* Re: [GIT PULL] userns regression fix for v5.12-rc3
       [not found] <m1lfasf44s.fsf@fess.ebiederm.org>
@ 2021-03-12 22:33 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2021-03-12 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

> Please pull the for-v5.12-rc3 branch from the git tree.
>
> Removing the ambiguity broke userspace so please revert the change:
> It turns out that there are in fact userspace implementations that
> care and this recent change caused a regression.
>
> https://github.com/containers/buildah/issues/3071

Pulled.

But please cc the kernel mailing list (or something like that) for
these things, so that you get the pr-tracker-bot reply automatically.

Perhaps you don't care about the pr-tracker-bot that much, but even
aside from that, I just like the pulls to be cc'd on the lists, if
only as "documentation".

(Plus since I've gotten used to seeing the pr-tracker-bot
confirmations, I then get antsy and wondering if something is wrong
with the bot when it doesn't respond fully when I push things out,
which is how I noticed this one).

              Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL] userns regression fix for v5.12-rc3
@ 2021-03-13 16:45   ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2021-03-13 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please pull the for-v5.12-rc3 branch from the git tree.
>>
>> Removing the ambiguity broke userspace so please revert the change:
>> It turns out that there are in fact userspace implementations that
>> care and this recent change caused a regression.
>>
>> https://github.com/containers/buildah/issues/3071
>
> Pulled.
>
> But please cc the kernel mailing list (or something like that) for
> these things, so that you get the pr-tracker-bot reply automatically.
>
> Perhaps you don't care about the pr-tracker-bot that much, but even
> aside from that, I just like the pulls to be cc'd on the lists, if
> only as "documentation".
>
> (Plus since I've gotten used to seeing the pr-tracker-bot
> confirmations, I then get antsy and wondering if something is wrong
> with the bot when it doesn't respond fully when I push things out,
> which is how I noticed this one).

Sorry about that.  I meant to CC lkml but my fingers forgot to include
it this time.

I just knew I had to get this out so we could start unbreaking users.

Eric