* page size bigger than 4 KB for ext2
@ 2003-03-26 23:24 Jordi Ros
From: Jordi Ros @ 2003-03-26 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

I am trying to bring up a hard drive formated to 8KB page size using ext2. It seems that i may need to recompile the kernel, as default PAGE_SIZE is 4KB. I have 2 questions:

1) What is the procedure to build a kernel that can support hard drives formatted to 8KB ext2?
2) What is the procedure to format a hard drive to 8KB ext2?

Thank you so much,

Jordi

* Re: page size bigger than 4 KB for ext2
@ 2003-03-27  9:11 ` Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2003-03-27  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordi Ros; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jordi Ros wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to bring up a hard drive formated to 8KB page size using ext2.
 > It seems that i may need to recompile the kernel, as default
PAGE_SIZE is 4KB. I have 2 questions:

> 1) What is the procedure to build a kernel that can support hard drives formatted to 8KB ext2?
Build it for one of those architectures that actually have 8k pages, and
run on that sort of machine.  Nobody has made a 8k page linux
for i386 or other 4k-page architectures.  It is possible, but a lot
of work because the cpu don't support it.

> 2) What is the procedure to format a hard drive to 8KB ext2?
 From man mke2fs:
mke2fs -b 8192 /dev/disc...

Of course you won't be able to mount it on a machine with 4k pages.

Helge Hafting

* Re: page size bigger than 4 KB for ext2
@ 2003-03-27  9:27 ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2003-03-27  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordi Ros; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:24:23PM -0800, Jordi Ros wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to bring up a hard drive formated to 8KB page size using
> ext2. It seems that i may need to recompile the kernel, as default
> PAGE_SIZE is 4KB. I have 2 questions:

  The last time I looked at it, it should not be possible to have EXT2
  filesystem formatted with FILESYSTEM BLOCK SIZE of 8k.  Primary reason
  for this is that i386 machines have page size of 4k, and system has
  been kept limited to that for ease of memory reference handling, and
  to keep filesystems compatible in between machines, lowest limits
  have been taken into use.

  Notable thing is, that in BSD world the UFS (close relative of EXT2)
  can support FILESYSTEM block sizes of at least up to 64k.
  Referring to a bit of data within such blocks is a lot more
  convoluted, than it is in current incarnation of EXT2.

> 1) What is the procedure to build a kernel that can support hard drives
>    formatted to 8KB ext2?

  You might need changes in block-layer, not (only) in filesystems.
  The PHYSICAL BLOCK SIZE of 8k will need reading and writing the
  disk in that size of chunks, which means in i386 type machines
  two memory pages, preferrably contiguous. Some limits from
  device drivers (like DMA must not go over 64k boundary) might
  also assert themselves.

> 2) What is the procedure to format a hard drive to 8KB ext2?

  Presently it can not be done.

> Thank you so much,
> Jordi

/Matti Aarnio

* Re: page size bigger than 4 KB for ext2
@ 2003-03-27  9:32   ` David Lang
From: David Lang @ 2003-03-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matti Aarnio; +Cc: Jordi Ros, linux-kernel

in the past I have attempted to format ext2 filesystems with larger the 4K
blocksizes on x86 systems, I had no problem doing so except that I could
not use the resulting filesystem as my root.  I didn't test it very
extensivly before shrugging and going with 4K blocksizes, but the process
of building systems didn't spot any problems with it. they never went into
production this way so I can't comment on long term stability either (on
those systems I was only useing a single partition so since I couldn't
boot to it I just reformatted it)

David Lang