* Linus, please revert 7dc8f11437: regression in 5.7-rc0, hangs while attempting to run X
@ 2020-04-07  7:20 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-04-07  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel list, jani.nikula, joonas.lahtinen, rodrigo.vivi,
	intel-gfx, airlied, chris, matthew.auld, Linus Torvalds
  Cc: tglx, mingo, bp, hpa

On Fri 2020-04-03 15:00:31, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 7dc8f1143778a35b190f9413f228b3cf28f67f8d
>
>     drm/i915/gem: Drop relocation slowpath
>
>     Since the relocations are no longer performed under a global
>     struct_mutex, or any other lock, that is also held by pagefault handlers,
>     we can relax and allow our fast path to take a fault. As we no longer
>     need to abort the fast path for lock avoidance, we no longer need the
>     slow path handling at all.
>
> causes regression on thinkpad x220: instead of starting X, I'm looking
> at blinking cursor.
>
> Reverting the patch on too of 919dce24701f7b3 fixes things for me.

I have received no feedback from patch authors, and I believe we don't
want to break boot in -rc1 on Intel hardware... so the commit should
be simply reverted.

Best regards,
								Pavel

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Linus, please revert 7dc8f11437: regression in 5.7-rc0, hangs while attempting to run X
@ 2020-04-07  7:24 ` Chris Wilson
From: Chris Wilson @ 2020-04-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Pavel Machek, airlied, intel-gfx, jani.nikula,
	joonas.lahtinen, kernel list, matthew.auld, rodrigo.vivi
  Cc: tglx, mingo, bp, hpa

Quoting Pavel Machek (2020-04-07 08:20:47)

> On Fri 2020-04-03 15:00:31, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > 7dc8f1143778a35b190f9413f228b3cf28f67f8d
> >
> >     drm/i915/gem: Drop relocation slowpath
> >
> >     Since the relocations are no longer performed under a global
> >     struct_mutex, or any other lock, that is also held by pagefault handlers,
> >     we can relax and allow our fast path to take a fault. As we no longer
> >     need to abort the fast path for lock avoidance, we no longer need the
> >     slow path handling at all.
> >
> > causes regression on thinkpad x220: instead of starting X, I'm looking
> > at blinking cursor.
> >
> > Reverting the patch on too of 919dce24701f7b3 fixes things for me.
>
> I have received no feedback from patch authors, and I believe we don't
> want to break boot in -rc1 on Intel hardware... so the commit should
> be simply reverted.

Beyond the fix already submitted?
-Chris

* Re: Linus, please revert 7dc8f11437: regression in 5.7-rc0, hangs while attempting to run X
@ 2020-04-07  7:48   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-04-07  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wilson
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, airlied, intel-gfx, jani.nikula, joonas.lahtinen,
	kernel list, matthew.auld, rodrigo.vivi, tglx, mingo, bp, hpa

Hi!

> > > 7dc8f1143778a35b190f9413f228b3cf28f67f8d
> > >
> > >     drm/i915/gem: Drop relocation slowpath
> > >
> > >     Since the relocations are no longer performed under a global
> > >     struct_mutex, or any other lock, that is also held by pagefault handlers,
> > >     we can relax and allow our fast path to take a fault. As we no longer
> > >     need to abort the fast path for lock avoidance, we no longer need the
> > >     slow path handling at all.
> > >
> > > causes regression on thinkpad x220: instead of starting X, I'm looking
> > > at blinking cursor.
> > >
> > > Reverting the patch on too of 919dce24701f7b3 fixes things for me.
> >
> > I have received no feedback from patch authors, and I believe we don't
> > want to break boot in -rc1 on Intel hardware... so the commit should
> > be simply reverted.
>
> Beyond the fix already submitted?

I did not get that one, can I have a pointer?

@ 2020-04-10 20:25     ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2020-04-10 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Chris Wilson, Dave Airlie, intel-gfx, Jani Nikula,
	Joonas Lahtinen, kernel list, matthew.auld, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, Borislav Petkov, Peter Anvin

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 12:48 AM Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:

> > Beyond the fix already submitted?
>
> I did not get that one, can I have a pointer?

What's the status of this one?

I'm assuming the fix is commit 721017cf4bd8 ("drm/i915/gem: Ignore
readonly failures when updating relics"), but didn't see a reply to
the query or a confirmation of things working..

Btw, Chris, that __put_user() not testing the error should at least
have a comment. We don't have a working "__must_check" for those
things (because they are subtle macros, not functions), but if we did,
we'd get a compiler warning for not checking the error value.

            Linus

* Re: Linus, please revert 7dc8f11437: regression in 5.7-rc0, hangs while attempting to run X
@ 2020-04-11  7:51       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-04-11  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Chris Wilson, Dave Airlie, intel-gfx, Jani Nikula,