* [RFC] reset: make reset controller driver initialize early
@ 2018-09-10 19:59 Dinh Nguyen
From: Dinh Nguyen @ 2018-09-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Zabel; +Cc: linux-kernel, Marek Vasut

Hi Philipp,

I need to make the reset controller on the SoCFPGA platform initialize
early. I have one solution which is similar to what reset-sunxi is
doing, making the "altr,rst-mgr" initialize early in a separate
reset-socfpga.c but using the reset-simple operations.

I'm guessing SoCFPGA may not be the only platform that needs the reset
driver early, would it make sense to have a solution in reset-simple
that is capable of an early init?

Dinh

* Re: [RFC] reset: make reset controller driver initialize early
@ 2018-09-11  8:31 ` Philipp Zabel
From: Philipp Zabel @ 2018-09-11  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dinh Nguyen; +Cc: linux-kernel, Marek Vasut

Hi Dinh,

On Mon, 2018-09-10 at 14:59 -0500, Dinh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> I need to make the reset controller on the SoCFPGA platform initialize
> early.

What does early mean in this context?

> I have one solution which is similar to what reset-sunxi is
> doing, making the "altr,rst-mgr" initialize early in a separate
> reset-socfpga.c but using the reset-simple operations.

That's what I would have gone for as well.

> I'm guessing SoCFPGA may not be the only platform that needs the reset
> driver early, would it make sense to have a solution in reset-simple
> that is capable of an early init?

I suppose you could share sunxi_reset_init if you pass it a struct
reset_simple_devdata as an argument.

regards
Philipp

* Re: [RFC] reset: make reset controller driver initialize early
@ 2018-09-11  9:46   ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-09-11  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Zabel, Dinh Nguyen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 09/11/2018 10:31 AM, Philipp Zabel wrote:
> Hi Dinh,

Hi all,

> On Mon, 2018-09-10 at 14:59 -0500, Dinh Nguyen wrote:
>> Hi Philipp,
>>
>> I need to make the reset controller on the SoCFPGA platform initialize
>> early.
>
> What does early mean in this context?

Means before timer, since timer needs to be un-reset by Linux before it
can be used.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut