* Re: 2.4.8/2.4.8-ac7 sound crashes
@ 2001-08-20 15:27 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2001-08-20 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justin; +Cc: green, linux-kernel

> > >   Can you publish decoded oops?
> > >   And can you try 2.4.9 first to check it exhibits >same behaviour?
> >
> >     1. quite impossible due to the fact of exceedingly
> > high rate at which this trace is running:
> >   30 rows/second approx, and the impossibility to
> >   switch consoles/use gpm for cut/paste...
> Try pressing the scroll lock key.

_maybe_ i can, but i think the value of the infinite
call trace can be argued, besides it will be quite hard
to realise... :)
i say maybe, because when this shit happens, alt+sysrq
combo doesnt seem to work, so it hardly can be that
scrolllock works. as i said console switching is dead
too, so i doubt other console-controlling keys will do.

-------
cheers,

   Samium Gromoff

* Re: 2.4.8/2.4.8-ac7 sound crashes
@ 2001-08-21 13:17 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2001-08-21 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> no problems like this for me.
> GCC 2.95.3, SB16 "Value" (don't ask me why they named > it that, it's just
> like a regular SB16 ISA as far as I can tell), > vanilla 2.4.8, mpg123 is
> version 0.59r, says june 15th 1999, I'll see if there's a newer version.
> I also use XMMS and it works fine.
>
> What motherboard are you using? is the SB16 PCI or ISA? if it's ISA do
> you have persistant DMA buffers enabled in the kernel? (not sure if that
> would cause this or not)

  ISA Creative SB16/ Zida 5DVX/ NO persistant DMA buffers.
But i think its all unrelated, due to the fact, that
2.4.7 is okay for me since it came out...

---

cheers,

   Samium Gromoff

* Re: 2.4.8/2.4.8-ac7 sound crashes
@ 2001-08-20 14:49 ` Justin A
From: Justin A @ 2001-08-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samium Gromoff; +Cc: green, linux-kernel

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 06:28:15PM +0400, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> >   Can you publish decoded oops?
> >   And can you try 2.4.9 first to check it exhibits >same behaviour?
>
>     1. quite impossible due to the fact of exceedingly
> high rate at which this trace is running:
>   30 rows/second approx, and the impossibility to
>   switch consoles/use gpm for cut/paste...
Try pressing the scroll lock key.

-Justin

* Re: 2.4.8/2.4.8-ac7 sound crashes
@ 2001-08-20 14:32 ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2001-08-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samium Gromoff; +Cc: green, linux-kernel

Hello!

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 06:28:15PM +0400, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> >   Can you publish decoded oops?
> >   And can you try 2.4.9 first to check it exhibits >same behaviour?
>     1. quite impossible due to the fact of exceedingly
> high rate at which this trace is running:
>   30 rows/second approx, and the impossibility to
>   switch consoles/use gpm for cut/paste...
I can recommend you to use some kind of serial parallel console.
(I can even borrow you one if you are in Moscow)

>     2. i will, but results - tomorrow (GMT+3), since i`ll leave
>   2.4.9 compilation to night (i tried twice, but failed
>   because of infamous compile errors of ntfs and irda).
Leave out ntfs and irda this time, or apply patches that were already published.

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: 2.4.8/2.4.8-ac7 sound crashes
@ 2001-08-20 14:28 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2001-08-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: green; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-08-20 13:40 ` Nicholas Knight
From: Nicholas Knight @ 2001-08-20 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samium Gromoff, linux-kernel

On Monday 20 August 2001 02:48 am, Samium Gromoff wrote:
>         I do not know if this problem is reported already,
>     since i read lkml thru web-archive, with accompanying
> update delays.
>
>     2.4.8 dies after ~1/2 minute of mpg123 playback,
>     with tty switching freeze, and typing out
>     continuously (i`d say infinitely) call trace.
>
>         ac7 acts this way too, but before death
>     sound stalls *some* times, i then each time restart
>     the proggie which emits it. This pattern survives
>     4-5 stalls, after which - final trace dump.
>
>     gcc-2.95.3, sb16 - genuine, vanilla ac7, vanilla
>     2.4.8.

no problems like this for me.
GCC 2.95.3, SB16 "Value" (don't ask me why they named it that, it's just
like a regular SB16 ISA as far as I can tell), vanilla 2.4.8, mpg123 is
version 0.59r, says june 15th 1999, I'll see if there's a newer version.
I also use XMMS and it works fine.

What motherboard are you using? is the SB16 PCI or ISA? if it's ISA do
you have persistant DMA buffers enabled in the kernel? (not sure if that
would cause this or not)

* 2.4.8/2.4.8-ac7 sound crashes
@ 2001-08-20  9:48 Samium Gromoff
From: Samium Gromoff @ 2001-08-20  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

        I do not know if this problem is reported already,
    since i read lkml thru web-archive, with accompanying
update delays.

    2.4.8 dies after ~1/2 minute of mpg123 playback,
    with tty switching freeze, and typing out
    continuously (i`d say infinitely) call trace.

        ac7 acts this way too, but before death
    sound stalls *some* times, i then each time restart
    the proggie which emits it. This pattern survives
    4-5 stalls, after which - final trace dump.

    gcc-2.95.3, sb16 - genuine, vanilla ac7, vanilla
    2.4.8.

    further information upon request.

---

cheers,