* Did kernel 3.11 never work?
@ 2018-03-23 14:37 Maurice R Volaski
From: Maurice R Volaski @ 2018-03-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am trying to use kernel 3.11 on VirtualBox or VMWare, but it hangs at boot right after the message “Booting the kernel”. Under VMWare, VMWare gives a message that it received an instruction to halt the CPU.

I have tried different editions of 3.11 and they all are affected the same way. Does anyone know why this and a way to fix it?

* Re: Did kernel 3.11 never work?
@ 2018-03-23 14:54 ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2018-03-23 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurice R Volaski; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 02:37:17PM +0000, Maurice R Volaski wrote:
> I am trying to use kernel 3.11 on VirtualBox or VMWare, but it hangs at boot
> right after the message "Booting the kernel". Under VMWare, VMWare gives a
> message that it received an instruction to halt the CPU.
>
> I have tried different editions of 3.11 and they all are affected the same
> way. Does anyone know why this and a way to fix it?

Not that many memories about this one, but why would anyone try to
figure what was wrong on a kernel that's been dead for 4 years now
and after which thousands of bugs have been fixed, possibly the one
that affects you ?

Willy

* Re: Did kernel 3.11 never work?
@ 2018-03-23 14:58   ` Maurice R Volaski
From: Maurice R Volaski @ 2018-03-23 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Tarreau; +Cc: linux-kernel

I'm trying to build a computer with network diagnostic tool, https://software.internet2.edu/ndt/ and it requires patches to the kernel, https://www.web10g.org/. The latest kernel for which there are patches, 3.17, doesn't compile with the patches, so I had to progressively retrogress until I can found one that did.

@ 2018-03-23 15:19     ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2018-03-23 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurice R Volaski; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 02:58:46PM +0000, Maurice R Volaski wrote:
> I'm trying to build a computer with network diagnostic tool,
> https://software.internet2.edu/ndt/ and it requires patches to the kernel,
> https://www.web10g.org/. The latest kernel for which there are patches, 3.17,
> doesn't compile with the patches, so I had to progressively retrogress until
> I can found one that did.

In my opinion you'd waste much less time trying to port these patches to
a more recent, still maintained kernel. 3.16 is still maintained by Ben,
and not too far from 3.17 (less than 3.11). You may have more luck there
and also more luck to get it to boot on a recent machine.

Also on web10g I'm seeing patches for kernels 3.2 to 3.4. 3.2 is also
still maintained by Ben. You can try this one, maybe it'll work, who
knows.

Willy

* Re: Did kernel 3.11 never work?
@ 2018-03-23 15:50       ` Gabriel C
From: Gabriel C @ 2018-03-23 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Tarreau; +Cc: Maurice R Volaski, linux-kernel

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 02:58:46PM +0000, Maurice R Volaski wrote:
>> I'm trying to build a computer with network diagnostic tool,
>> https://software.internet2.edu/ndt/ and it requires patches to the kernel,
>> https://www.web10g.org/. The latest kernel for which there are patches, 3.17,
>> doesn't compile with the patches, so I had to progressively retrogress until
>> I can found one that did.
>
> In my opinion you'd waste much less time trying to port these patches to
> a more recent, still maintained kernel. 3.16 is still maintained by Ben,
> and not too far from 3.17 (less than 3.11). You may have more luck there
> and also more luck to get it to boot on a recent machine.
>
> Also on web10g I'm seeing patches for kernels 3.2 to 3.4. 3.2 is also
> still maintained by Ben. You can try this one, maybe it'll work, who
> knows.

I don't really remeber  but some  TCP_ESTATS_* exists in 4.x kernels.
So some based-on or these patches got somewho merged.
Also some work  is still done from Chris Rapier on github.

Maybe have a look there ?
https://github.com/rapier1

Regards,

Gabriel C

* Re: Did kernel 3.11 never work?
@ 2018-03-23 16:07         ` Gabriel C
From: Gabriel C @ 2018-03-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Tarreau; +Cc: Maurice R Volaski, linux-kernel

> Maybe have a look there ?
> https://github.com/rapier1

Latest kernel there is an 4.10
https://github.com/rapier1/web10g/releases/tag/kis-0.12-4.10

* Re: Did kernel 3.11 never work?
@ 2018-03-23 19:33           ` Maurice R Volaski
From: Maurice R Volaski @ 2018-03-23 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel C, Willy Tarreau; +Cc: linux-kernel

Oh, cool. Thank you. I would have never found this.

From: Pavel Machek @ 2018-03-27  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurice R Volaski; +Cc: linux-kernel