* scheduling in kmalloc()
@ 2001-07-06 11:57 Vasu Varma P V
From: Vasu Varma P V @ 2001-07-06 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel Linux

if we use any thing other than GFP_ATOMIC, does it result in scheduling
out the process if there is no memory available?
with GFP_KERNRL, I think we try freeing pages to service the current
request.
or is there any possibility of kmalloc() failing even with GFP_KERNEL?

thx,
Vasu.

* Re: scheduling in kmalloc()
@ 2001-07-06 15:03 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-07-06 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasu Varma P V; +Cc: kernel Linux

> if we use any thing other than GFP_ATOMIC, does it result in scheduling
> out the process if there is no memory available?
> with GFP_KERNRL, I think we try freeing pages to service the current
> request.
> or is there any possibility of kmalloc() failing even with GFP_KERNEL?

kmalloc can always fail, looping on a kmalloc at high level can almost always
cause deadlocks so you need to be prepared to fail