* RM9000 / E9000, MSP71xx class processors, SOCs and eval boards
@ 2012-12-06 16:00 Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2012-12-06 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips, linux-kernel

Folks,

since many years the support code for those devices is rusting away in
the lmo git tree and frankly, I'd get rid of it because there's been
very few patch submissions or any kind of indication that somebody
still cares.  In short, this has turned into a waste of resource not
least my time.

So, is anybody still interested in maintaining that code?  If so, you
better attach a bunch of patches to your reply.

  Ralf

* Re: RM9000 / E9000, MSP71xx class processors, SOCs and eval boards
@ 2012-12-06 21:28 ` Shane McDonald
From: Shane McDonald @ 2012-12-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle; +Cc: linux-mips, linux-kernel

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> since many years the support code for those devices is rusting away in
> the lmo git tree and frankly, I'd get rid of it because there's been
> very few patch submissions or any kind of indication that somebody
> still cares.  In short, this has turned into a waste of resource not
> least my time.
>
> So, is anybody still interested in maintaining that code?  If so, you
> better attach a bunch of patches to your reply.
>
>   Ralf

I'm interested in the MSP71xx eval board, although I may be
the only person in the world who cares.  Specifically, I use the
msp71xx_defconfig.  3.7-rc8 compiles with gcc-4.6.3
without requiring any patches.

I don't know when the last time the RM9000 was compilable,
but I have no interest in that, nor do I have interest in the
FPGA or eval board versions of the MSP7120 (no hardware to
test with).

I had hoped that someone from PMC-Sierra would respond, but
maybe they don't care anymore...

Shane McDonald

* Re: RM9000 / E9000, MSP71xx class processors, SOCs and eval boards
@ 2012-12-11 11:14   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2012-12-11 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane McDonald; +Cc: linux-mips, linux-kernel

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 03:28:17PM -0600, Shane McDonald wrote:

> I'm interested in the MSP71xx eval board, although I may be
> the only person in the world who cares.  Specifically, I use the
> msp71xx_defconfig.  3.7-rc8 compiles with gcc-4.6.3
> without requiring any patches.
>
> I don't know when the last time the RM9000 was compilable,
> but I have no interest in that, nor do I have interest in the
> FPGA or eval board versions of the MSP7120 (no hardware to
> test with).
>
> I had hoped that someone from PMC-Sierra would respond, but
> maybe they don't care anymore...

Being a crazy tradition set by the Sparc AP1000, I'm happy with a single
user :-)

The Yosemite stuff scores higher on my kill list anyway.  The board
support code was never too great but that's not the issue; the SOC's
network driver which is rotting away in the linux-mips.org git tree as
the last change that can't be merged upstream as it is, stopped even
compiling ages ago and while a superior replacement has been posted,
nobody cared enough to get it into mergeable shape.

Now that 3.7 is finally released, hasta la vista, Yosemite.

  Ralf