* Questions about function detect_intel_iommu(void)
@ 2012-11-26  6:36 Li, Zhen-Hua
From: Li, Zhen-Hua @ 2012-11-26  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Hi all,
     I am debugging a bug about iommu recently and got a question
about the function detect_intel_opmmu,  Could anybody kindly help me?

     In dmar.c, this function :
                void __init detect_intel_iommu(void)
     In 2.6.32 and redhat enterprise kernel 2.6.18, it is called by
x86_64 system . But in kernel 3.5.2, it is only needed on IA64 system.

    And my question is: is this function really needed for x86_64 and
i386 in 2.6.32?

Thanks and Regards.

Li, Zhen-Hua

* Re: Questions about function detect_intel_iommu(void)
@ 2012-11-26  8:25 ` Dave Airlie
From: Dave Airlie @ 2012-11-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li, Zhen-Hua; +Cc: Linux Kernel

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Li, Zhen-Hua <lizhenhua.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I am debugging a bug about iommu recently and got a question
> about the function detect_intel_opmmu,  Could anybody kindly help me?
>
>      In dmar.c, this function :
>                 void __init detect_intel_iommu(void)
>      In 2.6.32 and redhat enterprise kernel 2.6.18, it is called by
> x86_64 system . But in kernel 3.5.2, it is only needed on IA64 system.
>
>     And my question is: is this function really needed for x86_64 and
> i386 in 2.6.32?

Not sure why you think its IA64, its called from the iommu init code
in 3.x here.

via the IOMMU_INIT_POST macro
Dave.

@ 2012-11-26  8:44   ` Li, Zhen-Hua
From: Li, Zhen-Hua @ 2012-11-26  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Airlie; +Cc: Linux Kernel

I read the code of kernel 3.5.2, and found this function is only
called in function void __init pci_iommu_alloc(void) in file
arch/ia64/kernel/pci-dma.c .
So I think it is only called on IA64 system.