* Re: Compat-wireless release for 2010-10-25 is baked
       [not found] ` <20101026123552.GA4604@sig21.net>
@ 2010-10-26 15:59   ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-10-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Stezenbach; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:03:57PM -0400, Compat-wireless cronjob account wrote:
>> From git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next
>>    d9f241e..e10b307  history    -> origin/history
>>  + c8b020e...fd4f9b3 master     -> origin/master  (forced update)
>>    b515316..229aebb  stable     -> origin/stable
>>  * [new tag]         next-20101025 -> next-20101025
>> Base tree: linux-next.git
>> Base tree version: next-20101025
>> compat-wireless release: compat-wireless-2010-10-22-pc
>
> I wonder about the different tarballs in
> http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/
>
> compat-wireless-2010-10-25.tar.bz2
> compat-wireless-2010-10-25-p.tar.bz2
> compat-wireless-2010-10-25-pc.tar.bz2
>
> Those -p and -pc postfixes are not explained in
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

Right, sorry, I haven't updated the docs to add documentation for
them. First please read:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=128716953726075&w=2

-s is for getting and applying pending-stable/ fixes
-n is for applying the patches linux-next-cherry-picks directory
-p is for applying the patches on the linux-next-pending directory
-s is for applying the patches on the crap directory

> On a related note, I ran across compat-wireless-2.6.36-rc8-1-cs.tar.bz2 in
> http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6-stable/v2.6.36/
> which is not linked on
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/#Releases

That was sort of an RC release I made that I was waiting on feedback
on for some extra linux-next-pending patch merged but I was still
waiting for one test and no one got back to me yet on that. I'm just
going to go ahead and release a new tarball today.

> and I wonder about the -s and -cs postfixes?

This is the crap and the stable fixes propagated. I only had one crap
patch to incorporate though so I will move that to linux-next-pending
and we'll have at -ps release, which means one linux-next-pending
patch will be applied and we'll also get all pending stable fixes
merged.

> Can someone shed a light on this?

Hope this helps.

  Luis

* Re: Compat-wireless release for 2010-10-25 is baked
@ 2010-10-26 18:41     ` Johannes Stezenbach
From: Johannes Stezenbach @ 2010-10-26 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Ivo Van Doorn

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 08:59:04AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder about the different tarballs in
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/
> >
> > compat-wireless-2010-10-25.tar.bz2
> > compat-wireless-2010-10-25-p.tar.bz2
> > compat-wireless-2010-10-25-pc.tar.bz2
> >
> > Those -p and -pc postfixes are not explained in
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
>
> Right, sorry, I haven't updated the docs to add documentation for
> them. First please read:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=128716953726075&w=2
>
> -s is for getting and applying pending-stable/ fixes
> -n is for applying the patches linux-next-cherry-picks directory
> -p is for applying the patches on the linux-next-pending directory
> -s is for applying the patches on the crap directory
  -c

> Hope this helps.

Definitively, thank you very much.  Meanwhile I also found
scripts/admin-update.sh in compat-wireless which seems to
generate the release tarballs.

It looks like, if I want to test the latest rt2x00 code, I could
clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git,
checkout experimental, and then run admin-update.sh with
GIT_TREE=path/to/rt2x00-experimental.  Right?
Or (maybe better?), clone linux-next, merge rt2x00.git and use
the merged tree as GIT_TREE for admin-update.sh.

But according to
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2010-October/002175.html
the compat-rt2x00 tarballs seem to be made manually?

Sorry for stupid questions, I want to get into rt2x00 development
but I need to target a stable 2.6.32 kernel and I'm trying to figure
out which git tree to base my work on.

Thanks,
Johannes

* Re: Compat-wireless release for 2010-10-25 is baked
@ 2010-10-26 18:51       ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-10-26 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Stezenbach; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel, Ivo Van Doorn

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 08:59:04AM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > I wonder about the different tarballs in
>> > http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/
>> >
>> > compat-wireless-2010-10-25.tar.bz2
>> > compat-wireless-2010-10-25-p.tar.bz2
>> > compat-wireless-2010-10-25-pc.tar.bz2
>> >
>> > Those -p and -pc postfixes are not explained in
>> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
>>
>> Right, sorry, I haven't updated the docs to add documentation for
>> them. First please read:
>>
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=128716953726075&w=2
>>
>> -s is for getting and applying pending-stable/ fixes
>> -n is for applying the patches linux-next-cherry-picks directory
>> -p is for applying the patches on the linux-next-pending directory
>> -s is for applying the patches on the crap directory
>  -c
>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Definitively, thank you very much.  Meanwhile I also found
> scripts/admin-update.sh in compat-wireless which seems to
> generate the release tarballs.
>
> It looks like, if I want to test the latest rt2x00 code, I could
> clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git,
> checkout experimental, and then run admin-update.sh with
> GIT_TREE=path/to/rt2x00-experimental.  Right?

Yeap, if rt2x00-experimental is based on linux-next.git. If its based
on wireless-testing.git then you can use the "wl" branch of
compat-wireless, but I tend to not keep that as up to date as the
linux-next.git branch so likely the "wl" branch doesn't apply cleanly
right now with wireless-testing.git as the GIT_TREE.

> Or (maybe better?), clone linux-next, merge rt2x00.git and use
> the merged tree as GIT_TREE for admin-update.sh.

It just depends on the original tree is a clone from and what branch
you use on compat-wireless. The master branch is for linux-next.git,
the "wl" branch is for wireless-testing.git. Every now and then I just
reset the "wl" branch (you'll have to 'git reset --hard wl') to the
master branch and revert any patches that do not apply.

> Well so just
> But according to
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2010-October/002175.html
> the compat-rt2x00 tarballs seem to be made manually?

Too lazy to check that, best thing might be to just focus on upstream
development, ensuring patches get into linux-next.git and having your
users just use the daily tarballs and stable releases for stable
stuff.

> Sorry for stupid questions, I want to get into rt2x00 development
> but I need to target a stable 2.6.32 kernel and I'm trying to figure
> out which git tree to base my work on.

My advice, work on wireless-testing.git, send patches ASAP, and let
them propagate. Use the daily tarballs for user testing and for stable
release you can support users using the stable compat-wireless
releases.

Hope this helps.

  Luis

* Re: Compat-wireless release for 2010-10-25 is baked
@ 2010-10-26 19:48         ` Ivo Van Doorn
From: Ivo Van Doorn @ 2010-10-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: Johannes Stezenbach, linux-wireless, linux-kernel

Hi,

>> Well so just
>> But according to
>> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/pipermail/users_rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/2010-October/002175.html
>> the compat-rt2x00 tarballs seem to be made manually?
>
> Too lazy to check that, best thing might be to just focus on upstream
> development, ensuring patches get into linux-next.git and having your
> users just use the daily tarballs and stable releases for stable
> stuff.

The compat-rt2x00 package only contains the experimental patches,
which are not always ready for upstream usage. It exists for testing purposes.
Not all patches inside the experimental tree will be moved upstream,
they often cause a lot of crashes and are often incomplete.
Basically the package only exists for some people who want to test
the latest rt2x00 code the first.  The mac80211 code inside the package
usually lags a few days behind compat-wireless, simply because I
don't always care for the latest mac80211 version. ;)

>> Sorry for stupid questions, I want to get into rt2x00 development
>> but I need to target a stable 2.6.32 kernel and I'm trying to figure
>> out which git tree to base my work on.
>
> My advice, work on wireless-testing.git, send patches ASAP, and let
> them propagate. Use the daily tarballs for user testing and for stable
> release you can support users using the stable compat-wireless
> releases.

For rt2x00 development you can choose between rt2x00.git and
wireless-testing.git,
the trees are usually not that far apart, since smaller patches are pushed quite
quickly upstream. (Also rt2x00.git is rebased frequently, while
wireless-testing.git rarely
is rebased)

Ivo

* Re: Compat-wireless release for 2010-10-25 is baked
@ 2010-10-26 20:40           ` Johannes Stezenbach
From: Johannes Stezenbach @ 2010-10-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivo Van Doorn; +Cc: Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless, linux-kernel

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 09:48:12PM +0200, Ivo Van Doorn wrote:
> For rt2x00 development you can choose between rt2x00.git and
> wireless-testing.git,
> the trees are usually not that far apart, since smaller patches are pushed quite
> quickly upstream. (Also rt2x00.git is rebased frequently, while
> wireless-testing.git rarely
> is rebased)

Thanks for clarification.  I guess I'll start with wireless-testing,
that sounds a bit more newbie-friendly.  I just want to avoid
searching or reporting bugs which are already fixed, but your description
sounds like changes are pushed from rt2x00.git to wireless-testing.git
maybe weekly.  I was afraid patches would be pushed to wireless-testing.git
only when it's time to get ready for the next merge window.

Thanks,
Johannes

* Re: Compat-wireless release for 2010-10-25 is baked
@ 2010-10-26 20:52             ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-10-26 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Stezenbach; +Cc: Ivo Van Doorn, linux-wireless, linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@sig21.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 09:48:12PM +0200, Ivo Van Doorn wrote:
>> For rt2x00 development you can choose between rt2x00.git and
>> wireless-testing.git,
>> the trees are usually not that far apart, since smaller patches are pushed quite
>> quickly upstream. (Also rt2x00.git is rebased frequently, while
>> wireless-testing.git rarely
>> is rebased)
>
> Thanks for clarification.  I guess I'll start with wireless-testing,
> that sounds a bit more newbie-friendly.  I just want to avoid
> searching or reporting bugs which are already fixed, but your description
> sounds like changes are pushed from rt2x00.git to wireless-testing.git
> maybe weekly.

Remember, wireless-testing gets stuff from wireless-next.git sucked in
after wireless-2.6.git bits are pulled in, so really its
wireless-next.git --> linux-next.git as the daily compat-wireless is
based on linux-next.git. The wireless-testing.git tree just lets you
use a stabe RC kernel with the next kernels' 802.11 bits sucked in. So
you will get your patches merged daily on a good
John-Linville-and-Stephen-Rothwell-ate-his-wheaties-day :)

> I was afraid patches would be pushed to wireless-testing.git
> only when it's time to get ready for the next merge window.

Hell no!

  Luis