* RE: centrino
@ 2003-05-02 20:05 Grover, Andrew
From: Grover, Andrew @ 2003-05-02 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Baker, linux-kernel

> From: Jeffrey Baker [mailto:jwbaker@acm.org]

> Here was my collected experience on a Centrino machine,
> before I returned it in favor of an iBook:

> [snipped description of how PM, cpu perf states, and wlan don't work
on Linux]

It's kind of sad, but I don't think that this means that Centrino has
somehow worsened the Linux laptop experience -- it's just one example of
how *all* laptops aren't optimal under Linux.

OEMs tried selling Linux laptop SKUs a few years ago and they didn't
sell. If the Linux community wants good laptop support, it cannot rely
on anyone but itself to make that happen. Just like Linux on servers in
the old days. :) I can see this happening on acpi-devel and cpufreq
mailing lists, but obviously, as your experience proved, there's still
work to do.

Regards -- Andy

* Re: centrino
@ 2003-05-02 18:32 Jeffrey Baker
From: Jeffrey Baker @ 2003-05-02 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Here was my collected experience on a Centrino machine,
before I returned it in favor of an iBook:

The AGP worked in 2.4.21-pre but not in 2.5.68-mm2,
regardless of agp_try_unsupported=1.  The Radeon 9000
Mobility in the Acer Travelmate is supported in XFree86
4.3.0.  Don't know about the IBM.

The IDE DMA seemed to work fine in both 2.4.21 and 2.5.68.

Power management didn't work at all because ACPI is a sick
joke.  In 2.4 ACPI does nothing, and in 2.5.68 it can put
the machine to sleep, but not wake it up.  APM could almost
wake the system from sleep, but then it crashed immediately.
ACPI incorrectly reports the state of the system fans, the
battery, the battery charger, and the temperature sensor.
In other words, no part of it functions correctly .  This is
either a problem with Centrino chipset in general or Acer
BIOS programming in particular.

CPU frequency scaling didn't work in either kernel but there
seem to be rumbles of reverse engineering going on with
that.

The wireless doesn't work in any kernel, and Intel have
stated specifically on their web site that they have no
plans for any future Linux driver for that device.

The Centrino package is altogether hostile to Linux.

-jwb

* Centrino
@ 2003-05-02  4:53 Anders Karlsson
                   ` (2 more replies)