* A cosmetic but useful change on soundcard.h
@ 2002-05-20 13:25 DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2002-05-20 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-kernel

    Hello all :)

    I've seen that the device names and device labels for the mixer
on soundcard.h are somewhat incongruent. It seems that the first
labels and names length is 5 characters, even padding shorter ones
with spaces, but newly added labels are longer than that.

    Would be possible (I can make the patch, is *very* easy) to pad
*all* labels and names so all them are of the same size? Moreover,
adding a #define with that size would help a lot user-space apps like
mixers and the like. Simply using '80' as the size doesn't help, and
I've seen a couple of mixer doing this...

    How about it?

    Raúl

* Re: A cosmetic but useful change on soundcard.h
@ 2002-05-20 14:32 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-05-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raul; +Cc: Linux-kernel

>     Would be possible (I can make the patch, is *very* easy) to pad
> *all* labels and names so all them are of the same size? Moreover,
> adding a #define with that size would help a lot user-space apps like
> mixers and the like. Simply using '80' as the size doesn't help, and
> I've seen a couple of mixer doing this...

I wouldnt worry about it - its best 2.4 keeps current behaviour. For 2.5
ALSA replaces OSS. If ALSA has the same stuff then fix ALSA