* re: 2.5.64-bk9 --  vfat32  fails
@ 2003-03-15 18:45 sean darcy
From: sean darcy @ 2003-03-15 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Forget it. Sorry to bother anyone. I need some sleep.

sean

* Re: 2.5.64-bk9 -- vfat32 fails
@ 2003-03-15 23:13 ` Horst von Brand
From: Horst von Brand @ 2003-03-15 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"sean darcy" <seandarcy@hotmail.com> said:
> I'm getting this error on a large vfat partition:
>
> lsattr /win/photo/scanner.test
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
> /win/photo/scanner.test/frame4-atTableSep02.psd
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
> /win/photo/scanner.test/frame2-atTableSep02.psd
>
> I found this because I couldn't create a soft link (ln -s ) on the
> partition. FWIW, ls -l does not show a problem.

VFAT has no way to represent a symbolic link, so an error is just to be
expected. Perhaps the wording isn't optimal.

* Re: 2.5.64-bk9 --  vfat32  fails
@ 2003-03-15 20:17 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2003-03-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean darcy; +Cc: linux-kernel

"sean darcy" <seandarcy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm getting this error on a large vfat partition:
>
> lsattr /win/photo/scanner.test
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
> /win/photo/scanner.test/frame4-atTableSep02.psd
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
> /win/photo/scanner.test/frame2-atTableSep02.psd
>
> I found this because I couldn't create a soft link (ln -s ) on the
> partition. FWIW, ls -l does not show a problem.

vfat/msdos/fat filesytems do not support symlinks.

lsattr is an ext2/ext3-specific command.  It dives under the
standard unix/posix interfaces and talks to the filesystem
driver directly.

* 2.5.64-bk9 --  vfat32  fails
@ 2003-03-15 17:51 sean darcy
From: sean darcy @ 2003-03-15 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm getting this error on a large vfat partition:

lsattr /win/photo/scanner.test
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
/win/photo/scanner.test/frame4-atTableSep02.psd
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on
/win/photo/scanner.test/frame2-atTableSep02.psd

I found this because I couldn't create a soft link (ln -s ) on the
partition. FWIW, ls -l does not show a problem.

vfat is compiled in 2.5.64-bk9. The fstab is

/dev/hdb8               /win/photo              vfat    defaults        0 0

df shows:

/dev/hdb8             32748528   3617488  29131040  12% /win/photo

sfdisk shows:

/dev/hdb8       1769+   5847    4079-  32764536    c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

There's nothing in /var/log/messages.

No problem with my other partitions - ext2 and ext3.

sean