* Pointers on using the extcon-adc-jack driver
@ 2019-06-12 17:59 ` George Hilliard
From: George Hilliard @ 2019-06-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MyungJoo Ham, Chanwoo Choi; +Cc: linux-kernel

I have question about using the extcon-adc-jack code, which uses an
ADC to provide an extcon device.  This is exactly what I need for my
hardware.

Currently it seems like it's set up to only be called from other C
"platform" code, although I can't find any examples of such code on
the internet at all, never mind in the kernel tree.  I am interested
in putting this driver in the device tree for my board.  Would you be
amenable to patches adding device tree support for this driver (and
maybe other related extcon drivers)?  Or have I overlooked the
"correct" way to use this module?

Thanks!
--George Hilliard

* Re: Pointers on using the extcon-adc-jack driver
@ 2019-06-21  7:11   ` Chanwoo Choi
From: Chanwoo Choi @ 2019-06-21  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hilliard, MyungJoo Ham; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi George,

On 19. 6. 13. 오전 2:59, George Hilliard wrote:
> I have question about using the extcon-adc-jack code, which uses an
> ADC to provide an extcon device.  This is exactly what I need for my
> hardware.
>
> Currently it seems like it's set up to only be called from other C
> "platform" code, although I can't find any examples of such code on
> the internet at all, never mind in the kernel tree.  I am interested
> in putting this driver in the device tree for my board.  Would you be
> amenable to patches adding device tree support for this driver (and
> maybe other related extcon drivers)?  Or have I overlooked the
> "correct" way to use this module?

Until now, extcon-adc-jack driver has not yet supported the dt-binding
on the latest mainline kernel. Actually, extcon-adc-jack has the similar
issue with extcon-gpio about dt-binding.

When I tried to do it[1] for extcon-gpio dt bidnings and someone
tried it[2] again, but, it was not finished. You can check the threads[1][2].

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/10/21/8
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/681550/

In order to support the dt-binding for extcon-adc-jack,
have to find the proper compatible name indicating the device connector
and defines the properties to get the ADC value from devicetree.

--
Best Regards,
Chanwoo Choi