* who is writing to disk
@ 2000-12-08  2:25 Zhiruo Cao
From: Zhiruo Cao @ 2000-12-08  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: zhiruo

Hello,

I found a process constantly writing to disk when I run gnome as desktop
and while the whole system is idle.  I don't find anything in the log
file, and I don't see anything updated in my home dir or in /tmp.  Does it
sound like bdflush is writing?  But I don't hear the disk access when I
am not running gnome.

My question then is, is there a (monitoring) tool that can tell me who is
writing to disk?  Or how I configure the kernel to know that?

Thanks!

Joe

-

* Re: who is writing to disk
@ 2000-12-08 13:50 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2000-12-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhiruo Cao; +Cc: linux-kernel, zhiruo

> My question then is, is there a (monitoring) tool that can tell me who is
> writing to disk?  Or how I configure the kernel to know that?

Monitoring tool - none that I know of. FInd can do a search and find all very
new files.

Most likely it's a combination of cruddy CD-ROM drives and magicdev. See
if /var/log/messages has an ever growing rant from the cdrom drive

-

* Re: who is writing to disk
@ 2000-12-10 11:45 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2000-12-10 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhiruo Cao, linux-kernel

Hi!

> I found a process constantly writing to disk when I run gnome as desktop
> and while the whole system is idle.  I don't find anything in the log
> file, and I don't see anything updated in my home dir or in /tmp.  Does it
> sound like bdflush is writing?  But I don't hear the disk access when I
> am not running gnome.
>
> My question then is, is there a (monitoring) tool that can tell me who is
> writing to disk?  Or how I configure the kernel to know that?

Access time updates? Try mounting with noatime.
								Pavel

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss@linmodems.org

* Re: who is writing to disk
@ 2000-12-08  8:29 richardj_moore
From: richardj_moore @ 2000-12-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

One option, if there's no bespoke mechanism is to use DPorbes and or Linux
Trace Toolkit to set up a trace of file system apis. You could also start
with strace.

Richard Moore -  RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd,  MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

Zhiruo Cao <zhiruo@cc.gatech.edu> on 08/12/2000 02:25:03

Please respond to Zhiruo Cao <zhiruo@cc.gatech.edu>

To:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
cc:   zhiruo@cc.gatech.edu