* Re: Not a typewriter
@ 2001-05-14  2:59 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-05-14  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/13/2001 at 08:03:30 PM Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
wrote:

>The old C compiler/old Unix linker guaranteed 6 chars in an external symbol
>name only, and C functions got an underscore prepended: _creat. I guess
>this is the reason for this wart. As to why 6 chars only, I'd guess some
>data structure in the linker was laid out that way. Machines had a few
>dozen Kbs of RAM then, space was precious.

I've always thought it was just an arbitrary decision, based on the general Unix
custom of shortnening names by removing vowels, especially since Ken Thompson
later said he'd spell it "create" if he had it to do over again.  But your
explanation sounds more likely.  I really should have thought of this, since I
used to run into problems with non-unique names under the Minix linker (which,
IIRC, had the same 6 char limit).

* RE: Not a typewriter
@ 2001-05-11 23:57 Bingner Sam J. Contractor RSIS
From: Bingner Sam J. Contractor RSIS @ 2001-05-11 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Wayne.Brown@altec.com', Hacksaw; +Cc: linux-kernel

I had an experience pretty close... but I never saw anything wrong with
man... I have ALWAYS LOVED man.... it's the perfect help system IMO, and
info is infuriating to me...  There should be a but more documentation some
places sure, but nothing is going to completely remedy that... because
you'll never get everybody to keep documentation updated correctly.

	Sam Bingner
	PACAF CSS/SCHE
	Contractor RSIS
	DSN	315 449-7889
	COMM	808 449-7889

From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-05-11 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hacksaw; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-05-11 18:37 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-05-11 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Jaeggli; +Cc: Hacksaw, linux-kernel

On 05/11/2001 at 12:03:43 PM Joel Jaeggli <joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>it's not clear to me that that textsearch is a more  accurate description
>than Get Regular ExPression

It's not more accurate.  But Hacksaw's original point was that a new user would
not know what "not a typewriter" meant.  My point was that a newbie wouldn't be
likely to guess that "grep" means "search for text" either; in both cases he'd
have to look it up if he'd never seen it before.

BTW, grep does not stand for "Get Regular ExPression."  It comes from an
often-used command in the ed (and ex and vi) editor: g/re/p.  The "g" means
"global," the "re" is a regular expression, and the "p" means "print."  So to
search for all lines containing the word "foo" in a file you were editing, you
would type g/foo/p.  This was such a useful function that it was packaged in a
standalone program that could be used to search multiple files.

Wayne

* Re: Not a typewriter
@ 2001-05-11 16:07 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-05-11 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hacksaw; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 05/10/2001 at 06:20:34 PM Hacksaw <hacksaw@hacksaw.org> wrote:

>Heaven help us when tradition is more important than clarity.

If clarity is the most important consideration, then other things should be
changed as well.  For instance, the command we use to search for text strings in
files should be called "textsearch."  That's a lot more clear than "grep."

>Typewriter has always been wrong. I'd agree that "Not a teletypewriter" would
>suffice.

But the original message said "typewriter."  (The "wrongness" is part of its
charm.)  If the wording is going to be changed, then it's better to abandon the
tradition altogether and use one of the more descriptive and "correct" messages
you and others have proposed.

>On the other hand "Inappropriate ioctl for device" is also not very clear.
>
>I'd like to see "Not a serial or character device" or "Not a serial device" if
>that's more appropriate. Something like that...

My point is that someone who sees the "typewriter" message and doesn't
understand it will have to dig a bit to find out what it means.  Finding it
almost certainly will involve uncovering some of the history and folklore of
Unix.  In the "Intro to Unix" classes I've taught over the years, I've always
made a point of explaining the background of things like this -- such as the
relation of grep to the g/re/p expression of ed, ex and vi; where biff got its
name; what the letters stand for in awk; why creat doesn't end in an "e;" and so
forth.  I tell the class that Unix has quirky, eccentric, whimsical elements
because many of the things in it were written by quirky, eccentric, or whimsical
people.  The comment at the bottom of some versions of the tunefs man page (such
as the HP-UX version) is an example I like to use:  "You can tune a file system,
but you can't tune a fish."  I tell them they'll understand the Unix way of
thinking faster if they approach it with an inquisitive, playful spirit rather
than as a stuffy business system.  It's supposed to be correct; it's supposed to
be efficient; but it's also supposed to be fun, and sometimes the fun is worth
sacrificing a little of the other qualities in trivial areas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "Life With Unix" should be required
reading for anyone who goes near a Unix (or Linux) system.

Wayne

* Re: Not a typewriter
@ 2001-05-10 23:06 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-05-10 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 05/10/2001 at 05:38:32 PM hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) wrote:

>Sounds like someone has just clarified what the heck it means.  "tty"
>and "typewriter" aren't exactly the same thing (even though "tty"
>stands for "teletypewriter" it has come to mean something completely
>different in a Unix context)... "not a typewriter" is just a
>completely confusing error message for the uninitiated.

I disagree.  "Not a typewriter" is part of Unix tradition, and ought to be
retained as a historical reference.  It's also an opportunity for "the
uninitiated" to learn a little more and move a little closer to becoming "the
initiated."

Wayne

* Not a typewriter
@ 2001-05-10 21:42 Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-05-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux kernel

I noticed that my favorite "errno" has now gotten trashed by
the newer 'C' runtime libraries.

ENOTTY has been for ages, "Not a typewriter".
It's now been changed to "Inappropriate ioctl for device".

Methinks that this means that ../linux/include/asm/errno.h now needs
to be updated:

-#define	ENOTTY		25	/* Not a typewriter */
+#define	ENOTTY		25	/* Inappropriate ioctl for device
*/

None of these strings are in the kernel, but the headers probably should
show the "latest standard".

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.