* kvm + IOMMU
@ 2007-06-13 17:27 David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2007-06-13 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if anyone has done any sort of virtualization testing
with kvm using IOMMU to improve performance of I/O and what sort of
results they've had... I currently don't have a box with IOMMU (at
least I don't think so, since its an i386 box) but will be getting
some amd64 boxes which, hopefully will have that capability.

I was also wondering if kvm can take advantage of IOMMU does it need
to be run a different way? or is it supposed to 'just work' if the
kernel is built with IOMMU?

I keep seeing IOMMU patches fly by on the lkml however those are from
the intel guys and the new boxes we are getting are amd... have the
amd IOMMU support gotten into the kernel yet?

Not sure if this is the best place to ask these questions, so any help
to point me in the right direction on who to talk to would also be
helpful.

Thanks,
- David Brown

* Re: [kvm-devel] kvm + IOMMU
@ 2007-06-13 18:32 ` Gregory Haskins
From: Gregory Haskins @ 2007-06-13 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 10:27 -0700, David Brown wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has done any sort of virtualization testing
> with kvm using IOMMU to improve performance of I/O and what sort of
> results they've had... I currently don't have a box with IOMMU (at
> least I don't think so, since its an i386 box) but will be getting
> some amd64 boxes which, hopefully will have that capability.
>
> I was also wondering if kvm can take advantage of IOMMU does it need
> to be run a different way? or is it supposed to 'just work' if the
> kernel is built with IOMMU?
>
> I keep seeing IOMMU patches fly by on the lkml however those are from
> the intel guys and the new boxes we are getting are amd... have the
> amd IOMMU support gotten into the kernel yet?
>
> Not sure if this is the best place to ask these questions, so any help
> to point me in the right direction on who to talk to would also be
> helpful.

Hi David,
  I am not an expert here, but I don't believe it would work without
changes to KVM.  My understanding is that you use an IOMMU in this
fashion if you want to direct-map a device into a guest for devices that
do not have a local IOMMU-like functionality built in already.  For
instance, perhaps you want to assign an off-the-shelf ethernet NIC to a
guest.  The IOMMU would serve to translate between GPA and system based
DMA addresses.  However, the hypervisor would really need to be involved
in the setup of this mapping on the IOMMU in the first place.

KVM (currently) virtualizes/emulates all components in the logical
"system" presented to the guest.  It doesn't yet support the notion of
direct-mapping a physical component.  I doubt you will have to wait too
long for someone to add this feature, however :)  It's just not there
today (to my knowledge, anyway)

But to answer your question, when configured up like this the IO
subsystem in question should perform pretty close to native (at least in
theory).

Regards,
-Greg

* Re: [kvm-devel] kvm + IOMMU
@ 2007-06-13 18:52   ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2007-06-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi David,
>   I am not an expert here, but I don't believe it would work without
> changes to KVM.  My understanding is that you use an IOMMU in this
> fashion if you want to direct-map a device into a guest for devices that
> do not have a local IOMMU-like functionality built in already.  For
> instance, perhaps you want to assign an off-the-shelf ethernet NIC to a
> guest.  The IOMMU would serve to translate between GPA and system based
> DMA addresses.  However, the hypervisor would really need to be involved
> in the setup of this mapping on the IOMMU in the first place.

Okay its understandable that the initial setup of the mapping between
virtual and actual would be done by some OS (most-likely host).
However isn't the actual mapping when the guest starts and requests
devices supposed to be handled by hardware? I would think performance
wouldn't scale very well if the host OS had to maintain mappings and
translate addresses every time a guest requests access to a mapped
device.

> KVM (currently) virtualizes/emulates all components in the logical
> "system" presented to the guest.  It doesn't yet support the notion of
> direct-mapping a physical component.  I doubt you will have to wait too
> long for someone to add this feature, however :)  It's just not there
> today (to my knowledge, anyway)

That's good to hear. :)

> But to answer your question, when configured up like this the IO
> subsystem in question should perform pretty close to native (at least in
> theory).

Hopefully you mean that the hardware is handling the mapping so that
the host OS won't have to take the burden of mapping a bunch of
addresses all the time.

Thanks,
- David Brown

* Re: [kvm-devel] kvm + IOMMU
@ 2007-06-13 19:12     ` Gregory Haskins
From: Gregory Haskins @ 2007-06-13 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 11:52 -0700, David Brown wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >   I am not an expert here, but I don't believe it would work without
> > changes to KVM.  My understanding is that you use an IOMMU in this
> > fashion if you want to direct-map a device into a guest for devices that
> > do not have a local IOMMU-like functionality built in already.  For
> > instance, perhaps you want to assign an off-the-shelf ethernet NIC to a
> > guest.  The IOMMU would serve to translate between GPA and system based
> > DMA addresses.  However, the hypervisor would really need to be involved
> > in the setup of this mapping on the IOMMU in the first place.
>
> Okay its understandable that the initial setup of the mapping between
> virtual and actual would be done by some OS (most-likely host).
> However isn't the actual mapping when the guest starts and requests
> devices supposed to be handled by hardware? I would think performance
> wouldn't scale very well if the host OS had to maintain mappings and
> translate addresses every time a guest requests access to a mapped
> device.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well.  The hypervisor would have to do
the initial setup, and possibly any bookkeeping updates as the state of
the MMU mappings change over time (if applicable).  But this is
"slow-path" type stuff.  Once the mappings are in place, memory accesses
are handled by the hardware at full speed.

This is akin to how an OS sets up the regular MMU, but then the task
runs at full speed directly on the memory until something like a fault
occurs.  Essentially, IOMMUs perform translation for the peripheral
busses "in" to memory, as a regular MMU performs translation "out".
Someone has to be behind the wheel configuring the translation tables.
However, once they are setup, accesses to memory within the configured
regions happen without software interaction.

> > KVM (currently) virtualizes/emulates all components in the logical
> > "system" presented to the guest.  It doesn't yet support the notion of
> > direct-mapping a physical component.  I doubt you will have to wait too
> > long for someone to add this feature, however :)  It's just not there
> > today (to my knowledge, anyway)
>
> That's good to hear. :)
>
> > But to answer your question, when configured up like this the IO
> > subsystem in question should perform pretty close to native (at least in
> > theory).
>
> Hopefully you mean that the hardware is handling the mapping so that
> the host OS won't have to take the burden of mapping a bunch of
> addresses all the time.

That's correct.