* Tag on pinctrl
@ 2012-04-24 13:15 Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-04-24 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dong Aisheng, Stephen Warren, viresh kumar; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel

A while back I created a tag:

pinctrl-mergebase-20120418

On the pinctrl tree. It contains stuff up until that date that
has since been sitting in linux-next for a while.

I do not expect to rebase these patches further. They
are based on v3.4-rc3. So I will base any further pinctrl
work on this.

I think Stephen needed to pull this into the ARM SoC tree?

Anyone else? Viresh's driver would survive without the
latest fixes and doings in pinctrl IIRC.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* Re: Tag on pinctrl
@ 2012-04-24 16:43 ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2012-04-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij; +Cc: Dong Aisheng, viresh kumar, linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel

On 04/24/2012 07:15 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> A while back I created a tag:
>
> pinctrl-mergebase-20120418
>
> On the pinctrl tree. It contains stuff up until that date that
> has since been sitting in linux-next for a while.
>
> I do not expect to rebase these patches further. They
> are based on v3.4-rc3. So I will base any further pinctrl
> work on this.
>
> I think Stephen needed to pull this into the ARM SoC tree?

Yes, I have pulled that tag into the Tegra tree as
for-3.5/gpio-pinmux-dependency, and have a Tegra-specific
for-3.5/gpio-pinmux branch that depends on it. Two other Tegra branches
in turn (for-3.5/tegra30-audio, for-3.5/usb-ulpi) depend on
for-3.5/gpio-pinmux.

Linus, I think this will get into the ARM SoC tree simply by my saying
in my for-3.5/gpio-pinmux pull request that the branch depends on your
tag; I don't /think/ you need to explicitly send a pull request there,
right?

* Re: Tag on pinctrl
@ 2012-04-25 10:46   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2012-04-25 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Warren
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Dong Aisheng, linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:43:58AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Yes, I have pulled that tag into the Tegra tree as
> for-3.5/gpio-pinmux-dependency, and have a Tegra-specific
> for-3.5/gpio-pinmux branch that depends on it. Two other Tegra branches
> in turn (for-3.5/tegra30-audio, for-3.5/usb-ulpi) depend on
> for-3.5/gpio-pinmux.

> Linus, I think this will get into the ARM SoC tree simply by my saying
> in my for-3.5/gpio-pinmux pull request that the branch depends on your
> tag; I don't /think/ you need to explicitly send a pull request there,
> right?

If the gpio-pinmux branch is based on Linus' branch (which it really
should be if it's a dependency...) then git will do the right thing
here.  If it's not then you need to explicitly get things pulled in but
there will also be bisection issues.

* Re: Tag on pinctrl
@ 2012-04-25 11:22   ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-04-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Warren; +Cc: Dong Aisheng, viresh kumar, linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Stephen Warren <swarren@wwwdotorg.org> wrote:

> Linus, I think this will get into the ARM SoC tree simply by my saying
> in my for-3.5/gpio-pinmux pull request that the branch depends on your
> tag; I don't /think/ you need to explicitly send a pull request there,
> right?

Yes I hope so, let's try this and see if it works, if it doesn't,
we'll notice and fix it up someway.

I'll make sure I send a pull request to Torvalds as early as
possible since the pinctrl tree is pretty independent of any
other stuff.

Thanks,
Linus Walleij

* Re: Tag on pinctrl
@ 2012-04-25 15:01     ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2012-04-25 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Linus Walleij, Dong Aisheng, linux-kernel, linux-arm-kernel

On 04/25/2012 04:46 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:43:58AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have pulled that tag into the Tegra tree as
>> for-3.5/gpio-pinmux-dependency, and have a Tegra-specific
>> for-3.5/gpio-pinmux branch that depends on it. Two other Tegra branches
>> in turn (for-3.5/tegra30-audio, for-3.5/usb-ulpi) depend on
>> for-3.5/gpio-pinmux.
>
>> Linus, I think this will get into the ARM SoC tree simply by my saying
>> in my for-3.5/gpio-pinmux pull request that the branch depends on your
>> tag; I don't /think/ you need to explicitly send a pull request there,
>> right?
>
> If the gpio-pinmux branch is based on Linus' branch (which it really
> should be if it's a dependency...) then git will do the right thing
> here.  If it's not then you need to explicitly get things pulled in but
> there will also be bisection issues.

The Tegra branch is indeed based directly on the pinctrl branch.

However, I was talking more about how Arnd/Olof are managing arm-soc
than raw git operation; I believe they like to keep an explicit separate
branch for each dependency in order to track which commits to wait for
before sending pull requests for the branches they have that are based
on them, so the dependent commits come in from their original subsystem
first.