* Missing File REPORTING-BUGS In Linux Kernel.
@ 2017-05-08  2:17 Anil Nair
From: Anil Nair @ 2017-05-08  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml

Hi,

Could not find the proper person hence putting it in general mailing
list, A file named "REPORTING-BUGS" is missing in the current release
of the linux kernel i.e. v4.11.

I found this is when using debian tools to compile a latest release
using command,

"fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.0.AN kernel_image kernel_headers -j 4"

The error i received was,

"install -p    -o root -g root  -m  644 REPORTING-BUGS
 /home/anilnair/linux-kernel/linux-stable/debian/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty/usr/share/doc/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty/
install: cannot stat 'REPORTING-BUGS': No such file or directory
debian/ruleset/targets/headers.mk:40: recipe for target
'debian/stamp/install/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty'
failed
make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/install/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty]
Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/anilnair/linux-kernel/linux-stable'
debian/ruleset/local.mk:102: recipe for target 'kernel_headers' failed
make: *** [kernel_headers] Error 2"

Though I could find the same file in linux kernel v4.8.6.

Anil Nair

* Re: Missing File REPORTING-BUGS In Linux Kernel.
@ 2017-05-08  2:52 ` Randy Dunlap
       [not found]   ` <CAFWoy7H32z_0t=k3tSLKUZrcfkco06j9jacv130DLT=647gYpg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2017-05-08  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anil Nair, lkml

On 05/07/17 19:17, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could not find the proper person hence putting it in general mailing
> list, A file named "REPORTING-BUGS" is missing in the current release
> of the linux kernel i.e. v4.11.
>
> I found this is when using debian tools to compile a latest release
> using command,
>
> "fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=1.0.AN kernel_image kernel_headers -j 4"
>
> The error i received was,
>
> "install -p    -o root -g root  -m  644 REPORTING-BUGS
>  /home/anilnair/linux-kernel/linux-stable/debian/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty/usr/share/doc/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty/
> install: cannot stat 'REPORTING-BUGS': No such file or directory
> debian/ruleset/targets/headers.mk:40: recipe for target
> 'debian/stamp/install/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty'
> failed
> make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/install/linux-headers-4.11.0anilnair-07650-ga1be8ed-dirty]
> Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/anilnair/linux-kernel/linux-stable'
> debian/ruleset/local.mk:102: recipe for target 'kernel_headers' failed
> make: *** [kernel_headers] Error 2"
>
> Though I could find the same file in linux kernel v4.8.6.

Hi,

In v4.10, the file was moved (and renamed and edited) to
"Documentation/admin-guide/reporting-bugs.rst".

I suppose that some Debian install script needs to be updated.

thanks.
--
~Randy

* Re: Missing File REPORTING-BUGS In Linux Kernel.
@ 2017-05-08 13:31   ` Keith Christian
       [not found]   ` <CAFWoy7H32z_0t=k3tSLKUZrcfkco06j9jacv130DLT=647gYpg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Keith Christian @ 2017-05-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Anil Nair, lkml

Randy Dunlap said:

    In v4.10, the file was moved (and renamed and edited) to
    "Documentation/admin-guide/reporting-bugs.rst".

    I suppose that some Debian install script needs to be updated.

Kernel hackers,

Thanks for all the work over the years on the kernel.  My very first
post to the list (as a long time reader) is a question:

Were other plain text files changed to .rst as well?

Is there a link to the discussion for changing to .rst?

There is a convention for keeping essential documentation in a simple
format that can be read without additional processing.  Where are we
going with this?

Keith

@ 2017-05-08 15:23     ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2017-05-08 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Christian, Anil Nair, lkml, linux-doc

On 05/08/17 05:30, Keith Christian wrote:

>     In v4.10, the file was moved (and renamed and edited) to
>     "Documentation/admin-guide/reporting-bugs.rst".
>
>     I suppose that some Debian install script needs to be updated.
>

> Kernel hackers,
>
> Thanks for all the work over the years on the kernel.  My very first post to the list (as a long time reader) is a question:
>
> Were other plain text files changed to .rst as well?

[adding linux-doc mailing list]

Quite a number have been changed.

> Is there a link to the discussion for changing to .rst?

I don't recall much discussion.  There may have been some on the linux-doc
mailing list.

As with many things that are kernel-related, it depends a lot on who is
doing the work and their choices and decisions.

> There is a convention for keeping essential documentation in a simple format that can be read without additional processing.  Where are we going with this?

.rst files are still readable with an editor or 'more' etc.

--
~Randy

* Re: Missing File REPORTING-BUGS In Linux Kernel.
@ 2017-05-08 15:51       ` Jani Nikula
       [not found]         ` <20170508215550.D35A0AE034@b01ledav005.gho.pok.ibm.com>
From: Jani Nikula @ 2017-05-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap, Keith Christian, Anil Nair, lkml, linux-doc

On Mon, 08 May 2017, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:
> On 05/08/17 05:30, Keith Christian wrote:
>> Is there a link to the discussion for changing to .rst?
>
> I don't recall much discussion.  There may have been some on the
> linux-doc mailing list.

There was "some discussion" that dragged on for the better part of a
year. It spanned more threads than I care to remember. Indeed I wish I
could forget. Perhaps you already did. ;)

These articles provide some background:

https://lwn.net/Articles/671496/
https://lwn.net/Articles/692704/
https://lwn.net/Articles/692705/

> As with many things that are kernel-related, it depends a lot on who
> is doing the work and their choices and decisions.

I seem to recall there were a lot of opinions from people who couldn't
care less about documentation too. ;)

>> There is a convention for keeping essential documentation in a simple
>> format that can be read without additional processing.  Where are we
>> going with this?
>
> .rst files are still readable with an editor or 'more' etc.

Moreover, we're converting all of the DocBook XML documentation over to
rst too, making much more documentation human readable (and writable)
without additional processing.

BR,
Jani.

* Re: Missing File REPORTING-BUGS In Linux Kernel.
@ 2017-05-08 21:55         ` Keith Christian
       [not found]         ` <20170508215550.D35A0AE034@b01ledav005.gho.pok.ibm.com>
From: Keith Christian @ 2017-05-08 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml

Thanks, Jani.

The open source world already has a fine documentation system in
Texinfo.  Has that been considered?

We're proliferating into so many different directions.  Texinfo has
indexing, chapters, nodes, hyperlinks, etc.  Does RST have those?

Lately. I've used Texinfo, Asciidoc, and Markdown.

@ 2017-05-09  0:31           ` Andrew Donnellan
From: Andrew Donnellan @ 2017-05-09  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Christian, lkml

On 09/05/17 07:55, Keith Christian wrote:
> We're proliferating into so many different directions.  Texinfo has
> indexing, chapters, nodes, hyperlinks, etc.  Does RST have those?

Take a look at the processed output for yourself and see what you think. :)

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/index.html

--
Andrew Donnellan              OzLabs, ADL Canberra
andrew.donnellan@au1.ibm.com  IBM Australia Limited