* runaway latency detection
@ 2016-08-22  2:22 T. Smith
From: T. Smith @ 2016-08-22  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-scsi, irqbalance

Trying to isolate PREEMPT_RT (full preemption) runaway latency conditions seen when using the cyclictest on the 4.1.8 SMP PREEMPT_RT kernel.  Seen average latency of 3uS, but runaway or outlier max latency random spikes seem indeterminate.  Noted 72uS with one run of the cyclictest for example. Is this a known issue, the cause understood, and is there a patch for this?   This is on ARM8 Cortex-A53 four core. Running the cyclictest on an isolated core 2 or 3 shows same behavior as do other platforms.  No Trusted OS configured.

The goal is to isolate causes of indeterminism when using the PREEMPT_RT kernel configuration with full preemption and to characterize latency and jitter using ftrace, any recommendations on catching random latency spikes using ftrace or profiling when running the cyclictest?

* Re: runaway latency detection
       [not found]   ` <CAChUvXP8Zy4uz95NWFEtF9oU6rHjPZ0Uz5qPMqY1n3i2eBeaSw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-08-21  3:45     ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2016-08-21  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tracy Smith, Nikolay Borisov
  Cc: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior, Clark Williams, Thomas Gleixner,
	Carsten Emde, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, linux-kernel,
	Andrew Morton, Jon Masters, Daniel Wagner, Ingo Molnar,
	Peter Zijlstra

On August 20, 2016 3:04:43 PM EDT, Tracy Smith

>Using ftace it is difficult to catch the latency since it can occur at
>any
>point during the cyclictest. It is an uncomfortable level of
>indeterminism
>without knowing the cause.
>
>Is there a way to trace random latency jumps on a single core using
>trace,
>or any other suggestion to isolate it? I know the functions and tasks
>running on the core using ftrace, but can't catch the random latency
>jumps.

Have you tried using the -b option of cyclictest?  It stops the tracing when it detects a latency. It shows what happened up to that point. I can discuss more about what to do later but I'll be traveling to LinuxCon tomorrow.

-- Steve

@ 2016-08-20 17:54 ` Nikolay Borisov
       [not found]   ` <CAChUvXP8Zy4uz95NWFEtF9oU6rHjPZ0Uz5qPMqY1n3i2eBeaSw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nikolay Borisov @ 2016-08-20 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T. Smith, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior,
	Jon Masters, Carsten Emde, Peter Zijlstra, Thomas Gleixner,
	Andrew Morton, Ingo Molnar, Clark Williams, Steven Rostedt,
	Daniel Wagner
  Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2016-08-20 17:03 T. Smith
From: T. Smith @ 2016-08-20 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bristot de Oliveira, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior,
	Jon Masters, Carsten Emde, Peter Zijlstra, Thomas Gleixner,
	Andrew Morton, Ingo Molnar, Clark Williams, Steven Rostedt,
	Daniel Wagner
  Cc: linux-kernel

Trying to isolate PREEMPT_RT (full preemption) runaway latency conditions seen when using the cyclictest on the 4.1.8 SMP PREEMPT_RT kernel.  Seen average latency of 3uS, but runaway or outlier max latency seems indeterminate.  Noted 72uS with one run of the cyclictest for example. Is this a known issue, the cause understood, and is there a patch for this?