* dnotify for kernel 2.2
@ 2002-03-05 18:45 Brian S Queen
From: Brian S Queen @ 2002-03-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have been going through the trouble of adding dnotify to our 2.2
kernel because we don't want to switch to 2.4 yet. I wonder:

How many folks are interested in dnotify for 2.2?

Is it a really bad idea?

Is imon really dead?

Brian McQueen
NAS Division
NASA/Ames

* Re: dnotify for kernel 2.2
@ 2002-03-05 18:57 ` arjan
From: arjan @ 2002-03-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian S Queen; +Cc: linux-kernel

In article <200203051845.KAA16326@marcy.nas.nasa.gov> you wrote:
> I have been going through the trouble of adding dnotify to our 2.2
> kernel because we don't want to switch to 2.4 yet. I wonder:
>
> How many folks are interested in dnotify for 2.2?
>
> Is it a really bad idea?

Does the 2.4 version actually work ?

* Re: dnotify for kernel 2.2
@ 2002-03-05 22:27   ` Mike Fedyk
From: Mike Fedyk @ 2002-03-05 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arjan; +Cc: Brian S Queen, linux-kernel

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 06:57:47PM +0000, arjan@fenrus.demon.nl wrote:
> In article <200203051845.KAA16326@marcy.nas.nasa.gov> you wrote:
> > I have been going through the trouble of adding dnotify to our 2.2
> > kernel because we don't want to switch to 2.4 yet. I wonder:
> >
> > How many folks are interested in dnotify for 2.2?
> >
> > Is it a really bad idea?
>
> Does the 2.4 version actually work ?

Isn't samba supposed to use that?

* Re: dnotify for kernel 2.2
@ 2002-03-06  1:17 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-03-06  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian S Queen; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I have been going through the trouble of adding dnotify to our 2.2
> kernel because we don't want to switch to 2.4 yet. I wonder:

For the base kernel its non interesting but if it serves your purposes
and the work gets done thats what free software is all about

* Re: dnotify for kernel 2.2
@ 2002-03-06  1:36   ` Ryan Cumming
From: Ryan Cumming @ 2002-03-06  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arjan, Brian S Queen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On March 5, 2002 10:57, arjan@fenrus.demon.nl wrote:
> Does the 2.4 version actually work ?

If you have KDE installed:

1) Open a file manager window
2) From a console, 'touch foo'
3) Watch 'foo' appear in the file manager window
4) From a console, 'rm foo'
5) Watch 'foo' disppear again

Unless you have FAM running, that's dnotify at work.

-Ryan