* rtsx_usb_sdmmc not detecting card insertion anymore
@ 2023-06-24 20:39 Pascal Terjan
From: Pascal Terjan @ 2023-06-24 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ulf Hansson

Hi,
I have an ASUS PN50 machine with a 0bda:0129 card reader. The card is
not seen unless I reload the rtsx_usb_sdmmc module.

I found a Debian bug report for the same regression
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=993068 but nothing
to see there.

Trying to understand things I found
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4dad599b8b5d1ffc5ef12a2edb13d15d537202ba
which seemed related, so I first tried to revert it and that worked.

Assuming the description is correct and the rtsx USB driver runtime
resumes the rtsx_usb_sdmmc device when it detects that a new card has
been inserted, I assume this means it doesn't detect that a card was
inserted and the problem would be in rtsx_usb rather than
rtsx_usb_sdmmc.

I am not sure how to debug this further, usbmon doesn't see anything
when I insert the card.

* Re: rtsx_usb_sdmmc not detecting card insertion anymore
@ 2023-06-27 11:01 ` Ulf Hansson
From: Ulf Hansson @ 2023-06-27 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Terjan, Kai Heng Feng
  Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ricky WU, Oleksandr Natalenko

+ Ricky WU, Kai Heng Feng, Oleksandr Natalenko

On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 at 22:39, Pascal Terjan <pterjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an ASUS PN50 machine with a 0bda:0129 card reader. The card is
> not seen unless I reload the rtsx_usb_sdmmc module.

Thanks for reporting, let's see how we can move this forward.

I have looped in some of the people that has been involved in the
relevant changes for rtsx_usb. Let's see if they can help too.

> I found a Debian bug report for the same regression
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=993068 but nothing
> to see there.
>
> Trying to understand things I found
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4dad599b8b5d1ffc5ef12a2edb13d15d537202ba
> which seemed related, so I first tried to revert it and that worked.

Okay! That's certainly good information. Are you willing to help
running further debug testings?

Unless I mistaken, I think we should avoid doing a plain revert
(assuming we can find another option) as it will cause us to waste a
lot of energy instead.

> Assuming the description is correct and the rtsx USB driver runtime
> resumes the rtsx_usb_sdmmc device when it detects that a new card has
> been inserted, I assume this means it doesn't detect that a card was
> inserted and the problem would be in rtsx_usb rather than
> rtsx_usb_sdmmc.

There is also another interesting commit, which was also part of the
re-work of the rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver that you pointed to above.

commit 883a87ddf2f1 (misc: rtsx_usb: Use USB remote wakeup signaling
for card insertion detection")

> I am not sure how to debug this further, usbmon doesn't see anything
> when I insert the card.

If you are willing to run some tests, I suggest to add some debug prints in:
drivers/mmc/host/rtsx_usb_sdmmc.c
  sdmmc_get_cd()
  rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume()
  rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_suspend()

sdmmc_get_cd() should be returning 1 when it finds that there is card
inserted, but of course the error path would be interesting too.

rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume() may be called during probing of the
rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver. Beyond that point, it should also be called
when you insert an SD card. Just having a debug print in there should
help answer if that actually happens.

Kind regards
Uffe

* Re: rtsx_usb_sdmmc not detecting card insertion anymore
@ 2023-06-27 13:23   ` Kai-Heng Feng
From: Kai-Heng Feng @ 2023-06-27 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hansson
  Cc: Pascal Terjan, linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ricky WU, Oleksandr Natalenko

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 7:01 PM Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org> wrote:

> + Ricky WU, Kai Heng Feng, Oleksandr Natalenko
>
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 at 22:39, Pascal Terjan <pterjan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have an ASUS PN50 machine with a 0bda:0129 card reader. The card is
> > not seen unless I reload the rtsx_usb_sdmmc module.
>
> Thanks for reporting, let's see how we can move this forward.
>
> I have looped in some of the people that has been involved in the
> relevant changes for rtsx_usb. Let's see if they can help too.
>

> > I found a Debian bug report for the same regression
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=993068 but nothing
> > to see there.
> >
> > Trying to understand things I found
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4dad599b8b5d1ffc5ef12a2edb13d15d537202ba
> > which seemed related, so I first tried to revert it and that worked.
>
> Okay! That's certainly good information. Are you willing to help
> running further debug testings?
>
> Unless I mistaken, I think we should avoid doing a plain revert
> (assuming we can find another option) as it will cause us to waste a
> lot of energy instead.
>

> > Assuming the description is correct and the rtsx USB driver runtime
> > resumes the rtsx_usb_sdmmc device when it detects that a new card has
> > been inserted, I assume this means it doesn't detect that a card was
> > inserted and the problem would be in rtsx_usb rather than
> > rtsx_usb_sdmmc.
>
> There is also another interesting commit, which was also part of the
> re-work of the rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver that you pointed to above.
>
> commit 883a87ddf2f1 (misc: rtsx_usb: Use USB remote wakeup signaling
> for card insertion detection")
>

> > I am not sure how to debug this further, usbmon doesn't see anything
> > when I insert the card.
>
> If you are willing to run some tests, I suggest to add some debug prints in:
> drivers/mmc/host/rtsx_usb_sdmmc.c
>   sdmmc_get_cd()
>   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume()
>   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_suspend()
>
> sdmmc_get_cd() should be returning 1 when it finds that there is card
> inserted, but of course the error path would be interesting too.
>
> rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume() may be called during probing of the
> rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver. Beyond that point, it should also be called
> when you insert an SD card. Just having a debug print in there should
> help answer if that actually happens.

Adding kernel parameter "usbcore.dyndbg" can also help, it will print
out what's going on at USB side.

Kai-Heng

@ 2023-06-27 20:22   ` Pascal Terjan
From: Pascal Terjan @ 2023-06-27 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hansson
  Cc: Kai Heng Feng, linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ricky WU, Oleksandr Natalenko

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 12:01, Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org> wrote:

> + Ricky WU, Kai Heng Feng, Oleksandr Natalenko
>
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 at 22:39, Pascal Terjan <pterjan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have an ASUS PN50 machine with a 0bda:0129 card reader. The card is
> > not seen unless I reload the rtsx_usb_sdmmc module.
>
> Thanks for reporting, let's see how we can move this forward.

> I have looped in some of the people that has been involved in the
> relevant changes for rtsx_usb. Let's see if they can help too.
>

> > I found a Debian bug report for the same regression
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=993068 but nothing
> > to see there.
> >
> > Trying to understand things I found
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4dad599b8b5d1ffc5ef12a2edb13d15d537202ba
> > which seemed related, so I first tried to revert it and that worked.
>
> Okay! That's certainly good information. Are you willing to help
> running further debug testings?
>
> Unless I mistaken, I think we should avoid doing a plain revert
> (assuming we can find another option) as it will cause us to waste a
> lot of energy instead.
>

> > Assuming the description is correct and the rtsx USB driver runtime
> > resumes the rtsx_usb_sdmmc device when it detects that a new card has
> > been inserted, I assume this means it doesn't detect that a card was
> > inserted and the problem would be in rtsx_usb rather than
> > rtsx_usb_sdmmc.
>
> There is also another interesting commit, which was also part of the
> re-work of the rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver that you pointed to above.
>
> commit 883a87ddf2f1 (misc: rtsx_usb: Use USB remote wakeup signaling
> for card insertion detection")
>

> > I am not sure how to debug this further, usbmon doesn't see anything
> > when I insert the card.
>
> If you are willing to run some tests, I suggest to add some debug prints in:
> drivers/mmc/host/rtsx_usb_sdmmc.c
>   sdmmc_get_cd()
>   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume()
>   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_suspend()
>
> sdmmc_get_cd() should be returning 1 when it finds that there is card
> inserted, but of course the error path would be interesting too.
>
> rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume() may be called during probing of the
> rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver. Beyond that point, it should also be called
> when you insert an SD card. Just having a debug print in there should
> help answer if that actually happens.

[7188511.342324] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: : Realtek USB
SD/MMC controller found
[7188511.342499] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: :
rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume
[7188511.342503] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: sdmmc_get_cd
[7188511.342616] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: sdmmc_get_cd 0
[7188511.342626] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: sdmmc_get_cd
[7188511.342700] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: sdmmc_get_cd 0
[7188511.342703] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: sdmmc_set_ios
[7188511.342779] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: sdmmc_set_ios end
[7188511.344062] rtsx_usb_sdmmc rtsx_usb_sdmmc.6.auto: :
rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_suspend

Then nothing happens when inserting a card until reloading the module

@ 2023-06-27 20:28     ` Pascal Terjan
From: Pascal Terjan @ 2023-06-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai-Heng Feng
  Cc: Ulf Hansson, linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ricky WU, Oleksandr Natalenko

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 14:23, Kai-Heng Feng <kai.heng.feng@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 7:01 PM Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > + Ricky WU, Kai Heng Feng, Oleksandr Natalenko
> >
> > On Sat, 24 Jun 2023 at 22:39, Pascal Terjan <pterjan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I have an ASUS PN50 machine with a 0bda:0129 card reader. The card is
> > > not seen unless I reload the rtsx_usb_sdmmc module.
> >
> > Thanks for reporting, let's see how we can move this forward.
> >
> > I have looped in some of the people that has been involved in the
> > relevant changes for rtsx_usb. Let's see if they can help too.
> >

> > > I found a Debian bug report for the same regression
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=993068 but nothing
> > > to see there.
> > >
> > > Trying to understand things I found
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4dad599b8b5d1ffc5ef12a2edb13d15d537202ba
> > > which seemed related, so I first tried to revert it and that worked.
> >
> > Okay! That's certainly good information. Are you willing to help
> > running further debug testings?
> >
> > Unless I mistaken, I think we should avoid doing a plain revert
> > (assuming we can find another option) as it will cause us to waste a
> > lot of energy instead.
> >

> > > Assuming the description is correct and the rtsx USB driver runtime
> > > resumes the rtsx_usb_sdmmc device when it detects that a new card has
> > > been inserted, I assume this means it doesn't detect that a card was
> > > inserted and the problem would be in rtsx_usb rather than
> > > rtsx_usb_sdmmc.
> >
> > There is also another interesting commit, which was also part of the
> > re-work of the rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver that you pointed to above.
> >
> > commit 883a87ddf2f1 (misc: rtsx_usb: Use USB remote wakeup signaling
> > for card insertion detection")
> >

> > > I am not sure how to debug this further, usbmon doesn't see anything
> > > when I insert the card.
> >
> > If you are willing to run some tests, I suggest to add some debug prints in:
> > drivers/mmc/host/rtsx_usb_sdmmc.c
> >   sdmmc_get_cd()
> >   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume()
> >   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_suspend()
> >
> > sdmmc_get_cd() should be returning 1 when it finds that there is card
> > inserted, but of course the error path would be interesting too.
> >
> > rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume() may be called during probing of the
> > rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver. Beyond that point, it should also be called
> > when you insert an SD card. Just having a debug print in there should
> > help answer if that actually happens.
>
> Adding kernel parameter "usbcore.dyndbg" can also help, it will print
> out what's going on at USB side.

Nothing happens for that device (4-4), I only get others (1, 2, 3, 5,
7) waking up repeatedly:

[  316.890285] usb usb7: usb auto-resume
[  316.890322] hub 7-0:1.0: hub_resume
[  316.912386] hub 7-0:1.0: state 7 ports 2 chg 0000 evt 0000
[  316.912460] hub 7-0:1.0: hub_suspend
[  316.912470] usb usb7: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1
[  316.912595] usb usb5: usb auto-resume
[  316.912624] hub 5-0:1.0: hub_resume
[  316.934386] hub 5-0:1.0: state 7 ports 2 chg 0000 evt 0000
[  316.934460] hub 5-0:1.0: hub_suspend
[  316.934471] usb usb5: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1
[  316.934595] usb usb3: usb auto-resume
[  316.934609] hub 3-0:1.0: hub_resume
[  316.956385] hub 3-0:1.0: state 7 ports 2 chg 0000 evt 0000
[  316.956456] hub 3-0:1.0: hub_suspend
[  316.956466] usb usb3: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1
[  316.956540] usb usb2: usb auto-resume
[  316.956553] hub 2-0:1.0: hub_resume
[  316.956576] hub 2-0:1.0: state 7 ports 2 chg 0000 evt 0000
[  316.956594] hub 2-0:1.0: hub_suspend
[  316.956600] usb usb2: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1
[  316.956626] usb usb1: usb auto-resume
[  316.956662] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_resume
[  316.956679] hub 1-0:1.0: state 7 ports 1 chg 0000 evt 0000
[  316.956697] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_suspend
[  316.956703] usb usb1: bus auto-suspend, wakeup 1

The only time I get a log for it is when I reload the module with the
card in, and then eject the card:

[  278.743368] usb 4-4: kworker/15:1 timed out on ep2in len=0/8

* Re: rtsx_usb_sdmmc not detecting card insertion anymore
@ 2023-06-28  1:20       ` Kai-Heng Feng
From: Kai-Heng Feng @ 2023-06-28  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Terjan
  Cc: Ulf Hansson, linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ricky WU, Oleksandr Natalenko

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 4:29 AM Pascal Terjan <pterjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 14:23, Kai-Heng Feng <kai.heng.feng@canonical.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 7:01 PM Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > + Ricky WU, Kai Heng Feng, Oleksandr Natalenko

> > > Thanks for reporting, let's see how we can move this forward.
> > >
> > > I have looped in some of the people that has been involved in the
> > > relevant changes for rtsx_usb. Let's see if they can help too.

> > > Okay! That's certainly good information. Are you willing to help
> > > running further debug testings?
> > >
> > > Unless I mistaken, I think we should avoid doing a plain revert
> > > (assuming we can find another option) as it will cause us to waste a
> > > lot of energy instead.

> > > There is also another interesting commit, which was also part of the
> > > re-work of the rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver that you pointed to above.
> > >
> > > commit 883a87ddf2f1 (misc: rtsx_usb: Use USB remote wakeup signaling
> > > for card insertion detection")

> > > If you are willing to run some tests, I suggest to add some debug prints in:
> > > drivers/mmc/host/rtsx_usb_sdmmc.c
> > >   sdmmc_get_cd()
> > >   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume()
> > >   rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_suspend()
> > >
> > > sdmmc_get_cd() should be returning 1 when it finds that there is card
> > > inserted, but of course the error path would be interesting too.
> > >
> > > rtsx_usb_sdmmc_runtime_resume() may be called during probing of the
> > > rtsx_usb_sdmmc driver. Beyond that point, it should also be called
> > > when you insert an SD card. Just having a debug print in there should
> > > help answer if that actually happens.
> >
> > Adding kernel parameter "usbcore.dyndbg" can also help, it will print
> > out what's going on at USB side.
>
> Nothing happens for that device (4-4), I only get others (1, 2, 3, 5,
> 7) waking up repeatedly:

Interesting. Waking up repeatedly may be the root cause.

Is it possible to file a bug at bugzilla and attach full dmesg?

Kai-Heng

@ 2023-07-02 11:49         ` Pascal Terjan
From: Pascal Terjan @ 2023-07-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai-Heng Feng
  Cc: Ulf Hansson, linux-kernel, linux-mmc, Ricky WU, Oleksandr Natalenko

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 at 02:21, Kai-Heng Feng <kai.heng.feng@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 4:29 AM Pascal Terjan <pterjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Adding kernel parameter "usbcore.dyndbg" can also help, it will print
> > > out what's going on at USB side.
> >
> > Nothing happens for that device (4-4), I only get others (1, 2, 3, 5,
> > 7) waking up repeatedly:
>
> Interesting. Waking up repeatedly may be the root cause.
>
> Is it possible to file a bug at bugzilla and attach full dmesg?

Sorry for the delay, here it is
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217625