsuru KANDA:
  [IPV6]: Check connect(2) status for IPv6 UDP socket (Re: xfrm_lookup)

Naveen Gupta:
  [WATCHDOG] i6300esb.c-WDT_ENABLE-bug
  [WATCHDOG] i6300esb-set_correct_reload_register_bit
  [WATCHDOG] i6300esb.c-pci_dev_put+nowayout-patch

Neil Brown:
  nfsd4: printk reduction
  nfsd4: move replay_owner
  nfsd4: fix open seqid incrementing in lock
  nfsd4: fix setclientid unlock of unlocked state lock
  Code cleanups in calbacks in svcsock

Nicolas Pitre:
  [ARM] 2910/1: missing Lubbock audio device declaration

OGAWA Hirofumi:
  FAT: miss-sync issues on sync mount (miss-sync on write)

Pantelis Antoniou:
  ppc32 8xx: flush_tlb_range() declaration uses wrong pointer type

Patrick McHardy:
  [NETFILTER]: Use correct type for "ports" module parameter
  [NETFILTER]: Simplify netbios helper
  [NETFILTER]: Fix rcu race in ipt_REDIRECT
  [NETFILTER]: Fix DHCP + MASQUERADE problem
  [NETFILTER]: Rename misnamed function

Paul Mackerras:
  ppc64: Make eeh_init function again

Pavel Machek:
  Tell people not to use pm_register()

Pekka J Enberg:
  CodingStyle: memory allocation

Peter Chubb:
  [IA64] Remove warnings for gcc 4.0 IA64 compilation.

Peter Hagervall:
  [TG3]: Sparse fixes for tg3

Peter Oberparleiter:
  s390: kernel stack corruption

Peter Osterlund:
  Remove unnecessary check_region references in comments
  pktcdvd: fix bogus BUG_ON
  pktcdvd: documentation update
  pktcdvd: more accurate I/O accounting
  pktcdvd: use kcalloc and kzalloc
  pktcdvd: BUG_ON cleanups

Peter Staubach:
  open returns ENFILE but creates file anyway

Randy Dunlap:
  use add_taint() for setting tainted bit flags
  Doc: update oops-tracing.txt (Tainted flags)
  feature removal of io_remap_page_range()

Richard Purdie:
  SharpSL: Abstract c7x0 specifics from Corgi SSP
  SharpSL: Add cxx00 support to the Corgi LCD driver
  SharpSL: Abstract c7x0 specifics from Corgi Touchscreen driver
  SharpSL: Abstract model specifics from Corgi Backlight driver
  SharpSL: Add new ARM PXA machines Spitz and Borzoi with partial Akita Support
  SharpSL: Add an input keyboard driver for Zaurus cxx00 series
  [ARM] 2915/1: SA1100 Collie: Correct scoop device calls
  [ARM] 2912/1: PXA Corgi: Cleanup some unneeded code
  [ARM] 2913/1: PXA Poodle: Cleanup some unneeded code
  [ARM] 2914/1: PXA Poodle: Add MMC and UDC support
  SharpSL: Add missing hunk from backlight update
  MTD: Update SharpSL partition definitions
  Fix up some pm_message_t types

Robert Love:
  hdaps driver update

Robert Olsson:
  [IPV4]: fib_trie tnode stats refinements
  [IPV4]: fib_trie RCU refinements

Roland Dreier:
  add PCI IDs so RME32 and RME96 drivers build

Russell King:
  [ARM SMP] Add timer/watchdog defines for MPCore
  [I2C] Add a functionality method, and remove algorithm ids
  [ARM SMP] Add timer/watchdog defines for MPCore
  [ARM] Remove PFN_TO_NID for !DISCONTIGMEM
  [ARM] Tighten pfn_valid() test.
  [ARM] Fix warning in asm/futex.h
  [ARM] Fix warning in arch/arm/kernel/semaphore.c
  [ARM] Fix warning in arch/arm/mach-sa1100/generic.c

Serge Hallyn:
  seclvl: use securityfs (fix)

serue@us.ibm.com:
  seclvl securityfs

Srivatsa Vaddagiri:
  CPU hotplug breaks wake_up_new_task

Stephen Hemminger:
  sk98lin: remove PCI id info for cards for conflicting devices
  skge: gmac register access errors in dual port
  8139cp: allocate statistics space only when needed

Takashi Iwai:
  [ALSA] Fix EAPD for MSI S270
  [ALSA] atiixp - Fix PM resume
  [ALSA] intel8x0 - Add quirk for IBM NetVisa A30p
  [ALSA] Fix ALC658D support
  [ALSA] Add snd_card_set_dev()
  [ALSA] hda-intel - Check validity of DMA position
  [ALSA] Update/fix ALSA document
  [ALSA] Introduce snd_card_set_generic_dev()
  [ALSA] Add snd_card_set_generic_dev() call
  [ALSA] Add snd_card_set_generic_dev() call to ISA drivers
  [ALSA] hda-codec - Assign audio PCMS first
  [ALSA] Fix DocBook warnings
  [ALSA] Remove superfluous PCI ID definitions
  [ALSA] hda-intel - Fix modem PCM creation
  [ALSA] powermac - Add AUTO_DRC config
  [ALSA] pcm-oss - Add bugg-yptr option
  [ALSA] intel8x0 - Add buggy_semaphore option
  [ALSA] hda-codec - Added ASUS A6
  [ALSA] Replace with kzalloc() - core stuff
  [ALSA] Replace with kzalloc() - seq stuff
  [ALSA] Replace with kzalloc() - isa stuff
  [ALSA] Replace with kzalloc() - pci stuff
  [ALSA] Replace with kzalloc() - others
  [ALSA] Another fix for DocBook
  [ALSA] Add missing sound PCI IDs to pci_ids.h

Thomas Maguin:
  scsi_ioctl: Add WRITE_LONG_2 as write safe command

Timothy Thelin:
  ide: fix null request pointer for taskfile ioctl

Tobias Klauser:
  arch/i386: Replace custom macro with isdigit()
  drivers/video: Replace custom macro with isdigit()

Tom Rini:
  ppc32: discard *.exit.text and *.exit.data sections

Tony Luck:
  [IA64] fix circular dependency on generation of asm-offsets.h

Uwe Koziolek:
  sata_sis: uninitialized variable

Victor Fusco:
  [AUDIT] Fix sparse warning about gfp_mask type

Vincent Pelletier:
  [ALSA] Correct detection of iBook G4 1420Mhz soundcard

Vincent Sanders:
  [ARM] 2907/1: GCC 4 serial driver compile fixes

Vitaly Bordug:
  ppc32: Add ppc_sys descriptions for PowerQUICC I devices

Vivek Goyal:
  More documentation, minor cleanup in kdump.txt

Volker Sameske:
  s390: diag 0x308 reipl

Wim Van Sebroeck:
  [WATCHDOG] Kconfig+Makefile-clean2
  [WATCHDOG] driver-for-ibm-automatic-server-restart-watchdog-fix2.patch
  [WATCHDOG] sbc8360+w83977f_wdt-consolidate_CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT_handling
  [WATCHDOG] pcwd_pci-include+WDIOC_SETOPTIONS-patch

Yasuyuki Kozakai:
  [NETFILTER] ip6tables: remove duplicate code

Zach Brown:
  Add smp_mb__after_clear_bit() to unlock_kiocb()

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20  3:44 ` Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2005-09-20  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

>Ahoy landlubbers!
>
>Here be t' Linux-2.6.14-rc2 release.
>
>Not a whole lot o' excitement, ye scurvy dogs, but it has t' ALSA, LSM,
>audit and watchdog merges that be missed from -rc1, and a merge series
>with Andrew. But on t' whole pretty reasonable - you can see t' details in
>the shortlog (appended).
>
>Arrr!

I hope you've christened her with an appropriately seafaring
name? If not, then I vote for white whale.

Hmm, too late: I see Ben has already named 2.6.14 :P

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20  4:50 ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Monday 19 September 2005 23:22, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>Ahoy landlubbers!
>
>Here be t' Linux-2.6.14-rc2 release.
>
>Not a whole lot o' excitement, ye scurvy dogs, but it has t' ALSA, LSM,
>audit and watchdog merges that be missed from -rc1, and a merge series
>with Andrew. But on t' whole pretty reasonable - you can see t' details
> in the shortlog (appended).
>
>Arrr!

:-)
You've been watching entirely too much tv Linus.  That commercial
is one of the better examples of the "vast wasteland" that is todays
tv.

Also, where can this wondrous new patch be found as its not made its
way to kernel.org as of 00:45 EDT?

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 13:31   ` Patrick McFarland
From: Patrick McFarland @ 2005-09-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 12:50 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> You've been watching entirely too much tv Linus.  That commercial
> is one of the better examples of the "vast wasteland" that is todays
> tv.

D'arr, the 19th of Septembarrr tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
( http://talklikeapirate.com/ ).

--
Patrick the Bloody, Captain of the Red Sea Deamon, Yarr!

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 14:05     ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 09:31, Patrick McFarland wrote:
>On Tuesday 20 September 2005 12:50 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> You've been watching entirely too much tv Linus.  That commercial
>> is one of the better examples of the "vast wasteland" that is todays
>> tv.
>
>D'arr, the 19th of Septembarrr tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
>( http://talklikeapirate.com/ ).

Yeah :-), but where is this new patch-2.6.14-rc2.gz to be
found. Its still not made it to kernel.org as of 10:05 EDT.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 14:10       ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2005-09-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:05:49AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2005 09:31, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> >On Tuesday 20 September 2005 12:50 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> You've been watching entirely too much tv Linus.  That commercial
> >> is one of the better examples of the "vast wasteland" that is todays
> >> tv.
> >
> >D'arr, the 19th of Septembarrr tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
> >( http://talklikeapirate.com/ ).
>
> Yeah :-), but where is this new patch-2.6.14-rc2.gz to be
> found. Its still not made it to kernel.org as of 10:05 EDT.

The mutinous bots have deserted master.kernel.org and aren't doing
what they're supposed to be doing.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 14:25         ` Gene Heskett
       [not found]           ` <56402.10.10.10.28.1127229646.squirrel@linux1>
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 10:10, Russell King wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:05:49AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >
>> >D'arr, the 19th of Septembarrr tis International Talk Like A Pirate
>> > Day. ( http://talklikeapirate.com/ ).
>>
>> Yeah :-), but where is this new patch-2.6.14-rc2.gz to be
>> found. Its still not made it to kernel.org as of 10:05 EDT.
>
>The mutinous bots have deserted master.kernel.org and aren't doing
>what they're supposed to be doing.

Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)

FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]           ` <56402.10.10.10.28.1127229646.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 15:20             ` Sean
                                 ` (4 more replies)
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:

> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>
> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.

Gene,

While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
download for each release a lot.

It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:

mkdir kernel
cd kernel
wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
cd git-core-0.99.7
make install
cd ..

git clone \
rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
linux

cd linux
git checkout

The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word wrap
issues with the long url's.   Anyway, after that you can stay current with
the latest Linus release with a simple  "git pull".

Cheers,
Sean

[-- Attachment #2: grab.kernel --]

@ 2005-09-20 15:29             ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2005-09-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:20:46AM -0400, Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>
> > Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
> >
> > FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
> Gene,
>
> While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
> might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
> download for each release a lot.

This doesn't help when the bots get stuck - neither the git repository
nor the ftp space get updated when this happens.  I believe both use
the same lock and are probably the same script.

--

@ 2005-09-20 15:32             ` Alexander Nyberg
       [not found]               ` <54562.10.10.10.28.1127230800.squirrel@linux1>
From: Alexander Nyberg @ 2005-09-20 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:20:46AM -0400 Sean wrote:

> On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>
> > Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
> >
> > FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
> Gene,
>
> While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
> might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
> download for each release a lot.
>
> It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
> mkdir kernel
> cd kernel
> wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
> tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
> cd git-core-0.99.7
> make install
> cd ..
>
> git clone \
> rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
> linux
>
> cd linux
> git checkout

ketchup <version>

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]               ` <54562.10.10.10.28.1127230800.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 15:40                 ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Nyberg; +Cc: Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 11:32 am, Alexander Nyberg said:

> ketchup <version>

"git pull" is actually simpler in that you don't need to specify a
version.  And it will keep you current with HEAD even between official
releases.

Sean

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 16:18                   ` Jan Dittmer
       [not found]                     ` <36267.10.10.10.28.1127233614.squirrel@linux1>
From: Jan Dittmer @ 2005-09-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 11:32 am, Alexander Nyberg said:
>

>>ketchup <version>
>

> "git pull" is actually simpler in that you don't need to specify a
> version.  And it will keep you current with HEAD even between official
> releases.

$ ketchup 2.6-git

and you've the plus of very well defined checkpoints.

Jan

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]                     ` <36267.10.10.10.28.1127233614.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 16:26                       ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Dittmer; +Cc: Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 12:18 pm, Jan Dittmer said:
> Sean wrote:
>> On Tue, September 20, 2005 11:32 am, Alexander Nyberg said:
>>
>>>ketchup <version>
>>
>> "git pull" is actually simpler in that you don't need to specify a
>> version.  And it will keep you current with HEAD even between official
>> releases.
>
> $ ketchup 2.6-git
>
> and you've the plus of very well defined checkpoints.

Huh?  Have you ever used git?  Not only do you get very well defined
checkpoints you can instantiate a tree down to any specific commit.  And
you get the plus of a complete detailed changelog etc.. "git log".
Really, ketchup doesn't come close to git.

Sean

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 16:44                         ` Jan Dittmer
       [not found]                           ` <48312.10.10.10.28.1127235046.squirrel@linux1>
From: Jan Dittmer @ 2005-09-20 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 12:18 pm, Jan Dittmer said:
>
>>Sean wrote:

>>>"git pull" is actually simpler in that you don't need to specify a
>>>version.  And it will keep you current with HEAD even between official
>>>releases.
>>
>>$ ketchup 2.6-git
>>
>>and you've the plus of very well defined checkpoints.
>

> Huh?  Have you ever used git?  Not only do you get very well defined
> checkpoints you can instantiate a tree down to any specific commit.  And
> you get the plus of a complete detailed changelog etc.. "git log".
> Really, ketchup doesn't come close to git.

I know, but for multiple people testing daily releases it's much easier to
say -git1 worked -git2 didn't. Sure, for searching the patch `git bisect`
is priceless but for regular testing the -gitx thing comes very handy.
Otherwise you can get a arbitrary intermediate state of linus tree if
you're pulling at the wrong moment. It's actually also faster I suppose
to get one patch than running `git pull` - at least with a cold cache
(it used to be in the 0.1 days of git).
Just my .02,

Jan

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]                           ` <48312.10.10.10.28.1127235046.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 16:50                             ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Dittmer; +Cc: Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 12:44 pm, Jan Dittmer said:

> I know, but for multiple people testing daily releases it's much easier to
> say -git1 worked -git2 didn't. Sure, for searching the patch `git bisect`
> is priceless but for regular testing the -gitx thing comes very handy.
> Otherwise you can get a arbitrary intermediate state of linus tree if
> you're pulling at the wrong moment. It's actually also faster I suppose
> to get one patch than running `git pull` - at least with a cold cache
> (it used to be in the 0.1 days of git).
> Just my .02,

That's a good point.  Guess it would be useful if the HEAD commit was
documented along with each -gitX release.

Sean

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 17:00                               ` Jan Dittmer
From: Jan Dittmer @ 2005-09-20 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Jan Dittmer, Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 12:44 pm, Jan Dittmer said:
>

>>I know, but for multiple people testing daily releases it's much easier to
>>say -git1 worked -git2 didn't. Sure, for searching the patch `git bisect`
>>is priceless but for regular testing the -gitx thing comes very handy.
>>Otherwise you can get a arbitrary intermediate state of linus tree if
>>you're pulling at the wrong moment. It's actually also faster I suppose
>>to get one patch than running `git pull` - at least with a cold cache
>>(it used to be in the 0.1 days of git).
>>Just my .02,
>

> That's a good point.  Guess it would be useful if the HEAD commit was
> documented along with each -gitX release.

It is in /pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.x-gity.id

Jan

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 17:02                               ` Linus Torvalds
       [not found]                                 ` <52797.10.10.10.28.1127236164.squirrel@linux1>
       [not found]                                 ` <41938.10.10.10.28.1127252566.squirrel@linux1>
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2005-09-20 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Jan Dittmer, Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Sean wrote:

> That's a good point.  Guess it would be useful if the HEAD commit was
> documented along with each -gitX release.

It is. Just get the "id" file that is associated with a snapshot, and it
gives the git commit ID for that state.

So for example, the 2.6.14-rc1-git3 snapshot is associated with the ID
file patch-2.6.14-rc1-git3.id, which contains

	v2.6/snapshots(0)$ cat patch-2.6.14-rc1-git3.id
	065d9cac98a5406ecd5a1368f8fd38f55739dee9

so once you know that something broke between rc1-git3 and rc1-git4, you
can now do

	git bisect start
	git bisect good 065d9cac98a5406ecd5a1368f8fd38f55739dee9
	git bisect bad bc5e8fdfc622b03acf5ac974a1b8b26da6511c99

and off you go..

		Linus

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]                                 ` <52797.10.10.10.28.1127236164.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 17:09                                   ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Jan Dittmer, Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 1:02 pm, Linus Torvalds said:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Sean wrote:
>>
>> That's a good point.  Guess it would be useful if the HEAD commit was
>> documented along with each -gitX release.
>
> It is. Just get the "id" file that is associated with a snapshot, and it
> gives the git commit ID for that state.

Great!  Would there be anything standing in the way of having -gitX tags
automatically added to the git repository too?

Sean

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]                           ` <48312.10.10.10.28.1127235046.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 17:09                             ` Alexey Dobriyan
From: Alexey Dobriyan @ 2005-09-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Jan Dittmer, Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:50:46PM -0400, Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 12:44 pm, Jan Dittmer said:
> > I know, but for multiple people testing daily releases it's much easier to
> > say -git1 worked -git2 didn't. Sure, for searching the patch `git bisect`
> > is priceless but for regular testing the -gitx thing comes very handy.
> > Otherwise you can get a arbitrary intermediate state of linus tree if
> > you're pulling at the wrong moment. It's actually also faster I suppose
> > to get one patch than running `git pull` - at least with a cold cache
> > (it used to be in the 0.1 days of git).
> > Just my .02,
>
> That's a good point.  Guess it would be useful if the HEAD commit was
> documented along with each -gitX release.

Look for 41-byte *.id files in snapshots dir.

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]           ` <56402.10.10.10.28.1127229646.squirrel@linux1>
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-09-20 17:59             ` Horst von Brand
       [not found]               ` <59258.10.10.10.28.1127241246.squirrel@linux1>
From: Horst von Brand @ 2005-09-20 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

Sean <seanlkml@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>
> > Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
> >
> > FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.

> While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
> might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
> download for each release a lot.

Only that it doesn't work either today. Kernel stays at 2.6.14-rc1 as of
yesterday (latest were a few NTFS patches), everything up to date.

BTW, the cogito repository is hosed, cg-update can't get needed object
69ba00668be16e44cae699098694286f703ec61d. Fetching the contents by rsync
gives the same mess.

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]               ` <59258.10.10.10.28.1127241246.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 18:34                 ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand; +Cc: Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 1:59 pm, Horst von Brand said:

> Only that it doesn't work either today. Kernel stays at 2.6.14-rc1 as of
> yesterday (latest were a few NTFS patches), everything up to date.

Yeah, Russell pointed the same thing out a bit earlier.  There are 13
commits MIA.

> BTW, the cogito repository is hosed, cg-update can't get needed object
> 69ba00668be16e44cae699098694286f703ec61d. Fetching the contents by rsync
> gives the same mess.

For simply tracking the kernel there isn't much reason to use cogito.
Using native git means fewer problems right now since both cogito and git
are developing quickly with inevitable version skew etc..

Sean

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]               ` <59258.10.10.10.28.1127241246.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 18:48                 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2005-09-20 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: Horst von Brand, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 02:34:06PM -0400, Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 1:59 pm, Horst von Brand said:
>
> > Only that it doesn't work either today. Kernel stays at 2.6.14-rc1 as of
> > yesterday (latest were a few NTFS patches), everything up to date.
>
> Yeah, Russell pointed the same thing out a bit earlier.  There are 13
> commits MIA.
>
> > BTW, the cogito repository is hosed, cg-update can't get needed object
> > 69ba00668be16e44cae699098694286f703ec61d. Fetching the contents by rsync
> > gives the same mess.
>
> For simply tracking the kernel there isn't much reason to use cogito.
> Using native git means fewer problems right now since both cogito and git
> are developing quickly with inevitable version skew etc..

Also note that the public git repository is probably suffering from
the same problem as the lack of -rc2.  I wonder whether anyone's
reported it to the ftp admins yet (if it hasn't been fixed)?

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 20:45               ` Gene Heskett
                                 ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
>Gene,
>
>While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
>mkdir kernel
>cd kernel
>wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>cd git-core-0.99.7
>make install
>cd ..
>
>git clone \
>rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
>linux
>
>cd linux
>git checkout
>

>The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word
> wrap issues with the long url's.   Anyway, after that you can stay
> current with the latest Linus release with a simple  "git pull".
>
>Cheers,
>Sean

With my luck, then git will be modified the next day in a
non-backwards compatible way.  Murphy's Law you know.
But I'll give it a shot anyway.  Any idea how much disk it might need?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 20:57               ` Gene Heskett
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
>Gene,
>
>While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
>mkdir kernel
check
>cd kernel
check
>wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
check
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
check
>cd git-core-0.99.7
check
>make install
check
>cd ..
>
>git clone \
>rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
>linux

Well, things marched right along till I got to the line for git clone
etc.

[root@coyote kernel]# git clone
rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
linux
bash: git: command not found

Humm, back up & find it put git stuff in /root/bin  ?????

[root@coyote kernel]# /root/bin/git clone \
rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
 linux
/root/bin/git-clone: line 2: git-init-db: command not found
* git clone [-l [-s]] [-q] [-u <upload-pack>] <repo> <dir>

So why did it put it in /root/bin?  It's there, but not in my $PATH.
And theres no "make uninstall" to clean up the install so I might be
able to cleanly fix the miss-fire...  Murphy rides again..

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 21:00                 ` Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2005-09-20 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

~/bin is in many people's paths in many distributions.

Matt

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 04:57:59PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
> >On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
> >> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
> >>
> >> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
> >
> >Gene,
> >
> >While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
> >might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
> >download for each release a lot.
> >
> >It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
> >
> >mkdir kernel
> check
> >cd kernel
> check
> >wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
> check
> >tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
> check
> >cd git-core-0.99.7
> check
> >make install
> check
> >cd ..
> >
> >git clone \
> >rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
> >linux
>
> Well, things marched right along till I got to the line for git clone
> etc.
>
> [root@coyote kernel]# git clone
> rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> linux
> bash: git: command not found
>
> Humm, back up & find it put git stuff in /root/bin  ?????
>
> [root@coyote kernel]# /root/bin/git clone \
> rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>  linux
> /root/bin/git-clone: line 2: git-init-db: command not found
> * git clone [-l [-s]] [-q] [-u <upload-pack>] <repo> <dir>
>
> So why did it put it in /root/bin?  It's there, but not in my $PATH.
> And theres no "make uninstall" to clean up the install so I might be
> able to cleanly fix the miss-fire...  Murphy rides again..
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> 99.35% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
> message by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2005 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
>
> -

Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

I'm just trying to think of a way to say "up yours" without getting fired.
					-- Stef
User Friendly, 10/8/1998

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 21:23                   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 17:00, Matthew Dharm wrote:
>~/bin is in many people's paths in many distributions.

And that seems to have fixed it, its now pulling in a bunch of what
looks like uuenocded stuffs.Thanks Matt

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 21:39               ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-20 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
>Gene,
>
>While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
>mkdir kernel
>cd kernel
>wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>cd git-core-0.99.7
>make install
>cd ..
>
>git clone \
>rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
>linux
>
>cd linux
>git checkout
>

>The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word
> wrap issues with the long url's.   Anyway, after that you can stay
> current with the latest Linus release with a simple  "git pull".
>
>Cheers,
>Sean

Ok, once all thats done, then anytime I want a snapshot, go there and
do a git checkout, then snapshot copy that dir to
/usr/src/linux-$VERSION, copy the old .config in to this copy, add my
build scripts and go?  Anyway, I've just done the above, so we'll
test it out right now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* using -gitX snapshot tags [was Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2]
       [not found]                                 ` <41938.10.10.10.28.1127252566.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-20 21:42                                   ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Jan Dittmer, Alexander Nyberg, Gene Heskett, linux-kernel

On Tue, September 20, 2005 1:02 pm, Linus Torvalds said:

> It is. Just get the "id" file that is associated with a snapshot, and
> it gives the git commit ID for that state.
>
> So for example, the 2.6.14-rc1-git3 snapshot is associated with the ID
> file patch-2.6.14-rc1-git3.id, which contains
>
> 	v2.6/snapshots(0)$ cat patch-2.6.14-rc1-git3.id
> 	065d9cac98a5406ecd5a1368f8fd38f55739dee9
>
> so once you know that something broke between rc1-git3 and rc1-git4,
> you can now do
>
> 	git bisect start
> 	git bisect good 065d9cac98a5406ecd5a1368f8fd38f55739dee9
> 	git bisect bad bc5e8fdfc622b03acf5ac974a1b8b26da6511c99
>
> and off you go..

The attached patch grabs all the .id files from the snapshot directory on
kernel.org and converts them into tags in a local git repository.  So
after running "gtags", your example becomes:

       git bisect start
       git bisect good v2.6.14-rc1-git3
       git bisect bad v2.6.14-rc1-git4

Sean

#----[gtags]-----
#!/bin/sh
cd .git/refs/tags/ || exit
lftp http://www.kernel.org <<\EOF
  cd /pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/
  mget patch*.id
  cd /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/refs/tags/
  mget *
EOF
rename patch- v patch-*.id
rename .id "" v*.id

[-- Attachment #2: gtags --]

@ 2005-09-20 23:03 ` Martin J. Bligh
From: Martin J. Bligh @ 2005-09-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ahoy landlubbers!
>
> Here be t' Linux-2.6.14-rc2 release.
>
> Not a whole lot o' excitement, ye scurvy dogs, but it has t' ALSA, LSM,
> audit and watchdog merges that be missed from -rc1, and a merge series
> with Andrew. But on t' whole pretty reasonable - you can see t' details in
> the shortlog (appended).
>
> Arrr!

SCSI is broken in several cases by a lack of the patch below, which means
some of the regular test boxes can't - James, any chance of getting that
one upstream? (it's cut and pasted, but then you wouldn't want to apply
it anyway without correct "flow" ;-)).

Thanks,

M.

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 18:06 +1000, Anton Blanchard wrote:
> And in particular it looks like the scsi_unprep_request in
> scsi_queue_insert is causing it. The following patch fixes the boot
> problems on the vscsi machine:

OK, my fault.  Your fix is almost correct .. I was going to do this
eventually, honest, because there's no need to unprep and reprep a
command that comes in through scsi_queue_insert().

However, I decided to leave it in to exercise the scsi_unprep_request()
path just to make sure it was working.  What's happening, I think, is
that we also use this path for retries.  Since we kill and reget the
command each time, the retries decrement is never seen, so we're
retrying forever.

This should be the correct reversal.

James
diff --git a/drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.c b/drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.c
--- a/drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.c
+++ b/drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.c
@@ -140,14 +140,12 @@ static void scsi_unprep_request(struct r
  *              commands.
  * Notes:       This could be called either from an interrupt context or a
  *              normal process context.
- * Notes:	Upon return, cmd is a stale pointer.
  */
 int scsi_queue_insert(struct scsi_cmnd *cmd, int reason)
 {
 	struct Scsi_Host *host = cmd->device->host;
 	struct scsi_device *device = cmd->device;
 	struct request_queue *q = device->request_queue;
-	struct request *req = cmd->request;
 	unsigned long flags;

 	SCSI_LOG_MLQUEUE(1,
@@ -188,9 +186,8 @@ int scsi_queue_insert(struct scsi_cmnd *
 	 * function.  The SCSI request function detects the blocked condition
 	 * and plugs the queue appropriately.
          */
-	scsi_unprep_request(req);
 	spin_lock_irqsave(q->queue_lock, flags);
-	blk_requeue_request(q, req);
+	blk_requeue_request(q, cmd->request);
 	spin_unlock_irqrestore(q->queue_lock, flags);

 	scsi_run_queue(q);

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 23:11   ` Nish Aravamudan
From: Nish Aravamudan @ 2005-09-20 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin J. Bligh

On 9/20/05, Martin J. Bligh <mbligh@mbligh.org> wrote:
> > Ahoy landlubbers!
> >
> > Here be t' Linux-2.6.14-rc2 release.
> >
> > Not a whole lot o' excitement, ye scurvy dogs, but it has t' ALSA, LSM,
> > audit and watchdog merges that be missed from -rc1, and a merge series
> > with Andrew. But on t' whole pretty reasonable - you can see t' details in
> > the shortlog (appended).
> >
> > Arrr!
>
> SCSI is broken in several cases by a lack of the patch below, which means
> some of the regular test boxes can't - James, any chance of getting that
> one upstream? (it's cut and pasted, but then you wouldn't want to apply
> it anyway without correct "flow" ;-)).

FYI, test.kernel.org was able to verify this because 2.6.14-rc2 is
available via ftp, even though the website and git (maybe I'm not
using it correctly) don't seem to be updated yet.

Thanks,
Nish

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 23:12   ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2005-09-20 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 16:03 -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> SCSI is broken in several cases by a lack of the patch below, which means
> some of the regular test boxes can't - James, any chance of getting that
> one upstream? (it's cut and pasted, but then you wouldn't want to apply
> it anyway without correct "flow" ;-)).

It already is ... unfortunately just after 2.6.14-rc2, but if you use
the latest git head you should get it.

James

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-20 23:13     ` Martin J. Bligh
From: Martin J. Bligh @ 2005-09-20 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

--On Tuesday, September 20, 2005 18:12:02 -0500 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 16:03 -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
>> SCSI is broken in several cases by a lack of the patch below, which means
>> some of the regular test boxes can't - James, any chance of getting that
>> one upstream? (it's cut and pasted, but then you wouldn't want to apply
>> it anyway without correct "flow" ;-)).
>
> It already is ... unfortunately just after 2.6.14-rc2, but if you use
> the latest git head you should get it.

Spiffy - it should catch that tonight then ...

Thanks,

M.

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
       [not found]               ` <59258.10.10.10.28.1127241246.squirrel@linux1>
@ 2005-09-21  0:43               ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-21  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 13:59, Horst von Brand wrote:
>Sean <seanlkml@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> > Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>> >
>> > FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>>
>> While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>> might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
>> download for each release a lot.
>
>Only that it doesn't work either today. Kernel stays at 2.6.14-rc1 as of
>yesterday (latest were a few NTFS patches), everything up to date.

Thats odd.  I followed the directions in the message near the head of
this thread, and after I fixed my $PATH to include ~/bin:, it
just worked, and I made a copy of it to my /usr/src dir & built
it. I've been running 2.6.14-rc2 for about 00:02:17 now. And it seems
to be running nominally so far.  Or at least thats the version in the
Makefile.  :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
                                 ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-09-21 16:50               ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2005-09-21 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
>Gene,
>
>While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
>mkdir kernel
>cd kernel
>wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
>cd git-core-0.99.7
>make install
>cd ..
>
>git clone \
>rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
>linux
>
>cd linux
>git checkout
>

>The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word
> wrap issues with the long url's.   Anyway, after that you can stay
> current with the latest Linus release with a simple  "git pull".
>
>Cheers,
>Sean

What is the lifetime of this script?  The reason I am asking is that
somehow, the 'linux' directory got emptied when I used mc to make a
copy of it to /usr/src/linux-2.6.14-rc2, which then built just fine
and I'm running it.

But editing the script so that it only does the stuff from the rsync
line on, I have not been able to duplicate its flawless performance,
instead getting this near the end of the proceedure:
------
[...]
tags/v2.6.14-rc2

sent 563 bytes  received 2778 bytes  954.57 bytes/sec
total size is 779  speedup is 0.23
rsync: link_stat
"/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
(in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(812)
------

I have now re-ran this 4 times, each time doing an rm -fR on the
'linux' directory, with the same results as above each time.

Is this normal, or am I missing something important (and probably
a 'duh' moment too) that it takes to do a re-run?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-21 18:22         ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2005-09-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: linux-kernel

Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:05:49AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>D'arr, the 19th of Septembarrr tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
>>>( http://talklikeapirate.com/ ).
>>
>>Yeah :-), but where is this new patch-2.6.14-rc2.gz to be
>>found. Its still not made it to kernel.org as of 10:05 EDT.
>

> The mutinous bots have deserted master.kernel.org and aren't doing
> what they're supposed to be doing.

I guess having a software error in the kernel would constitute bug-ery
on the high C.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
                                 ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-09-21 18:28               ` Bill Davidsen
       [not found]                 ` <44442.10.10.10.28.1127329602.squirrel@linux1>
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2005-09-21 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean; +Cc: linux-kernel

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>

>>Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>>FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>

> Gene,
>
> While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
> might want to consider using git.  It reduces the amount you have to
> download for each release a lot.
>
> It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
> mkdir kernel
> cd kernel
> wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
> tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
> cd git-core-0.99.7
> make install
> cd ..
>
> git clone \
> rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
> linux
>
> cd linux
> git checkout
>

> The above is given as an attachment as well because of annoying word wrap
> issues with the long url's.   Anyway, after that you can stay current with
> the latest Linus release with a simple  "git pull".

But that pulls the current tree, doesn't it? Not the git release?

For purposes of bug reporting and fixing, I would think that having some
reproducible version is superior. If I say git3, anyone can get it, it
would appear that "git pull" isn't as deterministic.

--

@ 2005-09-21 19:06                   ` Sean
From: Sean @ 2005-09-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, September 21, 2005 2:28 pm, Bill Davidsen said:

> But that pulls the current tree, doesn't it? Not the git release?

It pulls the latest git release plus any extra commits that have been made
since, if any.   Now, if you have a specific reason to test a -gitX
release you can simply lookup which commit corresponds to the -gitX
release and check it out of the git repository and build it.   Actually, I
just posted a script that lets you check out a build by -gitX name instead
of having to manually lookup the corresponding commit id.

> For purposes of bug reporting and fixing, I would think that having some
> reproducible version is superior. If I say git3, anyone can get it, it
> would appear that "git pull" isn't as deterministic.

There are cases where using the -gitX release helps a bit.  But there's
nothing magic about a -gitX release, it's just a collection of whatever
commits existed when the timed build procedure ran.

Using git you get the choice of using -gitX builds or tracking directly
from the most recent commit as the situation demands.   Therefore if Linus
commits a fix beyond the latest -gitX release you happen to need, you're
good to go.  If you want to track the latest -gitX release, you can do
that with git too.

Sean

* Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2
@ 2005-09-21 22:51       ` Martin J. Bligh
From: Martin J. Bligh @ 2005-09-21 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

--On Tuesday, September 20, 2005 16:13:46 -0700 "Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@mbligh.org> wrote:

> --On Tuesday, September 20, 2005 18:12:02 -0500 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 16:03 -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
>>> SCSI is broken in several cases by a lack of the patch below, which means
>>> some of the regular test boxes can't - James, any chance of getting that
>>> one upstream? (it's cut and pasted, but then you wouldn't want to apply
>>> it anyway without correct "flow" ;-)).
>>
>> It already is ... unfortunately just after 2.6.14-rc2, but if you use
>> the latest git head you should get it.
>
> Spiffy - it should catch that tonight then ...

Works. Thanks,

M.