* Shaohua Li
@ 2019-01-02 17:13 Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2019-01-02 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid, linux-kernel

Hi,

I've got some very sad news to share with you - over Christmas, Shaohua
Li passed away after battling cancer for most of last year.

As you know, Shaohua acted as the maintainer for md. He remained
dedicated to that through the difficult times. With his passing, we
obviously have a void that needs to be filled.

For now, I'll act as interim maintainer for md until we can find a good
permanent solution. I'll queue up reviewed patches in a separate branch,
in the block tree, and help review fixes. I'm subscribed to linux-raid,
but please do CC me as well.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: Shaohua Li
@ 2019-01-03  2:38 ` Guoqing Jiang
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Guoqing Jiang @ 2019-01-03  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, linux-raid, linux-kernel

On 1/3/19 1:13 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got some very sad news to share with you - over Christmas, Shaohua
> Li passed away after battling cancer for most of last year.

It is really a sad news and a big lost for the community consider Shaohua's
great contribution!

> As you know, Shaohua acted as the maintainer for md. He remained
> dedicated to that through the difficult times. With his passing, we
> obviously have a void that needs to be filled.

It is better if there is a small team to maintain md in future since nobody
have broad/deep knowledge as Neil or Shaohua, also people in the team
can cover/backup each other, see [1].

> For now, I'll act as interim maintainer for md until we can find a good
> permanent solution. I'll queue up reviewed patches in a separate branch,
> in the block tree, and help review fixes. I'm subscribed to linux-raid,
> but please do CC me as well.

Thanks, I think there are some patches in shli/md/for-next which supposed
to be merge to 4.21, could you please help to merge them to your branch?
And I suppose you will send a patch to CREDITS for Shaohua.

[1]. https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/12/21/9

Regards,
Guoqing

* Re: Shaohua Li
@ 2019-01-03  7:38   ` Jinpu Wang
From: Jinpu Wang @ 2019-01-03  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guoqing Jiang, Jens Axboe; +Cc: linux-raid, linux-kernel

Guoqing Jiang <gqjiang@suse.com> 于2019年1月3日周四 上午4:16写道:

> On 1/3/19 1:13 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got some very sad news to share with you - over Christmas, Shaohua
> > Li passed away after battling cancer for most of last year.
>
> It is really a sad news and a big lost for the community consider Shaohua's
> great contribution!

It's really a sad news, Shaohua is one of the best Chinese Linux Hackers.

> > As you know, Shaohua acted as the maintainer for md. He remained
> > dedicated to that through the difficult times. With his passing, we
> > obviously have a void that needs to be filled.
>
> It is better if there is a small team to maintain md in future since nobody
> have broad/deep knowledge as Neil or Shaohua, also people in the team
> can cover/backup each other, see [1].

Agree!

> > For now, I'll act as interim maintainer for md until we can find a good
> > permanent solution. I'll queue up reviewed patches in a separate branch,
> > in the block tree, and help review fixes. I'm subscribed to linux-raid,
> > but please do CC me as well.
>
> Thanks, I think there are some patches in shli/md/for-next which supposed
> to be merge to 4.21, could you please help to merge them to your branch?
> And I suppose you will send a patch to CREDITS for Shaohua.
+1

> [1]. https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/12/21/9
>
> Regards,
> Guoqing
Regards,
Jack Wang

* Re: Shaohua Li
@ 2019-01-03  8:28   ` Xiao Ni
From: Xiao Ni @ 2019-01-03  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guoqing Jiang, Jens Axboe, linux-raid, linux-kernel

On 01/03/2019 10:38 AM, Guoqing Jiang wrote:

> On 1/3/19 1:13 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got some very sad news to share with you - over Christmas, Shaohua
>> Li passed away after battling cancer for most of last year.
>
> It is really a sad news and a big lost for the community consider
> Shaohua's
> great contribution!

It's very sad to hear about this. I'm still reading his patches and docs.

>> As you know, Shaohua acted as the maintainer for md. He remained
>> dedicated to that through the difficult times. With his passing, we
>> obviously have a void that needs to be filled.
>
> It is better if there is a small team to maintain md in future since
> nobody
> have broad/deep knowledge as Neil or Shaohua, also people in the team
> can cover/backup each other, see [1].
>
>> For now, I'll act as interim maintainer for md until we can find a good
>> permanent solution. I'll queue up reviewed patches in a separate branch,
>> in the block tree, and help review fixes. I'm subscribed to linux-raid,
>> but please do CC me as well.
>
> Thanks, I think there are some patches in shli/md/for-next which supposed
> to be merge to 4.21, could you please help to merge them to your branch?
> And I suppose you will send a patch to CREDITS for Shaohua.

+1

Regards
Xiao

* Re: Shaohua Li
@ 2019-01-03 16:44   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2019-01-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guoqing Jiang, linux-raid, linux-kernel

On 1/2/19 7:38 PM, Guoqing Jiang wrote:
>> As you know, Shaohua acted as the maintainer for md. He remained
>> dedicated to that through the difficult times. With his passing, we
>> obviously have a void that needs to be filled.
>
> It is better if there is a small team to maintain md in future since nobody
> have broad/deep knowledge as Neil or Shaohua, also people in the team
> can cover/backup each other, see [1].

Certainly, whatever the community deems the best solution.

>> For now, I'll act as interim maintainer for md until we can find a good
>> permanent solution. I'll queue up reviewed patches in a separate branch,
>> in the block tree, and help review fixes. I'm subscribed to linux-raid,
>> but please do CC me as well.
>
> Thanks, I think there are some patches in shli/md/for-next which supposed
> to be merge to 4.21, could you please help to merge them to your branch?
> And I suppose you will send a patch to CREDITS for Shaohua.

I have picked them up and will send them in for this merge window.

--
Jens Axboe