* [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 4.20
@ 2018-10-30 19:17 J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2018-10-30 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-nfs, linux-kernel, Jeff Layton

Please pull nfsd changes for 4.20:

  git://linux-nfs.org/~bfields/linux.git tags/nfsd-4.20

Olga added support for the NFSv4.2 asynchronous copy protocol.  We
already supported COPY, by copying a limited amount of data and then
returning a short result, letting the client resend.  The asynchronous
protocol should offer better performance at the expense of some
complexity.

The other highlight is Trond's work to convert the duplicate reply cache
to a red-black tree, and to move it and some other server caches to RCU.
(Previously these have meant taking global spinlocks on every RPC.)

Otherwise, some RDMA work and miscellaneous bugfixes.

--b.

Amir Goldstein (1):
      lockd: fix access beyond unterminated strings in prints

Andrew Elble (1):
      nfsd: correctly decrement odstate refcount in error path

Chuck Lever (4):
      svcrdma: Reduce max_send_sges
      svcrdma: Remove ->release_rqst call in bc reply handler
      svcrdma: Remove try_module_get from backchannel
      svcrdma: Increase the default connection credit limit

Gustavo A. R. Silva (1):
      nfsd: fix fall-through annotations

Olga Kornievskaia (4):
      NFSD CB_OFFLOAD xdr
      NFSD OFFLOAD_STATUS xdr
      NFSD OFFLOAD_CANCEL xdr
      NFSD introduce async copy feature

Trond Myklebust (18):
      SUNRPC: Remove the server 'authtab_lock' and just use RCU
      SUNRPC: Add lockless lookup of the server's auth domain
      SUNRPC: Refactor sunrpc_cache_lookup
      SUNRPC: Allow cache lookups to use RCU protection rather than the r/w spinlock
      SUNRPC: Make server side AUTH_UNIX use lockless lookups
      knfsd: Allow lockless lookups of the exports
      SUNRPC: Lockless server RPCSEC_GSS context lookup
      knfsd: Lockless lookup of NFSv4 identities.
      NFS: Lockless DNS lookups
      NFS: Fix up a typo in nfs_dns_ent_put
      SUNRPC: Remove non-RCU protected lookup
      SUNRPC: Replace the cache_detail->hash_lock with a regular spinlock
      SUNRPC: Simplify TCP receive code
      knfsd: Remove dead code from nfsd_cache_lookup
      knfsd: Simplify NFS duplicate replay cache
      knfsd: Further simplify the cache lookup
      knfsd: Improve lookup performance in the duplicate reply cache using an rbtree
      nfsd: Fix an Oops in free_session()

YueHaibing (1):
      nfsd: remove set but not used variable 'dirp'

 Documentation/filesystems/nfs/rpc-cache.txt |   6 +-
 fs/lockd/host.c                             |   2 +-
 fs/nfs/dns_resolve.c                        |  15 +-
 fs/nfsd/cache.h                             |  20 +-
 fs/nfsd/export.c                            |  14 +-
 fs/nfsd/export.h                            |   2 +
 fs/nfsd/netns.h                             |   8 +
 fs/nfsd/nfs4callback.c                      |  98 ++++++++++
 fs/nfsd/nfs4idmap.c                         |  11 +-
 fs/nfsd/nfs4proc.c                          | 289 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 fs/nfsd/nfs4state.c                         |  41 +++-
 fs/nfsd/nfs4xdr.c                           |  50 ++++-
 fs/nfsd/nfscache.c                          | 142 +++++++-------
 fs/nfsd/nfsctl.c                            |   1 +
 fs/nfsd/state.h                             |  10 +
 fs/nfsd/vfs.c                               |   5 +-
 fs/nfsd/xdr4.h                              |  28 +++
 fs/nfsd/xdr4cb.h                            |  10 +
 include/linux/sunrpc/cache.h                |  18 +-
 include/linux/sunrpc/svc_rdma.h             |  13 +-
 include/linux/sunrpc/svcauth.h              |   1 +
 net/sunrpc/auth_gss/svcauth_gss.c           |  41 +++-
 net/sunrpc/cache.c                          | 153 +++++++++------
 net/sunrpc/svc_xprt.c                       |   2 +-
 net/sunrpc/svcauth.c                        |  74 +++++--
 net/sunrpc/svcauth_unix.c                   |  24 ++-
 net/sunrpc/svcsock.c                        |  53 ++---
 net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_backchannel.c  |  23 +--
 net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_transport.c    |  10 +-

* Re: [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 4.20
@ 2018-10-30 19:55 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2018-10-30 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:17 PM J. Bruce Fields <bfields@fieldses.org> wrote:

> Please pull nfsd changes for 4.20:

Pulled,

                  Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 4.20
@ 2018-10-30 20:06   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2018-10-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Pulled,

Oh, I take that back. Semantic conflict with locking name change
(recv_lock -> queue_lock) and new code in

   net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_backchannel.c

exposed by my build test.

And looking around, it was reported in linux-next, but you didn't
mention it, which kind of makes the whole reporting pointless.

Guys, what is the point of linux-next if you then don't *react* to it?
The correct reaction is to say during the merge window that "hey,
linux-next showed this issue", just so that I know about it and it
doesn't take me by surprise.

Yes, my normal build tests caught it, and I've fixed up my merge, but
this isn't how things are supposed to work.

                      Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 4.20
@ 2018-10-31 15:44     ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2018-10-31 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 01:06:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > Pulled,
>
> Oh, I take that back. Semantic conflict with locking name change
> (recv_lock -> queue_lock) and new code in
>
>    net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_backchannel.c
>
> exposed by my build test.
>
> And looking around, it was reported in linux-next, but you didn't
> mention it, which kind of makes the whole reporting pointless.
>
> Guys, what is the point of linux-next if you then don't *react* to it?
> The correct reaction is to say during the merge window that "hey,
> linux-next showed this issue", just so that I know about it and it
> doesn't take me by surprise.
>
> Yes, my normal build tests caught it, and I've fixed up my merge, but
> this isn't how things are supposed to work.

Apologies, thanks for the correction.

I see Stephen Rothwell's message from October 5.  I think at the time I
said "OK, looks minor, just something to mention in the pull request",
then forgot about it.

In future when that happens, I'll add some kind of reminder to my
request-pull script.

Stephen also sent a warning about a merge conflict with the vfs tree
(not merged yet, I think) but I assume that's not as big a deal since it
should actually show up at merge time, not build time:

	http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20181029122121.7758fed4@canb.auug.org.au

--b.

* Re: [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 4.20
@ 2018-10-31 15:53       ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2018-10-31 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bfields, torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, jlayton, linux-nfs

On Wed, 2018-10-31 at 11:44 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> Stephen also sent a warning about a merge conflict with the vfs tree
> (not merged yet, I think) but I assume that's not as big a deal since
> it
> should actually show up at merge time, not build time:
>

> http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20181029122121.7758fed4@canb.auug.org.au
>
> --b.

For the record, the same issue shows up in the client code in
net/sunrpc/xprtsock.c, and various people have Cced us with patches.
I've forwarded at least one such patch on to Al, so I'm assuming he
will fix things up before sending a pull request.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace