* error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
@ 2023-08-08 18:44 kernel test robot
From: kernel test robot @ 2023-08-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook
  Cc: llvm, oe-kbuild-all, linux-kernel, Arnd Bergmann,
	Nathan Chancellor, Nick Desaulniers, Masahiro Yamada,
	Andrew Morton, Linux Memory Management List

tree:   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
head:   02aee814d37c563e24b73bcd0f9cb608fbd403d4
commit: f9b3cd24578401e7a392974b3353277286e49cee Kconfig.debug: make DEBUG_INFO selectable from a choice
date:   1 year, 5 months ago
config: riscv-randconfig-r001-20230808 (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/config)
compiler: clang version 14.0.6 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git f28c006a5895fc0e329fe15fead81e37457cb1d1)
reproduce: (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/reproduce)

If you fix the issue in a separate patch/commit (i.e. not just a new version of
the same patch/commit), kindly add following tags
| Reported-by: kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com>
| Closes: https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/

All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):

>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
   fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
   20 errors generated.
   make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:288: arch/riscv/kernel/vdso/vgettimeofday.o] Error 1 shuffle=3686795728
   make[2]: Target 'include/generated/vdso-offsets.h' not remade because of errors.
   make[1]: *** [arch/riscv/Makefile:120: vdso_prepare] Error 2 shuffle=3686795728
   make[1]: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.
   make: *** [Makefile:219: __sub-make] Error 2 shuffle=3686795728
   make: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.

--
0-DAY CI Kernel Test Service
https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests/wiki

* Re: error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
@ 2023-08-08 19:46 ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2023-08-08 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel test robot, Kees Cook
  Cc: llvm, oe-kbuild-all, linux-kernel, Arnd Bergmann,
	Nathan Chancellor, Masahiro Yamada, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Memory Management List, Conor Dooley

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 12:02 PM kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com> wrote:

> tree:   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
> head:   02aee814d37c563e24b73bcd0f9cb608fbd403d4
> commit: f9b3cd24578401e7a392974b3353277286e49cee Kconfig.debug: make DEBUG_INFO selectable from a choice
> date:   1 year, 5 months ago
> config: riscv-randconfig-r001-20230808 (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/config)
> compiler: clang version 14.0.6 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git f28c006a5895fc0e329fe15fead81e37457cb1d1)

FWIW, I wasn't able to reproduce with the provided config and
clang-17.  Perhaps this is a bug for older clang releases (the bot
tested with clang-14).

> reproduce: (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/reproduce)
>
> If you fix the issue in a separate patch/commit (i.e. not just a new version of
> the same patch/commit), kindly add following tags
> | Reported-by: kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com>
> | Closes: https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/
>
> All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):
>
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
> >> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>    fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
>    20 errors generated.
>    make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:288: arch/riscv/kernel/vdso/vgettimeofday.o] Error 1 shuffle=3686795728
>    make[2]: Target 'include/generated/vdso-offsets.h' not remade because of errors.
>    make[1]: *** [arch/riscv/Makefile:120: vdso_prepare] Error 2 shuffle=3686795728
>    make[1]: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.
>    make: *** [Makefile:219: __sub-make] Error 2 shuffle=3686795728
>    make: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.
>
> --
> 0-DAY CI Kernel Test Service
> https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests/wiki

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
@ 2023-08-10  7:48   ` Yujie Liu
From: Yujie Liu @ 2023-08-10  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers
  Cc: kernel test robot, Kees Cook, llvm, oe-kbuild-all, linux-kernel,
	Arnd Bergmann, Nathan Chancellor, Masahiro Yamada, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Memory Management List, Conor Dooley

Hi Nick,

On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 12:46:00PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 12:02 PM kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > tree:   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
> > head:   02aee814d37c563e24b73bcd0f9cb608fbd403d4
> > commit: f9b3cd24578401e7a392974b3353277286e49cee Kconfig.debug: make DEBUG_INFO selectable from a choice
> > date:   1 year, 5 months ago
> > config: riscv-randconfig-r001-20230808 (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/config)
> > compiler: clang version 14.0.6 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git f28c006a5895fc0e329fe15fead81e37457cb1d1)
>
> FWIW, I wasn't able to reproduce with the provided config and
> clang-17.  Perhaps this is a bug for older clang releases (the bot
> tested with clang-14).

Thanks for this info. We re-tested with various versions of clang.
clang-14 throws this error, while clang-15/16/17 have no problem in this
case. We will consider adjusting our compiler coverage and remove the old
clang-14.

Best Regards,
Yujie

@ 2023-08-14 22:13     ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2023-08-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yujie Liu
  Cc: kernel test robot, Kees Cook, llvm, oe-kbuild-all, linux-kernel,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 1:04 AM Yujie Liu <yujie.liu@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 12:46:00PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 12:02 PM kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > tree:   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
> > > head:   02aee814d37c563e24b73bcd0f9cb608fbd403d4
> > > commit: f9b3cd24578401e7a392974b3353277286e49cee Kconfig.debug: make DEBUG_INFO selectable from a choice
> > > date:   1 year, 5 months ago
> > > config: riscv-randconfig-r001-20230808 (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/config)
> > > compiler: clang version 14.0.6 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git f28c006a5895fc0e329fe15fead81e37457cb1d1)
> >
> > FWIW, I wasn't able to reproduce with the provided config and
> > clang-17.  Perhaps this is a bug for older clang releases (the bot
> > tested with clang-14).
>
> Thanks for this info. We re-tested with various versions of clang.
> clang-14 throws this error, while clang-15/16/17 have no problem in this

Oh, interesting data point.

Ok, I've filed https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/1914 to
track this.

Will bisect llvm to find when this was fixed.

Then we will fix kconfig for the split debug info.

> case. We will consider adjusting our compiler coverage and remove the old
> clang-14.

Documentation/process/changes.rst lists our minimal support for
clang-11+.  It's still useful to have clang-14 builds.

> Best Regards,
> Yujie
>
> > > reproduce: (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230809/202308090204.9yZffBWo-lkp@intel.com/reproduce)
> > >
> > > If you fix the issue in a separate patch/commit (i.e. not just a new version of
> > > the same patch/commit), kindly add following tags
> > >
> > > All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):

> > >    fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
> > >    20 errors generated.
> > >    make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:288: arch/riscv/kernel/vdso/vgettimeofday.o] Error 1 shuffle=3686795728
> > >    make[2]: Target 'include/generated/vdso-offsets.h' not remade because of errors.
> > >    make[1]: *** [arch/riscv/Makefile:120: vdso_prepare] Error 2 shuffle=3686795728
> > >    make[1]: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.
> > >    make: *** [Makefile:219: __sub-make] Error 2 shuffle=3686795728
> > >    make: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.
> > >
> > > --
> > > 0-DAY CI Kernel Test Service
> > > https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests/wiki
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > ~Nick Desaulniers

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
@ 2023-08-16 14:39       ` Philip Li
From: Philip Li @ 2023-08-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers
  Cc: Yujie Liu, kernel test robot, Kees Cook, llvm, oe-kbuild-all,
	linux-kernel, Arnd Bergmann, Nathan Chancellor, Masahiro Yamada,

On Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 03:13:25PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 1:04 AM Yujie Liu <yujie.liu@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nick,

> > > FWIW, I wasn't able to reproduce with the provided config and
> > > clang-17.  Perhaps this is a bug for older clang releases (the bot
> > > tested with clang-14).
> >
> > Thanks for this info. We re-tested with various versions of clang.
> > clang-14 throws this error, while clang-15/16/17 have no problem in this
>
> Oh, interesting data point.
>
> Ok, I've filed https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/1914 to
> track this.
>
> Will bisect llvm to find when this was fixed.
>
> Then we will fix kconfig for the split debug info.
>
> > case. We will consider adjusting our compiler coverage and remove the old
> > clang-14.
>
> Documentation/process/changes.rst lists our minimal support for
> clang-11+.  It's still useful to have clang-14 builds.

Got it, we will keep clang-14 running, and ignore this specific
error.

@ 2023-06-06  8:04 kernel test robot
From: kernel test robot @ 2023-06-06  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers
  Cc: llvm, oe-kbuild-all, linux-kernel, Masahiro Yamada, Nathan Chancellor

tree:   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
head:   f8dba31b0a826e691949cd4fdfa5c30defaac8c5
commit: 61f2b7c7497ba96cdde5bbaeb9e07f4c48f41f97 Makefile.debug: set -g unconditional on CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_SPLIT
date:   9 months ago
config: riscv-randconfig-r026-20230606 (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230606/202306061557.A6csfwPr-lkp@intel.com/config)
compiler: clang version 14.0.6 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git f28c006a5895fc0e329fe15fead81e37457cb1d1)
reproduce (this is a W=1 build):
        mkdir -p ~/bin
        wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/intel/lkp-tests/master/sbin/make.cross -O ~/bin/make.cross
        chmod +x ~/bin/make.cross
        # install riscv cross compiling tool for clang build
        # apt-get install binutils-riscv64-linux-gnu
        # https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=61f2b7c7497ba96cdde5bbaeb9e07f4c48f41f97
        git remote add linus https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
        git fetch --no-tags linus master
        git checkout 61f2b7c7497ba96cdde5bbaeb9e07f4c48f41f97
        # save the config file
        mkdir build_dir && cp config build_dir/.config
        COMPILER_INSTALL_PATH=$HOME/0day COMPILER=clang ~/bin/make.cross W=1 O=build_dir ARCH=riscv olddefconfig
        COMPILER_INSTALL_PATH=$HOME/0day COMPILER=clang ~/bin/make.cross W=1 O=build_dir ARCH=riscv prepare

If you fix the issue, kindly add following tag where applicable
| Reported-by: kernel test robot <lkp@intel.com>
| Closes: https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/202306061557.A6csfwPr-lkp@intel.com/

All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):

>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
>> error: A dwo section may not contain relocations
   fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
   20 errors generated.
   make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:249: arch/riscv/kernel/vdso/vgettimeofday.o] Error 1 shuffle=3768112586
   make[2]: Target 'include/generated/vdso-offsets.h' not remade because of errors.
   make[1]: *** [arch/riscv/Makefile:128: vdso_prepare] Error 2 shuffle=3768112586
   make[1]: Target 'prepare' not remade because of errors.
   make: *** [Makefile:222: __sub-make] Error 2 shuffle=3768112586