* perf tool pmuevents: About arm64 a76 JSON
@ 2019-10-02 15:37 John Garry
From: John Garry @ 2019-10-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James.Clark
  Cc: Peter Zijlstra, Ingo Molnar, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Mark Rutland, Jiri Olsa, Namhyung Kim, seanvk.dev,
	Florian Fainelli, wcohen, Ganapatrao Kulkarni, Will Deacon,
	linux-kernel

Hi,

I noticed that the JSON to support a76 pmu events was added recently.

May I ask why we add explicit support for the common architectural and
microarch events (event id 0x0-0x3f), when they would be already
available from the kernel pmuv3 driver?

The ampere emag jsons do similar. Others don't.

The only advantage I see is that we have an event description, but I am
sure how useful that is.

Cheers,
John

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-10-02 15:37 UTC | newest]