* Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb
@ 2003-08-11 19:14 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-08-11 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: davej, linux kernel

On 11 Aug 03 at 21:00, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:29, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> > On 11 Aug 03 at 20:01, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > > I now run a VGA console kernel without agpgart with a 16bps X.
> > >
> > > So, there seems to be two issues:
> > > - broken matrox fb: I lose the synchro when switching from X to fb.
> > >   fbset configuration is lost when switching consoles.
> >
> > It is feature, not a bug. fbset does not work on 2.6.x kernels
> > anymore. Apply
> > ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.6.0-t3-c1149.gz
> > if you prefer 2.4.x behavior.
> >
> In fact, it works untill I switch to another console...
> What is the right way to change the console configuration at run-time,
> now ? Or where should I look for this info ?
> Did it become impossible (would be a severe bug, at least for me...) ?

"stty cols XXX rows YYY" sets size. How you'll set pixclock, color depth
or other features is unknown to me - I use my patch above and others
should ask James Simmons...

> > Also if you are using DRI, even latest XFree mga driver I found still
> > reprograms hardware even if XFree server is not on a foreground, so you
> > must use same color depth and vxres for both X and console, and even in
> > this configuration display corruption on console may occur from time to
> > time...
> >                                             Petr Vandrovec
> >
> OK, you confirm exactly the symptom I have seen.
> So it seems to be an X driver problem...
> But X is still buggy when it doesn't use DRI,
> at least in 32 bits modes. I know it's quite certain that it's an X bug,
> but I really would like to understand why it works with 2.4 kernels
> and not with 2.6 ones. The X problem is there even if I use the VGA
> console (I mean with a kernel with fb support _not_ activated).

In 2.4.x kernels dri refused to work on couple of systems I have, while
in 2.6.x it is willing to work even on more systems - if we are talking
about console.

I do not know why you have problems with X - 2.6.0-test3-bk-current
works for me with G200, G450 and G550 with Debian's unstable XFree,
(16/16bpp on G550 system and 24/32bpp on others).
                                                Petr

* Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb
@ 2003-08-11 19:10           ` Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-11 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones; +Cc: Greg KH, linux kernel

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:56, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:55:45PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
>
>  > > > Did you also compile in any of the AGP chipset drivers?
>  > # CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
>
> That'll be 'no' then 8-)
> Fix this, and everything should start magickally working.
>
> 		Dave
Ooops... So sorry, I've been caught like a newby, this time !
I though that was VIA chipset... I just checked what I used to
do on 2.4 kernels, and I did use CONFIG_AGP_AMD...
So I got no excuse...

Many thanks to you !

--
Jocelyn Mayer <l_indien@magic.fr>

* Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb
@ 2003-08-11 19:00 ` Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-11 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec; +Cc: davej, linux kernel

> On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:29, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 11 Aug 03 at 20:01, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > I now run a VGA console kernel without agpgart with a 16bps X.
> >
> > So, there seems to be two issues:
> > - broken matrox fb: I lose the synchro when switching from X to fb.
> >   fbset configuration is lost when switching consoles.
>
> It is feature, not a bug. fbset does not work on 2.6.x kernels
> anymore. Apply
> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.6.0-t3-c1149.gz
> if you prefer 2.4.x behavior.

In fact, it works untill I switch to another console...
What is the right way to change the console configuration at run-time,
now ? Or where should I look for this info ?
Did it become impossible (would be a severe bug, at least for me...) ?

> Also if you are using DRI, even latest XFree mga driver I found still
> reprograms hardware even if XFree server is not on a foreground, so you
> must use same color depth and vxres for both X and console, and even in
> this configuration display corruption on console may occur from time to
> time...
>                                             Petr Vandrovec

OK, you confirm exactly the symptom I have seen.
So it seems to be an X driver problem...
But X is still buggy when it doesn't use DRI,
at least in 32 bits modes. I know it's quite certain that it's an X bug,
but I really would like to understand why it works with 2.4 kernels
and not with 2.6 ones. The X problem is there even if I use the VGA
console (I mean with a kernel with fb support _not_ activated).

Thanks for the infos.

Regards.

--

@ 2003-08-11 18:56         ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-08-11 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: Greg KH, linux kernel

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:55:45PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:

 > > > Did you also compile in any of the AGP chipset drivers?
 > # CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set

That'll be 'no' then 8-)
Fix this, and everything should start magickally working.

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

* Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb
@ 2003-08-11 18:55       ` Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Dave Jones, linux kernel

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:14, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 07:07:03PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:01:06PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> >  > I played with my PC this week-end.
> >  > First I recompiled XFree up to version 4.3.0. It fixed nothing.
> >  > I found out that the agpgart/dri drivers failed to init:
> >  > Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
> >
> > Did you also compile in any of the AGP chipset drivers?
> > You should see another AGP line following the above message.
> > If you built them as modules, make sure you put amd-k7-agp or the like
> > in your /etc/modules to make sure it gets loaded.

Here's the agpgart config I used:
all is in the kernel, nothing in a module....

dules in the kernel, not in modules,
as I used to do in 2.4 kernel, which works well for me
The configuration I tested was (from my .config file):
CONFIG_AGP=y
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151 is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_GAMMA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
CONFIG_DRM_MGA=y

> > Greg, I'm getting quite a few mails which has been people getting
> > bitten by this. We discussed this briefly at OLS, what's the missing
> > piece of the puzzle here, hotplug userspace scripts iirc ?
>
> Yeah, putting a /sbin/hotplug and the agp modules in initramfs so that
> when the pci device is found during boot, the module will be loaded.  I
> think you might be able to do this with initrd too.
>
> But in reality, it's a user config error :)

I guess not, as I don't use modules (and don't want to) for this feature
andI don't use any initrd (and never want too)...

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h
What am I missing here ?

Regards.

--

@ 2003-08-11 18:29 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-08-11 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: davej, linux-kernel

@ 2003-08-11 18:14     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-08-11 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones, Jocelyn Mayer, linux kernel

@ 2003-08-11 18:07   ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-08-11 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: linux kernel, gregkh

@ 2003-08-11 18:01 ` Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-11 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux kernel; +Cc: davej

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 13:40, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > On  8 Aug 03 at 17:45, Juergen Rose wrote:
> > ı I tried on my PC with a Matrox-G450 several kernel and boot options.
> > ı Every time when the console should work with matrox framebuffer,
> > linux
> > ı was crashed. With 2.6.0-test2 and 2.6.0-test2-bk7 I had the
> > following
> > ı warning performing ''make modules_install''
> > ı WARNING:
> > /lib/modules/2.6.0-test2[-bk7]/kernel/drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_crtc2.ko
> > ı needs unknown symbol matroxfb_enable_irq This WARNING disapears for
> >
> > I'm not able to get through Linus's mail filters for past three weeks.
>
> I can boot a Athlon based PC with a Matrox-G450. It runs well.
> The frame buffer is broken, and so is X and overlay buffer,
> but it doesn't crash at all.
> I also booted another kernel on the VGA console.
> The console is OK, X and overlay buffer are still broken,
> but the machine euns well.
> I have two 2.6.0-test2, one with the matroxfb,
> the other one just with the VGA console.

I played with my PC this week-end.
First I recompiled XFree up to version 4.3.0. It fixed nothing.
I found out that the agpgart/dri drivers failed to init:

Clock  Driver v1.11 Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
[drm:drm_init] *ERROR*  Cannot  initialize  the  agpgart  module.
Uninitialised  timer!   This is just a warning.  Your computer is
OK function=0x00000000, data=0x0 Call Trace:
 [<c0121a80>] check_timer_failed+0x40/0x50
 [<c0121da5>] del_timer+0x15/0x80
 [<c020e318>] mga_takedown+0x68/0x340
 [<c0211d4d>] mga_stub_unregister+0x2d/0x39
 [<c03d8ca7>] drm_init+0xd7/0x260
 [<c03ca6dd>] do_initcalls+0x3d/0x90
 [<c03ca749>] do_basic_setup+0x19/0x20
 [<c010508f>] init+0x2f/0x180
 [<c0105060>] init+0x0/0x180
 [<c0106f9d>] kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0x18
from dmesg

So, I reccompiled my kernels without agpgart.
Then, I noticed that X was ran in 32 bits mode
but that xwininfo said it was in 8 bits mode.
I relaunched X in 16 bits modes and it runs fine, now,
including overlay video.
This is quite strange, because it used to run OK on 2.4 kernels
and I got no idea of the source of the problem.
I now run a VGA console kernel without agpgart with a 16bps X.

So, there seems to be two issues:
- broken matrox fb: I lose the synchro when switching from X to fb.
  fbset configuration is lost when switching consoles.
- X problems maybe related to agpgart bad initialisation for
  some modes.

Please tell me if I should do more tests to find out where the problems
come from.

Regards.

Here's my /proc/pci output, if this can help to find out issues for
agpgart sutffs:
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devic AMD-760 [IGD4-1P] Sy (rev 19).
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xc0000000 [0xcfffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6002000 [0xd6002fff].
      I/O at 0xc000 [0xc003].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devic AMD-760 [IGD4-1P] AG (rev 0).
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=14.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, In VT82C686 [Apollo Sup (rev 64).
  Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
    IDE interface: VIA Technologies, In VT82C586/B/686A/B PI (rev 6).
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xc400 [0xc40f].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  2:
    USB Controller: VIA Technologies, In USB (rev 26).
      IRQ 12.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xc800 [0xc81f].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  3:
    USB Controller: VIA Technologies, In USB (#2) (rev 26).
      IRQ 12.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc1f].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  4:
    SMBus: VIA Technologies, In VT82C686 [Apollo Sup (rev 64).
      IRQ 9.
  Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, In VT86C100A [Rhine] (rev 6).
      IRQ 12.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd07f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6000000 [0xd600007f].
  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconducto RTL-8139/8139C/8139C (rev
16).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd4ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6001000 [0xd60010ff].
  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporatio Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 17).
      IRQ 12.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=40.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6003000 [0xd6003fff].
  Bus  0, device  11, function  1:
    Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporatio Bt878 Audio Capture (rev
17).
      IRQ 12.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=255.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6004000 [0xd6004fff].
  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, In IEEE 1394 Host Contr (rev
70).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Max Lat=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6005000 [0xd60057ff].
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd87f].
  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Tekram Technology Co TRM-S1040 (rev 1).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdcff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6006000 [0xd6006fff].
  Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 7).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=20.
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe01f].
  Bus  0, device  17, function  1:
    Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game P (rev 7).
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xe400 [0xe407].
  Bus  1, device   5, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc MGA G400 AGP (rev
130).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=32.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0000000 [0xd1ffffff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd2000000 [0xd2003fff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd3000000 [0xd37fffff].

* Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb
@ 2003-08-09 21:07 Juergen Rose
From: Juergen Rose @ 2003-08-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi Petr,

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 18:16, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On  8 Aug 03 at 17:45, Juergen Rose wrote:
> > I tried on my PC with a Matrox-G450 several kernel and boot options.
> > Every time when the console should work with matrox framebuffer, linux
> > was crashed. With 2.6.0-test2 and 2.6.0-test2-bk7 I had the following
> > warning performing ''make modules_install''
> > WARNING:
> > /lib/modules/2.6.0-test2[-bk7]/kernel/drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_crtc2.ko
> > needs unknown symbol matroxfb_enable_irq This WARNING disapears for
>
> I'm not able to get through Linus's mail filters for past three weeks.
>
> > 2.4.22-pre6-ac1             |         |               |
> > CONFIG_FB=y                 | VGA=6   |  VGA=775      | vesa:0x31C
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y       |         |               |
> > --+--+--+--
> > 2.6.0-test2                 |         |crashes        |crashes
> > CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y|  VGA=6  |after          |after
> > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y       |         |BIOS DATA CHECK|BIOS DATA CHECK
>
> What means this? No useful data here... Oopses? Reboot?
> Endless loop? And did you built vgacon into the kernel? And I'm
> not sure that 2.6.0 can have both vesafb & matroxfb compiled in (well,
> you can compile in both, but I'm not sure what happens).

Sorry, that I did not explain more detailed. "crashes after BIOS DATA
CHECK" means, that "BIOS DATA CHECK" was the last, what I have seen,
then I got a blank screen. For some configurations I still waited
several minutes to see, if it is possible to ping from another PC to the
PC with 2.6.0-test2. But I did not get a connection, so I had to perform
a hard reset with 2.6.0-test2-PC.

> And from your message above it looks like that you are building some
> vital matroxfb portions as a module. Please build them into the kernel
> unless you are really sure that you do not want console on them - while
> 2.4.x's console could use modular fbdevs, 2.6.x's console subsytem
> cannot do that.

'grep -i matrox amd4GBaic7xxx_ideHPT_noacpi_noapic_ess1371.cfg' (which
was my .config) gives
CONFIG_FB_MATROX=m
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MILLENIUM is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MYSTIQUE is not set
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G450=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G100=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_I2C=m
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MAVEN=m
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX_PROC is not set
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MULTIHEAD=y

'grep -i "fb.*=[my]" amd4GBaic7xxx_ideHPT_noacpi_noapic_ess1371.cfg'
gives besides MATROS lines:
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_FBCON_MFB=m
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB2=m
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB4=m
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
CONFIG_FBCON_VGA=y
CONFIG_FBCON_HGA=m
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y

So I will set CONFIG_FB_MATROX and CONFIG_FB_MATROX_I2C to yes, and
build a new kernel at monday.

> You can also try ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.72.gz
> (if 2.6.0-test2-mm5 does not complain about unexported matrox_*_irq
> it will probably not apply cleanly to it). It restores fbcon subsystem
> to the 2.4.x's version.
>                                             Petr
>

> -

	Juergen

--
Juergen Rose <rose@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
University of Potsdam

* Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb
@ 2003-08-09 11:40 Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-09 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux kernel

> On  8 Aug 03 at 17:45, Juergen Rose wrote:
> ı I tried on my PC with a Matrox-G450 several kernel and boot options.
> ı Every time when the console should work with matrox framebuffer,
> linux
> ı was crashed. With 2.6.0-test2 and 2.6.0-test2-bk7 I had the
> following
> ı warning performing ''make modules_install''
> ı WARNING:
> /lib/modules/2.6.0-test2[-bk7]/kernel/drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_crtc2.ko
> ı needs unknown symbol matroxfb_enable_irq This WARNING disapears for
>
> I'm not able to get through Linus's mail filters for past three weeks.

I can boot a Athlon based PC with a Matrox-G450. It runs well.
The frame buffer is broken, and so is X and overlay buffer,
but it doesn't crash at all.
I also booted another kernel on the VGA console.
The console is OK, X and overlay buffer are still broken,
but the machine euns well.
I have two 2.6.0-test2, one with the matroxfb,
the other one just with the VGA console.

> You can also try <a
> href="ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.72.gz">ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.72.gz</a>
> (if 2.6.0-test2-mm5 does not complain about unexported matrox_*_irq
> it will probably not apply cleanly to it). It restores fbcon subsystem
> to the 2.4.x's version.
>                                             Petr

I will check this, I'd like to have more than a VGA console :-)

--

@ 2003-08-08 16:16 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-08-08 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Rose; +Cc: linux-kernel