* git process question
@ 2017-04-14 22:05 Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2017-04-14 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: LKML

Hi Linus,

I have a minor bug I found and a fix for it. I'm currently putting it
through the grind and will send it to you for this rc release cycle.

Here's the question. My current linux-next development depends on this
fix. I already posted work to linux-next and do not want to rebase.
Would it be OK to cherry pick this change that I send to you, which
will be based on a commit in your tree, into my development branch
where I can continue the work on top of the previous development that's
in linux-next and the fix?

The commit I cherry pick will just evaporate into git mist when you
pull my development branch in the next merge window, as git does the
distilling of commits that are identical. But I want to make sure you
are OK with this plan before I head out and do this.

The alternatives are,

 1) Rebase my current work in linux-next and retest everything from
   scratch. I really don't like doing this.

 2) Merge the development and urgent branches and continue working on
    that. But I understand that you really don't like it when people do
    that.

Thoughts?

-- Steve