* Work Ideas
@ 2014-07-23  4:47 Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-07-23  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am working for some work in the kernel. I am new to the kernel but I
am read Robert Love's
book and another book on device drivers,  so my theory is good is
prettygood other then not
being up to date on the newest features in the latest kernels. If
anyone wants to give me
something to do I don't mind what type of work . The one problem is I
don'thave a budget
for test hardware, so if hardware testing is needed someone else will
need to test for me
on the hardware that testing is needed . I am not asking for pay just
to help you guys
out more as some of my fix mes let's say wasted previous time.
Cheers Nick :)

* Re: Work Ideas
@ 2014-07-23 12:41 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2014-07-23 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Krause; +Cc: linux-kernel

Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> writes:

> I am working for some work in the kernel. I am new to the kernel but I
> am read Robert Love's
> book and another book on device drivers,  so my theory is good is
> prettygood other then not
> being up to date on the newest features in the latest kernels. If
> anyone wants to give me
> something to do I don't mind what type of work .

There are a couple of basic skills which are necessary whether your line
of work is kernel programming or lawn mowing.  One of the most important
ones is "know your own limitations". Another one is "take feedback".

I suggest you work on those for a while.  No additional hardware should
be necessary.

Bjørn

* Re: Work Ideas
@ 2014-07-23 15:17   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-07-23 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjørn Mork; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:
> Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am working for some work in the kernel. I am new to the kernel but I
>> am read Robert Love's
>> book and another book on device drivers,  so my theory is good is
>> prettygood other then not
>> being up to date on the newest features in the latest kernels. If
>> anyone wants to give me
>> something to do I don't mind what type of work .
>
> There are a couple of basic skills which are necessary whether your line
> of work is kernel programming or lawn mowing.  One of the most important
> ones is "know your own limitations". Another one is "take feedback".
>
> I suggest you work on those for a while.  No additional hardware should
> be necessary.
>

> Bjørn

Very well then I guess the community wants me to listen better to the
maintainers and
not do stupid things :).
Thanks Bjorn,
Nick