* Ryzen 2700 Temperature offset?
@ 2018-06-07  3:03 Kai Heng Feng
From: Kai Heng Feng @ 2018-06-07  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Guenter,

A user thinks the Ryzen 2700 temperature may not be correct [1].
Can you take a look when you have time? Thanks.

Also, where can I find all these temperature offsets? I googled but with no
result.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1774817

Kai-Heng

* Re: Ryzen 2700 Temperature offset?
@ 2018-06-07 15:49 ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2018-06-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 11:03:13AM +0800, Kai Heng Feng wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> A user thinks the Ryzen 2700 temperature may not be correct [1].
> Can you take a look when you have time? Thanks.
>
> Also, where can I find all these temperature offsets? I googled but with no
> result.

Problem is that the offsets are not documented in public, making it
difficult to find out. For Ryzen 2700, there is currently no offset
configured; I was told that there is none. For Ryzen 2700X, the offset
is 10 degrees C.

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1774817

The key here is the commit mentioned in the log (1b59788979acd). It does
not only adjust the per-CPU offset, but also takes a configurable offset
of 49 degrees C into account. You'll need to apply that patch in your
kernel, or the temperature may be off by 49 degrees C.

Hope this helps. If not, please let me know. Note that I am travelling;

Guenter

* Re: Ryzen 2700 Temperature offset?
@ 2018-06-09 19:03   ` Kai-Heng Feng
From: Kai-Heng Feng @ 2018-06-09 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

at 23:49, Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 11:03:13AM +0800, Kai Heng Feng wrote:
>> Hi Guenter,
>>
>> A user thinks the Ryzen 2700 temperature may not be correct [1].
>> Can you take a look when you have time? Thanks.
>>
>> Also, where can I find all these temperature offsets? I googled but with
>> no
>> result.
> Problem is that the offsets are not documented in public, making it
> difficult to find out. For Ryzen 2700, there is currently no offset
> configured; I was told that there is none. For Ryzen 2700X, the offset
> is 10 degrees C.

I am still quite interesting where you get this information...

>> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1774817
>
> The key here is the commit mentioned in the log (1b59788979acd). It does
> not only adjust the per-CPU offset, but also takes a configurable offset
> of 49 degrees C into account. You'll need to apply that patch in your
> kernel, or the temperature may be off by 49 degrees C.

So unless AMD shares these offsets value, we can never know what correct
offsets are?

Kai-Heng

@ 2018-06-10  5:14     ` Guenter Roeck
From: Guenter Roeck @ 2018-06-10  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 03:03:47AM +0800, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
> at 23:49, Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 11:03:13AM +0800, Kai Heng Feng wrote:
> >>Hi Guenter,
> >>
> >>A user thinks the Ryzen 2700 temperature may not be correct [1].
> >>Can you take a look when you have time? Thanks.
> >>
> >>Also, where can I find all these temperature offsets? I googled but with
> >>no
> >>result.
> >Problem is that the offsets are not documented in public, making it
> >difficult to find out. For Ryzen 2700, there is currently no offset
> >configured; I was told that there is none. For Ryzen 2700X, the offset
> >is 10 degrees C.
>
> I am still quite interesting where you get this information...

Primarily lots of online research. Windows tools usually support the
offsets, so screendumps help in some cases.

> >>[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1774817
> >
> >The key here is the commit mentioned in the log (1b59788979acd). It does
> >not only adjust the per-CPU offset, but also takes a configurable offset
> >of 49 degrees C into account. You'll need to apply that patch in your
> >kernel, or the temperature may be off by 49 degrees C.
>
> So unless AMD shares these offsets value, we can never know what correct
> offsets are?

Unfortunately that is correct.

AFAIK the information is available from AMD under NDA. I can not sign such an
NDA, and even if I could and would, I could not use the information in an open
source driver. Kind of a loose-loose situation. If you (Canonical) have any
influence at AMD, it might be useful to let them know that their policy is
not very helpful.

Guenter

@ 2018-06-15 21:56       ` Rudolf Marek
From: Rudolf Marek @ 2018-06-15 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai-Heng Feng, jon.grimm

Hi Jon,

Please can you help?

Thanks
Rudolf

@ 2018-06-15 22:15         ` Grimm, Jon
From: Grimm, Jon @ 2018-06-15 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Marek, Kai-Heng Feng

Hi Rudolf,

Yeah, let me do some checking.  I was already aware that our docs were missing this information; need to check if there are actual plans to address or not.

Best Regards,
Jon