From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@hansenpartnership.com>
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>,
	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>,
	 linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] first round of SCSI updates for the 6.7+ merge window
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:47:45 -0800	[thread overview]

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 at 14:36, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Stop making a bad pgp experience even worse - for no reason and
> absolutely zero upside.

Side note: even getting gpg to show the subkeys was just an exercise
in frustration.

For example, I'd expect that when you do

   gpg --list-key E76040DB76CA3D176708F9AAE742C94CEE98AC85

it would show the details of that key. No, it does not. It doesn't
even *mention* that key.

Because this is gpg, and the project motto was probably "pgp was
designed to be hard to use, and by golly, we'll take that to 11".

And no, adding "-vv" to get more verbose output doesn't help. That
just makes gpg show more *other* keys.

Now, obviously, in order to actually show the key I *asked* gpg to
list, I also have to use the "--with-subkey-fingerprint". OBVIOUSLY.

I can hear everybody go all Homer on me and say "Well, duh, dummy".

So yes, I realize that my frustration with pgp is because I'm just too
stupid to understand how wonderful the UX really is, but my point is
that you're really making it worse by using pointless features that
actively makes it all so much less usable than it already is.

Subkeys and expiration date make a bad experience worse.

Yes, I blame myself for thinking pgp was a good model for tag signing.
What can I say? I didn't expect people to actively try to use every
bad feature.

                Linus