* Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD Writing!!!!
       [not found] <E14o3J0-0002q2-00@the-village.bc.nu>
@ 2001-04-13 23:20 ` Matthew Grant
From: Matthew Grant @ 2001-04-13 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Very glad to see that the SYMBIOS driver changes in 2.4.3-ac5 has solved all
of my SCSI woes...

> > Running LVM 0.9.1beta7 (kernel patch) with Reiserfs v2, + Reiserfs VFS patch
> > (this works!!!! - go put it in Alan!!! - its in the LVM tar ball).
>
> LVM - no. The LVM patch is a disgusting pile of crud right now

Their patch generation is CRAP!@#$!@#%#, but I find that LVM 0.9.1beta2 in the
kernel is more broken than beta7  version, a lot of lvm operations in the
kernel version DON'T WORK!!!

What are the problems????

Just had a quick looksee at their patch - you should be able to get a better
diff by applying their patch to a kernel tree and then doing a diff -w to
regenerate it...  ???

The VFS stuff they have done - seemed like a small change to me, and it is a
seperate patch.

Reiserfs quota support should be added to the kernel if it is simple also.
Reiserfs knfsd functionality looks like a real nightmare, and if people want
to NFS share a reiserfs file system, for the moment they can just go and use
the old Userspace NFS server...

Distributions are all going to be pushing for this, they will all want to use
reiserfs on LVM and RAID sub-systems with quota support.  The kernel NEEDS to
have reiserfs better intergrated into its subsystems.  We have to get it all
cleaned up and get it out there.  If you are iffy about one of these features,
put it in as an (EXPERIMENTAL) configuration item - We need to get them out
there rather than having a lot of different ongoing backroom operations to add
the functionality.

Best Regards,

Matthew Grant
Matthew Grant	     /\	 ^/\^	grantma@anathoth.gen.nz  It's/~~~~\Plain where
A Linux Network Guy /~~\^/~~\_/~~~~~\_______/~~~~~~~~~~\____/******\I come from

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 241 bytes --]

* Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD Writing!!!!
@ 2001-04-13 23:28   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-04-13 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Grant; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> kernel is more broken than beta7  version, a lot of lvm operations in the
> kernel version DON'T WORK!!!

beta7 is also broken

> What are the problems????

Disgusting stuff like using the low 2bits of an address as flags.

> Reiserfs quota support should be added to the kernel if it is simple also.

its not worth doing. Thats based on the current, racey, broken quota code
not the -ac quota code we need

> there rather than having a lot of different ongoing backroom operations to add
> the functionality.

For the base kernel they need to work properly. Vendors may be less picky.

* Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD Writing!!!!
@ 2001-04-13 23:37     ` Matthew Grant
From: Matthew Grant @ 2001-04-13 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Matthew Grant, linux-kernel

Dear All!!

A core kernel developer  NEEDS to get these features straightened out properly
in a clean fashion.  People WANT reiserfs integrated and working with LVM and
RAID,  with good quota support.  These are 'Enterpise' level features.

It does not look like that much work is needed to fix the stuff the base kernel
and get better integration of these features.  The rough edges on them make us
look like a bunch of amatuers.

Alan, will you look into it as a project???

Best Regards,

Matthew Grant

@ 2001-04-13 23:44       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-04-13 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Grant; +Cc: Alan Cox, Matthew Grant, linux-kernel

> A core kernel developer  NEEDS to get these features straightened out properly
> in a clean fashion.  People WANT reiserfs integrated and working with LVM and

Note _clean_

> It does not look like that much work is needed to fix the stuff the base kernel
> and get better integration of these features.  The rough edges on them make us
> look like a bunch of amatuers.

Lots of work needs doing. The entire quota code needs rewriting and that won't
happen until 2.5. The reiser+nfs stuff is probably also 2.5

> Alan, will you look into it as a project???

Not interested. Now is stabilizing time, not stuffing crap into the kernel tree
time. Vendors can (and will) ship stuff which is workable but not clean, and
they will hopefully over time fix up the stuff they care about and submit it.

Alan

* Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD Writing!!!!
@ 2001-04-14  0:02         ` Matthew Grant
From: Matthew Grant @ 2001-04-14  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Matthew Grant, linux-kernel

> > A core kernel developer  NEEDS to get these features straightened out properly
> > in a clean fashion.  People WANT reiserfs integrated and working with LVM and
>
> Note _clean_

I agree completely.

> > It does not look like that much work is needed to fix the stuff the base kernel
> > and get better integration of these features.  The rough edges on them make us
> > look like a bunch of amatuers.
>
> Lots of work needs doing. The entire quota code needs rewriting and that won't
> happen until 2.5. The reiser+nfs stuff is probably also 2.5

Sounds like we need a 2.6 fairly soon after a 2.5 rather than going on a
complete development voyage around the world every 18 months...

Linus,

Can't we have a controlled  development tree branch for 2-3 months just to get
the ReiserFS/LVM/quota/knfsd integration done _cleanly_ (this has significant
short-term  benefits NOW), with the brakes on all other changes, and another
development tree where everyone goes wild with NUMA/Networking et al., where
the changes from the other get merged???

> > Alan, will you look into it as a project???
>
> Not interested. Now is stabilizing time, not stuffing crap into the kernel tree
> time. Vendors can (and will) ship stuff which is workable but not clean, and
> they will hopefully over time fix up the stuff they care about and submit it.

Any takers to look at re-bending the current LVM fixes, + the reiserFS
snapshot stuff???.  From what I can gather people will ALWAYS be applying the
pathes for this to the stock kernel source.

> Alan

Matthew Grant	     /\	 ^/\^	grantma@anathoth.gen.nz  It's/~~~~\Plain where
A Linux Network Guy /~~\^/~~\_/~~~~~\_______/~~~~~~~~~~\____/******\I come from

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 241 bytes --]

* 2.5 and beyond (was Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD  Writing!!!!)
@ 2001-04-14  0:08           ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-04-14  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Grant; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

Matthew Grant wrote:
> Linus,
>
> Can't we have a controlled  development tree branch for 2-3 months just to get
> the ReiserFS/LVM/quota/knfsd integration done _cleanly_ (this has significant
> short-term  benefits NOW), with the brakes on all other changes, and another
> development tree where everyone goes wild with NUMA/Networking et al., where
> the changes from the other get merged???

We have -got- to get 2.4 stable and sane first.  It's a psychological
thing, but if Linus opens 2.5 now, people will ignore the existing 2.4
problems that need attention.

If LVM et. al. is fundamentally broken in 2.4, then mark it experimental
and support it via external patches.  That's the way these things are
always dealt it, when you need a feature set beyond the existing stable
kernel.

Patience, grasshopper :)

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik       | Sam: "Mind if I drive?"
Building 1024     | Max: "Not if you don't mind me clawing at the dash