From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
Cc: Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@intel.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux PM list <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Thermal management updates for v5.4-rc1
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 12:41:04 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:29 PM Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> wrote:

> Because there are literally thousands of developers working on kernel
> bits here and there, and you're swatting this particular fly one
> developer at a time.

Well, at least these days it's also very clearly spelled out in the
Documentation directory.

And the "don't rebase" does get posted on the mailing lists each time,
and I've mentioned it over the years in my release notes too.

Besides, I actually only work with about a hundred top-level
maintainers, not thousands. Yes, we have thousands of developers, but
doing the stats over the 5.0 releases, there have been "only" 131
people sending me pull requests. Sure, more than a couple, but at the
same time it's not like this is a "every developer" kind of thing,
this is literally subsystem maintainers. We've got a fair number of
them, but it's definitely not about thousands.

I feel like I've sent that email out way more than a hundred times
over the last 15+ years.

.. and I don't think having git warn is right, since rebasing is
perfectly fine as you are doing development.

It's really just that maintainers shouldn't do it for bad reasons and
at bad times.

And "there was a conflict" and "yesterday" is really one of the
absolute worst reasons/times around.

                    Linus