* Re: Kexec couldn't reboot capture kernel on pandaboard ES with OMAP4460
       [not found] ` <51658B1A.6090706@wwwdotorg.org>
@ 2013-04-11  4:46   ` Li Haifeng
From: Li Haifeng @ 2013-04-11  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Warren
  Cc: pandaboard, linux-omap, linux-arm-kernel, kexec, linux-kernel

2013/4/10 Stephen Warren <swarren@wwwdotorg.org>:
> On 04/10/2013 03:35 AM, Li Haifeng wrote:
>> Hi, everyone.
>>
>> Recently, I try to run kdump on pandaboard ES with omap4460. After
>> load capture kernel by "kexec -l" and execute "kexec -e", the serial
>> port output "Starting new kernel" and "Bye", then the system hangs up.
>>
>> I have tried the upstream Linux Kernel v3.4 and v3.8. All are with this issue.
>
> This is a shot in the dark. I assume you have SMP enabled. Can you use
> hotplug to remove all CPUs other than CPU0, so that the kexec happens on
> the boot CPU? That is certainly necessary for kexec to work correctly on
> Tegra.

Thanks for your attention.

I do disable SMP feature. And the .config file for v3.8 could be found here:
http://pastehtml.com/view/cylyrfejt.txt

The log and operation could be found here:
http://pastehtml.com/view/cylyfrb3a.txt

Some key setting list below.

bootargs:
rw vram=32M fixrtc mem=1G@0x80000000 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootwait crashkernel=64M@0x82000000

operation:
/ # ./kexec -l  --append="rw vram=32M fixrtc  root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 console=ttyO2,
115200n8 rootwait" uImage
/ # ./kexec -d -e

The output:
[   57.373687] Starting new kernel
[   57.377044] Bye!

Then system hangs.

* Re: Kexec couldn't reboot capture kernel on pandaboard ES with OMAP4460
@ 2013-04-11 16:19     ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2013-04-11 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Haifeng; +Cc: pandaboard, linux-omap, linux-arm-kernel, kexec, linux-kernel

On 04/10/2013 10:46 PM, Li Haifeng wrote:
> 2013/4/10 Stephen Warren <swarren@wwwdotorg.org>:
>> On 04/10/2013 03:35 AM, Li Haifeng wrote:
>>> Hi, everyone.
>>>
>>> Recently, I try to run kdump on pandaboard ES with omap4460. After
>>> load capture kernel by "kexec -l" and execute "kexec -e", the serial
>>> port output "Starting new kernel" and "Bye", then the system hangs up.
>>>
>>> I have tried the upstream Linux Kernel v3.4 and v3.8. All are with this issue.
>>
>> This is a shot in the dark. I assume you have SMP enabled. Can you use
>> hotplug to remove all CPUs other than CPU0, so that the kexec happens on
>> the boot CPU? That is certainly necessary for kexec to work correctly on
>> Tegra.
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> I do disable SMP feature. And the .config file for v3.8 could be found here:
> http://pastehtml.com/view/cylyrfejt.txt
> The output:
> [   57.373687] Starting new kernel
> [   57.377044] Bye!
>
> Then system hangs.

Oh well, you've exhausted my knowledge I'm afraid! I can only suggesting
trying to enable earlyprintk and/or uncompressor debug in the kernel
you're kexec'ing and see if that yields any clue. Either that, or JTAG!

* Re: Kexec couldn't reboot capture kernel on pandaboard ES with OMAP4460
@ 2013-04-12 10:45       ` Will Deacon
From: Will Deacon @ 2013-04-12 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Warren
  Cc: Li Haifeng, linux-omap, pandaboard, kexec, linux-kernel,
	linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 05:19:21PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 04/10/2013 10:46 PM, Li Haifeng wrote:

> >> This is a shot in the dark. I assume you have SMP enabled. Can you use
> >> hotplug to remove all CPUs other than CPU0, so that the kexec happens on
> >> the boot CPU? That is certainly necessary for kexec to work correctly on
> >> Tegra.
> >
> > Thanks for your attention.
> >
> > I do disable SMP feature. And the .config file for v3.8 could be found here:
> > http://pastehtml.com/view/cylyrfejt.txt
> > The output:
> > [   57.373687] Starting new kernel
> > [   57.377044] Bye!
> >
> > Then system hangs.
>
> Oh well, you've exhausted my knowledge I'm afraid! I can only suggesting
> trying to enable earlyprintk and/or uncompressor debug in the kernel
> you're kexec'ing and see if that yields any clue. Either that, or JTAG!

Also worth using the bleeding edge kexec-tools (i.e. build from source),
especially if you want to anything device-tree related.

Back to the SMP point: Stephen, did you ever get anywhere with that
disable_nonboot_cpus thread from a few months back? I'm still keen to get
that working, and I *thought* we had a potential solution...

Will

* Re: Kexec couldn't reboot capture kernel on pandaboard ES with OMAP4460
@ 2013-04-12 15:22         ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2013-04-12 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Deacon
  Cc: Li Haifeng, linux-omap, pandaboard, kexec, linux-kernel,
	linux-arm-kernel

On 04/12/2013 04:45 AM, Will Deacon wrote:
> Back to the SMP point: Stephen, did you ever get anywhere with that
> disable_nonboot_cpus thread from a few months back? I'm still keen to get
> that working, and I *thought* we had a potential solution...

No, I've been side-tracked on too many other things to follow up on that:-(