* question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-20 17:46 Irfan Habib
From: Irfan Habib @ 2006-08-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux kernel

Hi,

Where should I look for the code of the native Pthreads implemetation:

I've found this:
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/

Supposedly from the site,it has been superceeded by NPTL by Ulrich
Drepper, but I cant find the code for NPTL?

* Re: question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-20 19:37 ` Nix
From: Nix @ 2006-08-20 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Irfan Habib; +Cc: Linux kernel

On 20 Aug 2006, Irfan Habib suggested tentatively:
> Hi,
>
> Where should I look for the code of the native Pthreads implemetation:
>
> I've found this:
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/
>
> Supposedly from the site,it has been superceeded by NPTL by Ulrich
> Drepper, but I cant find the code for NPTL?

It is in glibc.

--
`We're sysadmins. We deal with the inconceivable so often I can clearly
 see the need to define levels of inconceivability.' --- Rik Steenwinkel

* Re: question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-20 21:32 ` Luka Marinko
From: Luka Marinko @ 2006-08-20 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:46:14 +0500, Irfan Habib wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where should I look for the code of the native Pthreads implemetation:
>
> I've found this:
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/
>
> Supposedly from the site,it has been superceeded by NPTL by Ulrich
> Drepper, but I cant find the code for NPTL?

pthreads (whitch is now NPTL), is part of glibc and can be found at
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/

You can find nice manual here, and overview
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html

Also keep in mind that soem distros, patch their glibs, so you might want
to get sources from there

have a nice day,
Luka Marinko

* Re: question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-20 22:21   ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2006-08-20 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luka Marinko; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 21:32 +0000, Luka Marinko wrote:
> You can find nice manual here, and overview
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html

Unfortunately the NPTL documentation is FAR from complete - there are no
man pages at all, and some featured are completely undocumented.  For
example process-shared mutexes are supported, but the only way you'd
know is to look at the source.  The only docs I could find on how to use
them were old Solaris man pages.

Lee

* Re: question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-21 10:45     ` Mark Hounschell
From: Mark Hounschell @ 2006-08-21 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: Luka Marinko, linux-kernel

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 21:32 +0000, Luka Marinko wrote:
>> You can find nice manual here, and overview
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html
>>

> Unfortunately the NPTL documentation is FAR from complete - there are no
> man pages at all, and some featured are completely undocumented.  For
> example process-shared mutexes are supported, but the only way you'd
> know is to look at the source.  The only docs I could find on how to use
> them were old Solaris man pages.
>
> Lee
>
> -

glibc 2.4.31 has a man page for it.

PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR_GETPSHARED(P)                                 POSIX
Programmer's Manual                                PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR_GETPSHARED(P)

NAME
       pthread_mutexattr_getpshared, pthread_mutexattr_setpshared - get and set
the process-shared attribute

SYNOPSIS
       #include <pthread.h>

       int pthread_mutexattr_getpshared(const pthread_mutexattr_t *
              restrict attr, int *restrict pshared);
       int pthread_mutexattr_setpshared(pthread_mutexattr_t *attr,
              int pshared);

Mark

* Re: question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-29  0:21       ` Nix
From: Nix @ 2006-08-29  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmarkh; +Cc: Lee Revell, Luka Marinko, linux-kernel

On 21 Aug 2006, Mark Hounschell said:
> glibc 2.4.31 has a man page for it.
>
> PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR_GETPSHARED(P)                                 POSIX
> Programmer's Manual                                PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR_GETPSHARED(P)

That's not in glibc, that's in the POSIX part of the manpages
distribution.

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev

* Re: question on pthreads
@ 2006-08-29 11:51         ` Mark Hounschell
From: Mark Hounschell @ 2006-08-29 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nix; +Cc: dmarkh, Lee Revell, Luka Marinko, linux-kernel

Nix wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2006, Mark Hounschell said:
>> glibc 2.4.31 has a man page for it.
>>
>> PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR_GETPSHARED(P)                                 POSIX
>> Programmer's Manual                                PTHREAD_MUTEXATTR_GETPSHARED(P)
>
> That's not in glibc, that's in the POSIX part of the manpages
> distribution.

True but non of my machines had that manpage until the support was in glibc.
Coincidence? Could be I guess...

Mark