* Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10 ?
@ 2000-11-02  5:46 Wayne.Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2000-11-02  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller; +Cc: npsimons, garloff, jamagallon, linux-kernel

I've been following this kgcc discussion with interest for weeks now and there's
one thing that still puzzles me.  Everyone on both sides of the issue seems to
be saying that kgcc (AKA egcs 1.1.2) is used because the gcc versions shipped by
several vendors don't compile the kernel correctly.  What I haven't seen yet is
an explanation of why kgcc can't be used for compiling *everything* and why
another compiler even needs to be installed.  I'm using egcs-1.1.2 with the
latest kernel, binutils, modutils, etc. as well as applications like the latest
ppp and setiathome with no problems.  Instead of using two compilers, why not
stay with the older version for everything and not use the latest gcc for
anything until both the kernel and userland stuff can be compiled with it?

I'm not trying to fan the flames, just wondering why there's such an apparent
rush to upgrade to a newer gcc.  Everyone seems to be taking it for granted that
an upgrade is needed, but there's disagreement on which version to use.  Why do
we need to upgrade the compiler at all right now?

-

* Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10 ?
@ 2000-11-02 20:53 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2000-11-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J . A . Magallon, Cort Dougan, gmack, Jeff Garzik, Andrew Morton,
	Alan Cox, Gregory Maxwell, Mark Hahn
  Cc: linux-kernel

A number of people have pointed out to me that egcs-1.1.2 is weak on C++
support.  Rather than clutter up the list by replying to all of them, I've
picked this one to say "Thank you" to everyone who responded.  I'm not a C++
programmer, so I tend to forget about it and think of gcc as just a C compiler.
Now this discussion makes more sense to me.

I agree that if there is going to be a separate compiler for the kernel, the
Makefiles should be flexible enough to allow the user to plug in whatever
compiler he or she prefers to use.

Wayne

"J . A . Magallon" <jamagallon@able.es> on 11/02/2000 06:40:58 AM

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec
cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

Subject:  Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10 ?

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 06:46:04 Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:

> I've been following this kgcc discussion with interest for weeks now and
> there's
> one thing that still puzzles me.  Everyone on both sides of the issue seems to
> be saying that kgcc (AKA egcs 1.1.2) is used because the gcc versions shipped
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wrong assumption. The idea is if I need a way to set a compiler for kernel
that is not the same compiler as the system wide one. Should kernel Makefiles
use gcc (hardcoded) (and people must have a 'gcc' that works for kernel), or
let kernel use something called 'kgcc', and let user decide if in his machine
kgcc is 2.7, egcs or 2.95.2.

> by
> several vendors don't compile the kernel correctly.  What I haven't seen yet
> is
> an explanation of why kgcc can't be used for compiling *everything* and why
> another compiler even needs to be installed.

Because gcc is not only the C compiler, is the full compiler system.
The support for C++ in 2.95 has nothing to do with egcs. And 2.95 supports
java, for example.
And the libraries. The C++ standard library is much better in 2.95 that in
egcs.

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta                          mailto:jamagallon@able.es

-

-

* Re: Where did kgcc go in 2.4.0-test10 ?
@ 2000-11-01 22:57 Kurt Garloff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kurt Garloff @ 2000-11-01 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J . A . Magallon; +Cc: Linux kernel list

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:40:58PM +0100, J . A . Magallon wrote:
> I have noticed that in latest patch for 2.4.0, the global Makefile
> no more tries to find a kgcc, and falls back to gcc.
> I suppose because 2.7.2.3 is no more good for kernel, but still you
> can use 2.91, 2.95.2 or 2.96(??). Is that a patch that leaked in
> the way to test10, or is for another reason ?.

kgcc is a redhat'ism. They invented this package because their 2.96 fails
compiling a stable kernel.
However, it's not a good idea to dist specific code into the official kernel
tree.

Kurt Garloff                <kurt@garloff.de>            [Eindhoven, NL]
Physics: Plasma simulations <k.garloff@phys.tue.nl>   [TU Eindhoven, NL]
  (See mail header or public key servers for RSA and DSA public keys.)
-