* irport_net_open issue in 2.5.59
@ 2003-01-20 12:49 Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2003-01-20 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: irda-users; +Cc: linux-kernel

[crossposted to IrDA-users and l-k]

The quest to set up properly (or give up where not possible) my new Dell Latitude
 C640 is moving forward... next target, IrDA. This laptop has a chip that is not
 detected by the 'findchip' tool but is detected by kernel code (SMC LPC47N252).

My base distro is a RH8.0, with the modified rc.sysinit to allow modules to properly
 work even with newer kernels.

When irport is loaded (or perhaps when irattach is run), the module complains saying

irport_net_open(), unable to allocate irq=0

It does load, but as expected it doesn't seem to work - irdadump doesn't come up
 with any line at all.

Any hints ? Thanks in advance, ciao,

--alessandro

* Re: irport_net_open issue in 2.5.59
@ 2003-01-21  2:05 Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2003-01-21  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jt; +Cc: irda-users, linux-kernel

> Alessandro Suardi wrote :
> >
> > [crossposted to IrDA-users and l-k]
>      Hum... This means that the IrDA mailing list archive is broken
> again. Thanks SourceForge.

I misspelt 'sourceforge' on first attempt - shame on me,
 not SF :)

[snip]

> > irport_net_open(), unable to allocate irq=0
> >
> > It does load, but as expected it doesn't seem to work - irdadump
> > doesn't come up with any line at all.
>      Personally, I've never managed to make irport work, and I know
> that in 2.5.X it's worse.

Uhm - not sure I understand. I thought both ircomm and irport
 were needed, at least it looks like so from this 2.4.21-pre3
 output from my live GPRS link:

[root@dolphin root]# lsmod
ircomm-tty             22528   1  (autoclean)
ppp_async               7744   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            16060   3  (autoclean) [ppp_async]
slhc                    5200   0  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
smc-ircc                7520   1  (autoclean)
irport                  5256   1  (autoclean) [smc-ircc]
ircomm                  8712   0  [ircomm-tty]
irda                   94192   1  [ircomm-tty smc-ircc irport ircomm]

 that is, pppd speaks on /dev/ircomm0 - but smc-ircc seems to
 use irport.

>      But, the message above indicate that you fed the driver with
> improper module options. Try to set the proper irq, that would help.

I would gladly oblige :) but how do I know what the proper IRQ
 is ? findchip does tell me that on this CPx750J, but it doesn't
 tell me anything on the C640...

>      Also, Daniele did lot's of work on the new SMC driver (smsc2,
> available on my web page). Maybe you could test this one.

Thanks, will get back with more news soon-ish.

@ 2003-01-20 18:30 Jean Tourrilhes
From: Jean Tourrilhes @ 2003-01-20 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alessandro Suardi wrote :

> [crossposted to IrDA-users and l-k]

	Hum... This means that the IrDA mailing list archive is broken
again. Thanks SourceForge.

> The quest to set up properly (or give up where not possible) my new
> Dell Latitude C640 is moving forward... next target, IrDA. This
> laptop has a chip that is not detected by the 'findchip' tool but is
> detected by kernel code (SMC LPC47N252).

	Ok.

> When irport is loaded (or perhaps when irattach is run), the module
> complains saying
>
> irport_net_open(), unable to allocate irq=0
>
> It does load, but as expected it doesn't seem to work - irdadump
> doesn't come up with any line at all.

	Personally, I've never managed to make irport work, and I know
that in 2.5.X it's worse.
	But, the message above indicate that you fed the driver with
improper module options. Try to set the proper irq, that would help.
	Also, Daniele did lot's of work on the new SMC driver (smsc2,
available on my web page). Maybe you could test this one.

> Any hints ? Thanks in advance, ciao,
>
> --alessandro

	Good luck...

	Jean