* Question on irq autoprobe
@ 2012-09-14  2:02 Ming Lei
From: Ming Lei @ 2012-09-14  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see the below comments on probe_irq_off:

     *  BUGS: When used in a module (which arguably shouldn't happen)
     *  nothing prevents two IRQ probe callers from overlapping. The
     *  results of this are non-optimal.
     */

But from the code of probe_irq_on and probe_irq_off, the mutex of
probing_active is held during the whole irq probe procedure, so
I don't understand why the above said that 'nothing prevents two
IRQ probe callers from overlapping", and why isn't the mutex of
probing_active enough to avoid the overlapping?

Ming Lei

* Re: Question on irq autoprobe
@ 2012-09-27  4:08 ` Ming Lei
From: Ming Lei @ 2012-09-27  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Ming Lei <tom.leiming@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see the below comments on probe_irq_off:
>
>      *  BUGS: When used in a module (which arguably shouldn't happen)
>      *  nothing prevents two IRQ probe callers from overlapping. The
>      *  results of this are non-optimal.
>      */
>
> But from the code of probe_irq_on and probe_irq_off, the mutex of
> probing_active is held during the whole irq probe procedure, so
> I don't understand why the above said that 'nothing prevents two
> IRQ probe callers from overlapping", and why isn't the mutex of
> probing_active enough to avoid the overlapping?

Thomas, I really appreciate that if you may clarify the question, :-)

Thank,
--
Ming Lei