* Inode entry of a process in /proc/pid changes
@ 2014-02-06 14:57 navin p
From: navin p @ 2014-02-06 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
        I am running RHEL 6.4 on  2.6 linux x64 on one of our customer server.
When there is a stress or the server is highly loaded by one of the backup
agents the inode number (got from ls -i /proc/<pid> or ls -i
/proc/<pid>/task/<tid> ) changes. If you don't put any stress/load on the
system , the inode number remains intact.
 I have a few questions for troubleshooting this problem .

1) Can /proc be mounted so that the inode numbers of a process and its
tasks (threads) don't changed unless it is a new process ?

2) How is the proc file system created /freed  and subentries under it?

3)Why do the inode numbers change. I understand for a newly created process
it could have a new inode number but for a long running process like init
why does it change ever ?

Can someone point out source links to the latest kernel version so that i
can understand it better ?

Thank you,
Navin Parakkal

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-02-06 14:57 UTC | newest]