From: paul.devriendt@AMD.com
To: linux@brodo.de, pavel@suse.cz
Cc: davej@redhat.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, aj@suse.de,
	mark.langsdorf@AMD.com, richard.brunner@AMD.com,
	cpufreq@www.linux.org.uk
Subject: RE: Cpufreq for opteron
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:43:37 -0500	[thread overview]

> > +#define VERSION "version 1.00.06 - August 13, 2003"
>
> If AMD wants it in, let's put it into the /* comment header
> at the top */ ?

It gets written to the log file with printk ... if someone needs
to send me a log file of an error, I find it helpful to know what
version of the driver it came from.

> > +static int onbattery = 1;	/* Set if running on battery,
> reset otherwise. */
> > +			   /* Of no relevance unless
> batterypstates <     */
> > +			   /* numpstates, as defined in the
> PSB/PST.      */
>
> I dislike this interaction between ACPI and cpufreq -- it
> should be done
> more generally. Let's discuss that seperately, though. And if
> the code is
> dead code at the moment.

The dead code has been removed in 1.00.07 of the driver. I am
happy to receive suggestions as to better ways of detecting battery
versus mains power transitions.

> > +static int
> > +drv_verify(struct cpufreq_policy *pol)
> > +{
> <snip>
> > +	dprintk(KERN_DEBUG PFX
> > +		"ver: cpu%d, min %d, max %d, cur %d, pol %d
> (%s)\n", pol->cpu,
> > +		pol->min, pol->max, pol->cur, pol->policy,
> > +		pol->policy ==
> > +		CPUFREQ_POLICY_POWERSAVE ? "psave" : pol->policy ==
> > +		CPUFREQ_POLICY_PERFORMANCE ? "perf" : "unk");
> > +
> > +	if (pol->cpu != 0) {
> > +		printk(KERN_ERR PFX "verify - cpu not 0\n");
> > +		return -ENODEV;
> > +	}
> > +
> > +	res = find_match(&targ, &min, &max,
> > +			 pol->policy ==
> > +			 CPUFREQ_POLICY_POWERSAVE ? SEARCH_DOWN
> : SEARCH_UP, 0,
> > +			 0);
>
> Why do you check for CPUFREQ_POLICY here??? In a ->target
> class cpufreq
> driver[*] you must not worry about the policy, only about min and max
> frequency.
>
> [*] ->target class cpufreq drivers [cpufreq_driver->target is
> used] have
> specific operating frequencies.
>     ->setpolicy class cpufreq drivers have operating frequency ranges
> [currently only available on Transmeta Crusoe processors]

If the driver has to expand the range to find a matching frequency, it
has to know whether to expand up or down. That comes from policy.

> Also, it'd be great if this driver were converted to use the CPUfreq
> freuqency table helpers -- check drivers/cpufreq/freq_table.c in
> linux-2.6.0-test4. Using it makes the code much cleaner, easier to
> understand, and less prone to errors.

I'll look into for the next rev.

> 	Dominik

Thanks. Paul.