* Re: Entire LAN goes boo with 2.5.64
@ 2003-03-07 19:49 Jon Burgess
From: Jon Burgess @ 2003-03-07 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andewid; +Cc: linux-kernel

Some things you might want to look at:
   Is the Linux box sending any traffic (look at the stats in ifconfig)?
   Does a packet sniffer like http://www.ethereal.com/ give any clues as to the
type of traffic on the network?
   Does the same thing occur if you run less processes, e.g. boot into run level
1 or 3?
   Are there any processes consuming an unreasonable amount of CPU time on the
Linux box?
   Is there a process which is being restarted many times a second, so top or ps
shows a radiply increasing PID?

It could be some network-aware process which has got stuck in a tight loop
sending requests to your windows box, e.g. a DHCP client.
I mention the DHCP client specifically because they sometimes get upset if you
don't enable some specific kernel networking options like CONFIG_PACKET or
CONFIG_FILTER & WinRoute might be acting as the DHCP server.

     Jon

[parent not found: <20030306094021$7081@gated-at.bofh.it>]
[parent not found: <68CDBCD4C718204B8E3AE0DE304DDB680154CD85@cdptpaex1.adelphia.com>]
* Entire LAN goes boo  with 2.5.64
@ 2003-03-06  9:36 Anders Widman
From: Anders Widman @ 2003-03-06  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

   Hello,

   Trying  out  the  2.5.64  kernel  to try to solve some IDE specific
   problems  with 2.4.x kernels. Now I have another problem. We have a
   Windows LAN and a Windows XP with WinRoute Pro as gateway.

   When  booting  the linux-machine with the 2.5.64 kernel the windows
   machine goes to 100% cpu and the switch (Dlink) goes crazy (loosing
   link, other machines get 100k/s instead of 10-12MiB/s etc).

   I  compiled  the  2.5.64  with  as  few  options  as  possible,  no
   netfilter, or IPSec or similar stuff.

   What can be the problem?

--------
PGP public key: https://tnonline.net/secure/pgp_key.txt