* Re:  [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2
@ 2002-10-04 11:58 Tim Tassonis
From: Tim Tassonis @ 2002-10-04 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drepper; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Ulrich

>   + gcc either from the current development branch or the gcc 3.2
>     from Red Hat Linux 8;
>
>   + binutils preferrably from CVS, from H.J. Lu's latest release for
>     Linux, or from RHL 8.

Why don't you call the library rptl and rename glibc to rlibc?

Bye
Tim

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2
@ 2002-10-09  9:32   ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2002-10-09  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, J.A. Magallon wrote:

> Problem is kernel 2.5. Too 'risky'. I would like to ask again: could you
> state what new kernel features are needed (futexes, cpu-affinity
> syscalls, signalling changes...). Perhaps people can use 2.4 -ac or -aa
> trees (if for example nptl only needs futexes).

too many to list, really. It's more than 60 separate patches that went
into 2.5 in the past 2 months that implement all the necessery
infrastructure for NPTL-style 1:1 threading. Futexes had to be fixed too,
so it's not like you could use the existing 2.4 futex patch for NPTL. I'll
attempt a 2.4 backport of all the threading bits within the next couple of
weeks, but it's not a matter of a couple of hours ...

but, 2.5 isnt all that bad these days, and Arjan is currently working on
2.5 kernel rpms, to make it even easier to try out. (it will be announced
to phil-list once he's done.)

	Ingo

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2
@ 2002-10-04 15:10 ` J.A. Magallon
From: J.A. Magallon @ 2002-10-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 2002.10.04 Ulrich Drepper wrote:

>Now that the Linux kernel is once again able to run all the tests we
>have and since glibc 2.3 was released it was time for a new code drop.
>I've uploaded the second code drop for the Native POSIX Thread
>Library:
>
>  ftp://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl/nptl-0.2.tar.bz2

Fine !!

>You need

This is the hard part...

>- - the latest of Linus' kernel from BitKeeper (or 2.5.41 when it
>  is released);

Mmmm...

>- - glibc 2.3

Easy. I suppose it is binary compatible with 2.2.5.

>- - the very latest in tools such as
>
>  + gcc either from the current development branch or the gcc 3.2
>    from Red Hat Linux 8;

OK in my cooker.

>  + binutils preferrably from CVS, from H.J. Lu's latest release for
>    Linux, or from RHL 8.

Done.

Well, so you need:
- new binutils, easy to do.
- new gcc, already in Mandrake and RedHat (?? about SuSE and others)
- new glibc, probably the first update when Cooker and RawHide are
  unfrozen again. And it is a final release.

Problem is kernel 2.5. Too 'risky'.
I would like to ask again: could you state what new kernel features are
needed (futexes, cpu-affinity syscalls, signalling changes...).
Perhaps people can use 2.4 -ac or -aa trees (if for example nptl only
needs futexes).

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@able.es>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2
@ 2002-10-04 12:17   ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2002-10-04 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Ulrich Drepper, linux-kernel

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 05:19:43AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> > You need
> [...]
> > - - the very latest in tools such as
> >
> >   + gcc either from the current development branch or the gcc 3.2
> >     from Red Hat Linux 8;
> >
> >   + binutils preferrably from CVS, from H.J. Lu's latest release for
> >     Linux, or from RHL 8.
>
> or from Mandrake 9.0...

Actually, even RHL 8.0 and Mdk 9.0 binutils are too old, there
were important TLS bugfixes since then.
So either you need latest H.J. Lu's test release:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/test/binutils-2.13.90.0.6.tar.bz2
or my binutils rpms which have these patches backported:
ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/binutils/2.13.90.0.4-1/

	Jakub

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2
@ 2002-10-04  9:19 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2002-10-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Drepper; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> You need
[...]
> - - the very latest in tools such as
>
>   + gcc either from the current development branch or the gcc 3.2
>     from Red Hat Linux 8;
>
>   + binutils preferrably from CVS, from H.J. Lu's latest release for
>     Linux, or from RHL 8.

or from Mandrake 9.0...

* [ANNOUNCE] nptl 0.2
@ 2002-10-04  8:30 Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 2002-10-04  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Now that the Linux kernel is once again able to run all the tests we
have and since glibc 2.3 was released it was time for a new code drop.
I've uploaded the second code drop for the Native POSIX Thread
Library:

  ftp://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl/nptl-0.2.tar.bz2

You need

- - the latest of Linus' kernel from BitKeeper (or 2.5.41 when it
  is released);

- - glibc 2.3

- - the very latest in tools such as

  + gcc either from the current development branch or the gcc 3.2
    from Red Hat Linux 8;

  + binutils preferrably from CVS, from H.J. Lu's latest release for
    Linux, or from RHL 8.

Compiling glibc should proceed smoothly.  But there are a number of
tests which fail, mostly because some functionality is missing in
glibc.  Ignore those errors.  It is only important that all tests in
nptl/ are passing.  Run

  make subdirs=nptl check

to run all thread tests.

This version features several improvements:

- - all APIs are now implemented;

- - fork handling has been improved; stacks in the child are freed;
  atfork handlers are removed if they were registered from a module
  which gets unloaded.

- - pthread_tryjoin_np and pthread_timedjoin_np are implemented

- - TSD handling corrected and optimized.

- - many more tests which also test the underlying kernel implementation.

- - the build infrastructure has been implemented so that the DSO and
  archives are built in usable form and with correct named.

- - libthread_db has been implemented.  This is the library which is
  needed by all program which need to get access to internals of
  libpthread (mainly debuggers).

- - the CPU clock functions are implemented

The white paper hasn't yet been updated.  It's still available at

  http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf

This release should be ready for some serious testing.  I know it is
hard to compile which I why I'm looking into providing binary RPMs.
They can be used on non-critical systems.  I'll only be able to
provide binaries for RHL8 based systems, though, and the kernel still
must be installed separately.

The next steps will include:

- - write more tests and fix the bugs which are discovered this way

- - update the white paper

- - write and run more performance tests

- - port to IA-64

Interested parties are once again invited to join the mailing we
created:

  phil-list@redhat.com

Go to

to subscribe, unsubscribe, or review the archive.

- --