* Kernel 2.4.x and gcc version
@ 2002-04-16 11:25 Yannis Mitsos
From: Yannis Mitsos @ 2002-04-16 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I am a member of a small team which is trying to port Linux to
Infineon's TriCore processor.
The gcc version that is available for the aforementioned processor is 2.8.1.
On the other hand the aforementioned processor does not embed a MMU, so
we are using the uClinux patch with the 2.4.x kernel.

I am wondering if with the 2.8.1 version we will be able to obtain a
reliable 2.4.x kernel. According to the /Documentation/Changes file the
gcc 2.95.3 is required...

Between the gcc version 2.8.1 and the 2.95.3 some extra flags and
options have been added, but are all these requisite for ALL the
processors ???

Regards

Yannis Mitsos

* Re: Kernel 2.4.x and gcc version
@ 2002-04-16 11:49 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-04-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yannis Mitsos; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I am wondering if with the 2.8.1 version we will be able to obtain a
> reliable 2.4.x kernel. According to the /Documentation/Changes file the
> gcc 2.95.3 is required...

gcc 2.95.3 is the one that is minimal for the x86 processor core. How it
behaves with other platforms is going to vary. Many of the problems with
the older compiler where with register allocation, which is a very big x86
problem but much less of an issue on other compilers

> Between the gcc version 2.8.1 and the 2.95.3 some extra flags and
> options have been added, but are all these requisite for ALL the
> processors ???

On the whole probably not.

Alan