* Having problems with 2.4.9-ac
@ 2001-08-30 12:06 Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2001-08-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel; +Cc: Alan Cox

I have reported having problems shuting down and rebooting my SMP
machine before.  Before the 2.4.8/9 series or ac kernels the last kernel
which could correctly reboot or shut down my machine had been
2.4.6-ac2.  I was very surprised when 2.4.8-ac10 was actually able to do
so as well.  If I issued any of the various commands to shut the box
down it would correctly get to the "Shutting down the machine" or
similar message and then issue Power Down and the box would go down,
also it would correctly get to the "Please wait while the machine
reboots..." and then would reboot.  Since 2.4.8-ac10 I have tried
2.4.8-ac12 as well as 2.4.9-ac1 and 2.4.9-ac3 none of which can
correctly reboot or shut down anymore.  What might the problem be?  I
don't want to go back to 2.4.8-ac10 if at all possible, 2.4.9-ac3 is one
of if not the most stable 2.4 kernel I have run in a long time.  Thank
you for whatever help you can give, let me know if I can provide more
data.

Jordan Breeding

* Re: Having problems with 2.4.9-ac
@ 2001-08-30 12:16 ` Peter T. Breuer
From: Peter T. Breuer @ 2001-08-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan, Jordan Breeding; +Cc: linux kernel

"A month of sundays ago Jordan Breeding wrote:"
> I have reported having problems shuting down and rebooting my SMP
> machine before.  Before the 2.4.8/9 series or ac kernels the last kernel

ditto.

> correctly reboot or shut down anymore.  What might the problem be?  I
> don't want to go back to 2.4.8-ac10 if at all possible, 2.4.9-ac3 is one
> of if not the most stable 2.4 kernel I have run in a long time.  Thank

Does anyone have the patch diff from 8-ac10 to 8-ac11 in the apm area?
This sounds very hopeful for tracking down the problem .. if it's not
just timing.

Peter

* Re: Having problems with 2.4.9-ac
@ 2001-08-30 12:19   ` Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2001-08-30 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptb; +Cc: Jordan, linux kernel

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> "A month of sundays ago Jordan Breeding wrote:"
> > I have reported having problems shuting down and rebooting my SMP
> > machine before.  Before the 2.4.8/9 series or ac kernels the last kernel
>
> ditto.
>
> > correctly reboot or shut down anymore.  What might the problem be?  I
> > don't want to go back to 2.4.8-ac10 if at all possible, 2.4.9-ac3 is one
> > of if not the most stable 2.4 kernel I have run in a long time.  Thank
>
> Does anyone have the patch diff from 8-ac10 to 8-ac11 in the apm area?
> This sounds very hopeful for tracking down the problem .. if it's not
> just timing.
>
> Peter

I don't think that it has anything to do with APM specifically.  On the
kernel which it doesn't work on I can use nothing, ACPI, or APM (with
smp power-off set to on).  On the kernel revisions for which it works I
normally just use ACPI.  I don't like to use APM since it isn't smp
clean completely and I only use ACPI for power-off and reboot options so
I normally just stick with that.  I guess it could be APM which is
broken but then why would ACPI not work for simple rebooting and
shutting down all the time?

Jordan

* Re: Having problems with 2.4.9-ac
@ 2001-08-30 12:19 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-30 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ledzep37; +Cc: Linux Kernel, Alan Cox

> 2.4.6-ac2.  I was very surprised when 2.4.8-ac10 was actually able to do
> so as well.  If I issued any of the various commands to shut the box

Unfortunately "so am I" since I don't understand what would be relevant as
a change affecting this

* Re: Having problems with 2.4.9-ac
@ 2001-08-30 12:51   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-30 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ptb; +Cc: Jordan, Jordan Breeding, linux kernel

> Does anyone have the patch diff from 8-ac10 to 8-ac11 in the apm area?
> This sounds very hopeful for tracking down the problem .. if it's not
> just timing.

Basically there are no changes in that are - there is a pnpbios change but
it should be unrelated