* RE: FW: I think I've found a serious bug in AMD Athlon page_alloc.c routines, where do I mail the developer(s) ?
       [not found] <E14znhi-0003HR-00@the-village.bc.nu>
@ 2001-05-15 23:12 ` David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2001-05-15 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me.
I wonder if DFI has a bios or chipset patch available and whether that would
help ?
Maybe disabling the VIA chipset support in the kernel and running generic
drivers would help ?
Thanks.
Keep up the good work anyways !

Regards
David Wilson
Technical Support Centre
The S.A Internet
0860 100 869
http://www.sai.co.za

page_alloc.c routines, where do I mail the developer(s) ?

Known funny. Only shows up on via chipset boards. Right now we think but
have
not proven its a hardware flaw somwhere

* Re: FW: I think I've found a serious bug in AMD Athlon page_alloc.c routines, where do I mail the developer(s) ?
@ 2001-05-16 20:35   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-05-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilson; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> I wonder if DFI has a bios or chipset patch available and whether that would
> help ?
> Maybe disabling the VIA chipset support in the kernel and running generic
> drivers would help ?

Play with ideas see what you find out. You might strike lucky. So far nobody
else has

* RE: FW: I think I've found a serious bug in AMD Athlon page_alloc.c routines, where do I mail the developer(s) ?
@ 2001-05-17  9:20     ` David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2001-05-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Alan,

Mmm no luck so far ;(
I've checked that the bios is the latest available and there doesn't seem to
be any type of chipset software patch or upgrade.
What I have done is tried compiling the kernel for AMD K6/2, K6/3, .....this
seems to work nicely and it's stable.
It seems that I'll have to give the "Athlon" support a miss for now. ;(

How does one go about obtaining a Transmeta chip ? I'm really keen to try it
;-) ...anyways probably just a fantasy for now.

Thanks for the help anyways and keep up the fantastic work !

Regards
David Wilson
Technical Support Centre
The S.A Internet
0860 100 869
http://www.sai.co.za

@ 2001-05-16  8:05   ` David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2001-05-16  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hahn; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me, yea I'm running my fsb at 100
already....still seems to be the same problem.
I donno, I'm just gonna have to mess around with things till I get it right
;-)

Thanks for the guidance anyways.

Regards
David Wilson
Technical Support Centre
The S.A Internet
0860 100 869
http://www.sai.co.za

From: Mark Hahn @ 2001-05-15 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilson; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-05-15 22:47 David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2001-05-15 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all, howzit going ? ;-)

Maybe I'm being dumb but I've been working with Linux long enough not to
make a silly mistake *I hope*.

I think I've found a serious bug in AMD Athlon page_alloc.c routines in
kernel 2.4.4.
I'm running an AMD athlon 850 running at 100x8.5, everything is setup
correct on the DFI AK75-EC motherboard, if I set the CPU kernel type to 586
everything is 100%, if I use "Athlon" kernel type I get:
kernel BUG at page_alloc.c:73

The system then dies with:
exit mmap: map count is 13
I also get various "unable to handle paging requests" etc. etc.

I've changed RAM, Motherboard etc... still the same.
Also the same system runs linux-2.2.16 100%

I'm not subscribed to linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, so please cc me in your
reply to the list.
Thanks.

Regards