* Query on device links
@ 2020-02-06 10:31 John Garry
From: John Garry @ 2020-02-06 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Saravana Kannan, linux-kernel

Hi guys,

According to "Limitations" section @
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/driver-api/device_link.rst#n110,
for a managed link, lack of the supplier driver may cause indefinite
delay in probing of the consumer. Is there any way around this?

So I just want the probe order attempt of the supplier and consumer to
be guaranteed, but the supplier probe may not be successful, i.e. does
not actually bind.

In my case, I would like to use device_link_add(supplier, consumer,
DL_FLAG_AUTOPROBE_CONSUMER), but I find the supplier probe may fail (and
not due to -EPROBE_DEFER), and my consumer remains in limbo.

You may ask my I want this ordering at all - it is because in
really_probe(), we do the device DMA configure before the actual device
driver probe, and I just need that ordering to be ensured between devices.

Thanks,
John