* RE: High-pitch noise with 2.6.0-test11
@ 2003-12-05 18:49 Grover, Andrew
From: Grover, Andrew @ 2003-12-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Troels Walsted Hansen, Jean-Marc Valin; +Cc: linux-kernel

> [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of
> Troels Walsted Hansen

> > itself (that wasn't there with 2.4). The noise happens only
> when the CPU
> > is idle. Also, I have noticed that removing thermal.o makes
> the noise
> > stop, which is very odd. Is there anything that can be done
> about that?
>
> I had the same problem with my Dell Latitude C600 and newer
> kernels with
>   HZ>100. The solution I found was to add "apm=idle-threshold=100" to
> the kernel commandline, to disable APM idle calls.
>
> You should monitor the temperature of your laptop to make sure it
> doesn't spin wildly and create extra heat if you use the same
> solution.
>
> Using ACPI instead of APM might also be a solution?

Here's the answer from another thread:

"It's not normal, but it means they used cheap capacitors. This is known
as the acoustic noise issue. It's related to PCB vibration as a result
of the piezo electric effect on the caps. What is the timer tick
frequency? ... The 1ms gives a nice 1kHz tone. It's related to the
voltage change of C4 exit."

Regards -- Andy

* High-pitch noise with 2.6.0-test11
@ 2003-12-05  6:31 Jean-Marc Valin