* inconsistant use of pid_t and patches
@ 2003-05-02 20:03 Walter Harms
From: Walter Harms @ 2003-05-02 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: danielebellucci

hi list,
we noticed that kernel_thread() returned diffent types. A quick
"grep -r kernel_thread() arch " will show pid_t, long and int
(for 2.4.20). So we started to clean up.
Everyone interessted can download the patches for 2.4.20 from
www.getenv.de/~walter
contact:
danielebellucci@libero.it

These are several patches. i dont want to bomb the ML so
no attachment to this mail.

As a first step we cleaned the definition in several architectures.
The changes are small as possible. Some architectures use pure asm
no understanding  -> no changes

The following architectures have changed:
sh i386 mips mips64 s390x s390 ia64 m68k
changes occur in:
arch/<ARCH>/kernel/process.c
< change return type kernel_thread() to  pid_t kernel_thread() >

include/asm-<ARCH>/processor.h
< add linux/types.h for pid_t >
< definiton change return type kernel_thread() to  pid_t kernel_thread() >

additionaly we started to clean the kernel

rch/i386/kernel/ptrace.c:
changed type of sys_ptrace pid argument from to pid_t (original: long)

include/linux/fs.h:
changed type of pid member of struct fown_struct to pid_t (original: int)

fs/proc/base.c:
change type of pid variable in proc_pid_lookup to pid_t (original: unsigned int) [See Above]

include/linux/sched.h:
change type of find_task_by_pid argument (pid) from to pid_t (original: int)

kernel/capability.c:
in sys_capget: change type of pid variable to pid_t (original: int)
in sys_capset: change type of pid variable to pid_t (original: int)

kernel/signal.c:
in sys_tkill: changed type of pid argument to pid_t (original: int)

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-05-02 19:50 UTC | newest]