* Driver poll method
@ 2003-07-15 14:03 Bloch, Jack
From: Bloch, Jack @ 2003-07-15 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am implementing a poll method in a driver. I have defined a queue which I
put into a wait table with a call to poll_wait. I also have my own DMA input
list which is very specific to my device. I want my application to sleep in
a suspended state until my device writes some data into the input list. Is
it not so that the Kernel should periodically call my poll routine after my
application calls select (until the select timer expires or as in my case, I
specify a NULL value for the timeout). Please CC me directly on any

Jack Bloch
Siemens ICN
phone                (561) 923-6550
e-mail                jack.bloch@icn.siemens.com

* Re: Driver poll method
@ 2003-07-15 14:23 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-07-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bloch, Jack; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:03:23AM -0700, Bloch, Jack wrote:
> I am implementing a poll method in a driver. I have defined a queue which I
> put into a wait table with a call to poll_wait. I also have my own DMA input
> list which is very specific to my device. I want my application to sleep in
> a suspended state until my device writes some data into the input list. Is
> it not so that the Kernel should periodically call my poll routine after my
> application calls select (until the select timer expires or as in my case, I
> specify a NULL value for the timeout). Please CC me directly on any

drivers/sounds/via82cxxx_audio and several other audio drivers have
excellent examples of working poll(2) support.

The basic idea is that you set up the poll table, then the kernel does
the waiting...

	Jeff